I officially began my journey through all Star Trek on October 9th...

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Shalashaska, Dec 23, 2015.

1. DamarsKanar

DamarsKanar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well with the dread of the series finale on the horizon, I am nevertheless really enjoying most of season 4 so far. The Vulcan trilogy was great. Reminded me of DS9 Bajoran arcs a bit. And great to flesh out the backstory of the Vulcans (and explain some of the less appealing aspects of Vulcan society we've seen so far on this series). But I think it is actually really good to have this sense of progress on Vulcan. It's not only humans who grow and change their culture over time - Vulcans aren't a static society, they seem to have rediscovered the Kir'Shara and evolved culturally into the Vulcans we meet in Spock's day. Good 'backstorying'.

2. Shalashaska

Shalashaska Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Seems like that's the end of the Temporal Cold War arc. New writers hopped on board, wrote some flimsy plot about aliens collaborating with Nazis, and wrapped it up with Daniels saying "thank god we're done all with that time travel crap". Glad they got that out of the way as soon as possible, seeing as this is the last season.

Watched Home too. I hope we see Captain Hernandez again, loved the chemistry between her and Archer. Sure beats whatever they're setting up between Archer and Hoshi.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  3. wayoung

wayoung Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hoshi is too good for Archer.

4. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

After a season under Coto's guidance, with some really interesting stuff and some satisfying TOS fanservice, TWTV was a startling, and mean SHOCKING, reminder of just how BAD Berman and Braga were.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

TATV is a terrible series finalé and fails on several levels but there is a decent story buried away in there it just has several elements which detract from it.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I guess we shouldn't talk specifics until after our friends here have seen it. *Grinds teeth*
    ;)

DamarsKanar and Shalashaska like this.
  7. Shalashaska

Brent Spiner on ENT is something I never expected to see, but it worked out pretty nicely. Turns out Dr. Soong is a lot crazier than we all thought, kind of adds a more sinister undertone to Data's backstory.

I like how the Augments all look like they came right out of the '80s too, maybe they went a bit far with the Khan inspiration.

8. DamarsKanar

DamarsKanar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The look of the Augments was so over the top Khan-homage! But I kind of thought it was great (in a cheesy way).
    But I'm guessing Dr Soong was maybe the grandfather of Data's creator? Although I don't see how this Soong had a child to carry on his line (all his 'children' were Augments).

9. Shalashaska

Brain fart on my part. Can't be Noonien Soong unless he aged only 20-30 years in the space of 200 years :lol:

10. wayoung

Alec Newman playing the genetically perfect superman produced by a eugenics program. Talk about typecast:)

You have the two best episodes of ENT (two of the best episodes of trek in general) coming up soon with the mirror universe.

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Mmmmmm... Mirror Hoshi and her 2-piece uniform. :drool:

wayoung likes this.
  12. wayoung

All Hail Empress Hoshi!

13. Griffeytrek

Griffeytrek Captain Captain

Let's put it this way. And I say this for both Shalashaska and DamarsKanar.
    - When nearing the end, stop watching for the night at the end of Terra Prime. Don't push on and finish the series in one sitting. Keep Terra Prime separate in your mind. Give them a day or two separation.
    - before watching These are the Voyages, go rewatch the TNG episode The Pegasus. (But keep some separation there as well, just remember the story.)
    - Carefully remove any throwable objects from the room and put them someplace safe.
    - Get Drunk. It helps
    - wear shoes
    - Watch it on a disposable tv that you won't regret putting your foot through.
    - when the sobbing and convulsions stop, and the bleeding dies down, immediately rewatch Through a Mirror Darkly 1&2 in the hopes of imprinting this on yourself as a mirror or alternate universe story.
    - get more drunk.
    - your soul now scarred and battered, give up on life and become an angry message board troll.
    - get even more drunkerer.

Shalashaska likes this.
  14. Griffeytrek

I think they are in some way contractually obligated to include at least 1 Space Nazi story arc in every Star Trek series. It's the only thing that explains it.

15. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

TNG and DS9 didn't have space nazis.
    At least not literally, unless you count the Cardassians.

Regarding TATV...
    The last 30 seconds are pretty cool. :)

16. Shalashaska

lmao

17. Griffeytrek

While not cannon, Rodenberry's pre TNG series pilot The Questor tapes gives some decent food for thought to what Gene's original take On Data and Soong was.

18. Shalashaska

That Vulcan trilogy was great.

Like @DamarsKanar said, it was a lot like the Bajoran stuff on DS9 (which I was a big fan of). For the longest time, it felt like the Vulcans had kind of stagnated, there wasn't much room left for growth. Seeing that there's still conflict and flaws among Vulcans makes them a bit more interesting and fleshed-out as a society.

It also leads in quite nicely to TOS, where Vulcans seem to have evolved and gotten a bit better at controlling their emotions (something that seems to be a real struggle for V'Las and the High Command).

That Romulan cameo at the end got me excited too. It's a shame they only have one more season left to tell all these stories, the writers finally seem to have found ENT's identity.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
    DamarsKanar likes this.
  19. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I beg to differ that they got rid of the TCW as soon as posble, it should have been shelved the moment it was brought up in the eary days of the show and nve been an element of it.

20. Shalashaska

As soon as the "new writers" could.

From what I've read, Berman, Braga and the suits seemed to have abandoned ship at the end of season 3 (until their return for the finale according to you guys). The writers could basically do whatever the hell they wanted.

I agree with you though, it never should have been a thing in the first place.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017