I Nominate Nick Cook as Scotty!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by johnhazard, Sep 6, 2007.

1. johnhazard

johnhazard Commander Red Shirt

I was looking at pix of New Voyages' production of Blood and Fire, and I happened across a pic of Star Trek: Intrepid's Nick Cook (Captain Hunter) doing a guest spot, and it hit me- what if he became New Voyages' new Scotty?

Nothing against the fellow who plays him now, but for myself and others on these boards, he just hasn't grabbed us 100%. Nick may not look much like James Doohan, but I think he has in common with JD and Scotty a certain charm and likeability -not to mention the right nationality.

Of course, Mr. Cook may not have enough vacation time to come over here every time NV films a new episode- especially with their intent to step up to a more regular schedule. And it's not that Charles Root is bad in the role, he just doesn't have that Scottish *magic*.

Just a crazy thought. Anyone else think that would be cool?

2. areakt

areakt Commander Red Shirt

Actually that makes a LOT of sense. Possibly too much sense!

Rob

3. cfauteux

cfauteux Lieutenant Red Shirt

What I don't get is that the New Voyages Scotty has a mustache and is hefty...
    James Doohan was thin and stashless in the 60's...

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the whole cast of "Intrepid" are naturals in terms of the believability of their conversations and interaction on-screen. As a group, they may be the best cast doing these shows, and Nick is great.

That said, I think Charles Root is doing just fine as Scotty. IMAO it's poor form to start voting on giving him the bum's rush, no matter how politely phrased.

5. areakt

To be fair people were giving David W. Dial the "bums rush" on Hidden Frontier practically from the first episode. He was a personal friend and got bumped up to Admiral rather than being retired altogether.

HF has developed a pretty thick skin as a result of all the "bum rushing", so frankly I think there is nothing that should exempt New Voyages, or their cast from criticism. YMMV.

Best,

Rob

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

If you say so.

This particular game simply strikes me as, however inadvertantly, inconsiderate since it's essentially setting up a popularity competition between two friendly folks who are active on the board.

7. Magic_Al

Magic_Al Captain Captain

New Voyages is set between the original series and The Motion Picture. They are showing a transition. It will probably start to look like That 70's Trek.

8. areakt

Well maybe it was a good thing Mr. Dial wasn't active on the boards most of HF's run. Like Mr. Dial, and now Mr. Root, I've been on the receiving end of public scrutiny and if I had to put up with it, and dealt with it, and perhaps even came away from it a better person, I don't see why anyone else can't. *shrug*

That's all I'm saying.

Rob

9. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

While I wouldn't doubt that Nick is probably a bit flattered and embarrassed at the same time, I just don't see it happening. The logistics and expense are huge and besides Charles is clearly working his butt off to get better. If you don't believe that just compare his performance in WEAT to the earlier ones. He obviously has accepted the criticism in exactly the spirit you suggest.

At any rate, as I've said before one of the pleasures of the fan ventures is watching the cast members improve with experience.

That said, I would agree with Dennis that Nick and company have built an extremely solid ensemble that may well be the most skilled from top to bottom of any of the fan productions.

10. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I am indeed flattered, but I have to say I like Charles as Scotty, and while my accent may be natural, trust me when I say Charles is the superior actor. :)

11. TRP

TRP Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I happen to like the portrayal of Charles Root as Scotty. I also had a great experience meeting Nick, who is also a fine person. As long as I have anything to do with New Voyages however, Mr. Root has my support in the role as Mr. Scott.

--R

12. jamesmc

jamesmc Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

As long as there is a NEW VOYAGES, Charles Root WILL ALWAY'S be Scotty!
    James Cawley

13. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like him, I am Scottish, and his accent is no worse the James Doohan's was.

On some level I feel it would be wrong to have an actual Scot play the part.

14. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

I've been saying as much for years. No one listens. :)

15. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Since when has poor form stopped anyone from doing anything on this BBS?

