I tortured myself and watched all of Caprica on the weekend.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gingerbread Demon, Jan 17, 2022.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

Yes I know people, well some people gush over this one but honestly how could you make a show with not one likeable person in the entire cast.

You make Caprica that's how.

It felt like a soap opera with robots and guns.

I just don't know what they were going for here, sure it's their attempt to write the Cylon origin story and those clips on the final episode kind of sealed that deal but the series felt very disjointed and all over the shop. I have not one nice thing to say about anyone on the show and well their actors did their job if that's the feeling I was meant to come away with. Final scene with whatshername rising out of the goo bath, was she a whole flesh and blood Cylon or mechanical with a fleshy coating like terminators? I'm not even sure what they said because I've forgotten most of the dialogue.

So Clarice Willow is the spiritual mother of all Cylons hmmmmmmmm

6/10 and that's just for the production and look.

And the amount of plot armor on some characters like Lacy. Sheesh wanted her dead before the series ended utterly unlikable.

The mafia people that was a pisstake wasn't it? cross between italians and Jews. I found that offensive.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember liking a lot of the characters on it.
    And I think part of the issue with it feeling disjointed to you might be due to the fact that it wasn't originally meant to be about the Cylons, it was originally a completely original movie, but then Universal got RDM and David Eick together with it's creator, and they decided to add the BSG elements and make it a series about the Cylons' origin.

3. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

They also did a big conceptual retool during the midseason break ("More shooting, less dancing"), and probably a less drastic one between the pilot and the season proper. If DS9 and BSG are examples of "plot jazz" that worked out, Caprica is the opposite, where it didn't have the kind of strong thematic foundation that would allow it to figure out what it would be as it went along and seem like it always knew.

Commander Troi likes this.
  4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that you mention it, I think I do remember noticing a bit tonal shift after the midseason break.
    The one thing I remember best, is that overall I actually liked it better than a lot of BSG.

5. Gingerbread Demon

I wondered that one myself. It felt at the start like it was going one way and then there was other story bits that felt they were added on. I would have been fine with this had it just been a drama set in the BSG universe but it is what it is I guess, some of it just felt forced and tacked on.

Also on my DVD set the menus are weird.
    Disk 1 says "season 1 disk 2" on the DVD menu Yet the episodes are in the right order

6. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds like Fear The Walking Dead. Was not one person from the original cast who had their character die that I felt any sadness over before I quit watching the show.

Gary Mitchell and Commander Troi like this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't start watching Fear until most of the original cast was dead, but from what I have seen of them, the new cast is better.

8. Gingerbread Demon

Well this show was made to create feelings with the viewers and for me they were not very good feelings. I wanted lots of people to die horrible deaths and was hoping the cast would change mid way through. My hopes were dashed. Maybe they can use this series as a test to see if you are a Cylon haha.

9. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved BSG, but couldn’t muscle my way through Craprica. It was awful, and you’re right…none of the characters were even remotely engaging.

10. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I remember the pilot put me to sleep. Didn’t bother after that.
    I preferred the Blood and Chrome one

USS Firefly likes this.
  11. Gingerbread Demon

I preferred the reboot BSG series even though most of it is depressing. Series was good by comparison.

12. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with that. Was a bit of a downer. It had its moments though.

13. Gingerbread Demon

I kept hoping by episode 3 this was some kind of VR dream and everyone had been shot in the head, especially Clarice

14. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I hated the character shift change with Joseph Adama where he went from an innocent man who wanted nothing to do with his mafia links to almost becoming the head of the family between episodes. The second half of the season is far stronger and where season 2 could have gone looked very interesting.

15. Gingerbread Demon

The Adamas were Gangsta who knew?

I wonder where Adama from the 1978 series fits in

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I stayed with it the first season but couldn't keep going after that.

It was practically Heroes season 3 level in terms of being all over the place. They made up this virtual game with no apparent point that you can't go back to if you die for some reason and then over-focused on terrorism motivated strictly by a morally absolutist judgment on comfort culture.

17. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I've been debating whether to ever try giving NuBSG another shot. I remember when it came out, I was turned off by the pilot because among other problems, some of the writing is just terrible IMO. :rommie: I've heard kind of mixed opinions over the years, with some people saying parts of the overall series are good and other parts just sort of meh. I've also heard at times it's seemed like the writers didn't really have a good road map to follow, and just made up stuff without the proper resolution.

Gary Mitchell likes this.
  18. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you serious? It's an all-time sci-fi classic. Now that reputation is mostly achieved by season 1 and it completely fell apart after, but still it was much better than anything else on TV.

Relayer1 and saddestmoon like this.
  19. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You should have spent the weekend sticking toothpicks under your nails instead.

Velocity likes this.
  20. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

I think Caprica should had been focused on a singular mad scientist type going around the bickering, warring, divided colonies. A sort of proto-expanse, if you will, but instead of some molecule, it's the developing drone and ai tech that leads to the Cylons.