I predict a very Meta type of genre show in the near future?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jayson1, Mar 23, 2017.

1. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since Deadpool was such a success doesn't it make since someone would take the idea of a 4th wall breaking show and make it happen on tv? Pus it's not just deadpool that has done this. 22 Jumpstreet was also a hit and while that wasn't a genre film I think it's audience is proably the same? Granted it could also hinge on whether Deadpool 2 is also a hit.

Jason

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

4th Wall breaking is not new on TV. Moonlighting was doing it back in the 80's.

3. Jayson1

yes but to younger fans they probably don't know that show. I mean I know the show but even I recall anything about it other the actors.

Jason

4. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Community, while not being a genre show was very meta.

5. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't the mocumentary style sitcoms basically do their version of breaking the fourth wall?

6. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Look, guy, if you're going to join the obnoxious club of self-loving BBSers who add their name to the end of each of their posts, because heaven forbid their av and user name to the left suffice, at least have the dignity to use proper grammar while you do so.

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

More like rejoin. He hasn't been here in many years, but this is normal for Jayson.

8. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Malcolm on "Malcolm In The Middle" broke the Fourth Wall.

9. Jayson1

"House of Cards" also breaks the 4th wall. The thing with "Deadpool" though is that it's the first genre style of show to do it or at least the first to get alot of respect from both hardcore fans and more mainstream fans. That is why I think Hollywood will try and duplicate that success.

Jason

10. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's Garry Shandling's Show.

The cast, who knew they were fictional and on a tv show, interacted cohesively with both the studio audience and tv audience.

11. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Breaking the fourth wall goes way back to the 1930s with Laurel and Hardy and Groucho Marx. This trope is definitely more comedic or humorous in nature. I would actually like to see it done in something more serious/straightforward, with no humorous intent.

Kor (a self-loving BBSer who adds his name to the end of each of his posts)