16. TRP

TRP Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

LOL at Professor Moriarty's comment above! Well done!

17. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Root's doing fine, and getting better all the time. If I had one piece of advice for him, it would be to loosen up a bit. He's trying too hard, trying to get everything as precise as possible, and as a result his performance sometimes comes off a bit too tense and mechanical.

Relax dude.

Have fun with it.

And always remember: True Actors don't work roles, but instead play them.

Take that to heart.

18. johnhazard

johnhazard Commander Red Shirt

You know, I hesitated posting this thing- I was just so tickled by the idea of Nick, a real Scottsman, playing Scotty, that I posted impulsively. I didn't intend it as a "game", and certainly not a competition. I wasn't trying to give Mr. Root the "bum's rush", and I didn't really expect Nick to commute across the pond for the ever increasing shooting schedule of NV. Most of all, I really wouldn't want to make either of them uncomfortable. Ihey're both doing something I only dream of, and I'm grateful for their hard work making these films.

I am guilty of not considering Mr. Root's feelings about my post. On the other hand, this "fan film" is becoming more of a professional production with every webisode. As a professional artist, my work is put up for criticism every day. When I receive it, I usually appreciate the insight into aspects of my work that I can improve.
    I would not want to decrease Mr. Root's enthusiasm for the great work he and these others are doing, creating these films. On the other hand, if one is going to put themselves out there, they should have a thick skin, and a mind open to criticism.

All I said about Root's Scotty was that it didn't grab me 100%. I agree with chardman- he's obviously worked hard and gotten better, and the only thing missing is a certain lightness. Doohan's Scotty had a lyrical smoothness about him- you could tell he had been an Engineer for a long time, he knew what he was doing, and he loved it. Root is Scotty in crisis mode- all the business, not enough of the joy.

Still, I shouldn't have set it up so that it seemed like I was comparing Mr. Root and Mr. Cook. My intent wasn't to criticize Mr. Root at all, but to put up the picture that flashed in my mind of Nick Cook as Scotty, which I thought others might get a kick out of just as much as I did.

I should have made it about that Star Trek movie! NICK COOK INSTEAD OF MARTIN COMPSTON! OR JAMES HEMPHILL! OR JAMES MACAVOY!

Anyway, long story short, sorry if I offended.

19. vtcrusade

vtcrusade Lieutenant Red Shirt

All

First I want to say that Nick and his wife are the most lovely people to be around, truly kind souls, and Nick is a great actor to boot!

Second I appreciate the support and the suggestions that people have for me in my roll as "Scotty". I completely understand that I'm not some people's "cup of scotch" when it comes to the part (John I didn't take offense to your post), but just a few notes on the subject.

I hope that in WEAT you have seen improvement in my performance, when I came into the part as Scotty in "In Harms Way" I had come in rather quickly and I had never done a Scottish accent in a part before, but did my best to copy Doohan just to get us up and running. In To Serve All My Days, we actually shot my parts with a few months in between, so unfortunately there was some inconsistency there. In WEAT it was the first time I really had a chance to play the part. In Blood and Fire, I think I really hit my stride.

That said I want to get the Scottish accent down even more. In that vein I have got a bunch of study material coming over from Dr. Chris Robinson. You can read more about her here:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/1682371.stm

Also in addition though as an actor am beginning to attempt to make this part my own. I will be making small changes to the mannerisms of Scotty so that my portrayal doesn't come off as just a mimic of Doohan, I don't want to do that. I've had some time to think about this part now, as well as talk to my fellow actors and none of us want to be clones of the previous actors doing these parts (much as the actors in Star Trek XI have also indicated they don't want to be)

I thank James for his confidence in me and say to the fans, love me or hate me, I will be sticking with this part to the successful or bitter end of New Voyages. I will also always be trying to get better. I will never think I am "perfect" and need not work at the part anymore.

Lastly my pick for Scotty in ST:XI is Paul McGillion!