I love the USS Discovery

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Gingerbread Demon, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I love the ship design.

There I said it.

My only gripe is that they never show or use the hangar door at the back and it looks like the ship is flying with an open rear end like it's about to drop a poop.

2. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I didn't like the initial design when it was announced, but the one on the show is a beautiful ship. I'd love to have a nice little model for my desk.

saddestmoon likes this.
  3. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoy the simplicity of the shapes - they didn't overburden it with greebles or layers of armor plating. That makes it a nice departure from other Eaves' designs. I only wish the nacelles were raised a bit, as seen in this fan mockup from before the show premiered.

BillJ likes this.
  4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I always liked our @Lordsarvains take on the POTT "Enterprise" here.

Though I always liked that design, not as a rebuilt E....too different from the original.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    BillJ likes this.
  5. Gingerbread Demon

Wouldn't we all. I'd love a model Disco on my desk for inspiration.

6. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

the eaglemoss version is damn good for the price.

saddestmoon likes this.
  7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I don’t dislike the series version, but I am more partial to the version from the original teaser.

Agony_Boothb, ITDUDE and Spaceship Jo like this.
  8. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I liked the design ever since I first saw the POTT sketches in 1995 in a book called The Art of Star Trek. I thought it deserved to be more than just hidden in the Space Dock corner in TSFS and collateral damage on the battlefield in BOBW. That would've been a waste, and I'm glad DSC rectified that.

It's a good thing the design was so obscure. If it had been prominent in TNG and DS9, and if they were a dime a dozen in the Dominion War during the space battle scenes, it probably wouldn't have been used as the basis for the hero ship in Discovery.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    seigezunt and BillJ like this.
  9. Gingerbread Demon

OMG can you imagine how the war would have gone in DS9 if multiple Federation ships had a spore drive.

10. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

It's my second-favorite design after the Constitution-class. Gorgeous, elegantly simple, unique.

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Possibly worse. The Dominion would reverse engineer it. Changeling infiltration or the capture of even one of the Spore Drive capable ships would be all they'd need. If the Federation Alliance and the Dominion don't need to depend on the Wormhole, then neither the minefield nor the Prophets can cut off travel between the Alpha Quadrant and the Gamma Quadrant. There are way more Dominion ships then, since the bulk of their fleet wouldn't be cut off; and then all those Starfleet & Allied ships would be pulverized.

12. Gingerbread Demon

Not if the Feds had spines and used the Spore drives to mount surprise attacks. Or mines fitted with Spore drives. Just target the most fortified dominion areas send in spore drive fitted mines into said area and boom, boom, boom.

Lord Garth likes this.
  13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I prefer the leaked test test footage version with raised nacelles, but I do like the design we got. It's definitely a huge improvement over the 2016 SDCC teaser version.

Big, industrial, weirdly hollow but for the rooms and corridors around the exterior windows. It's cool.

14. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I like the idea that Crossfields might have just been cargo carriers, or at best, big flying laboratories, not meant for extreme duration missions like Enterprise but maybe studying some system very slowly over years. A connie finds an interesting planet, passes by on its way to swashbuckling adventure somewhere, and a Crossfield with all the supplies and staff to give the system a proper study is assigned there for good long while.

Until spore drive.

15. pst

pst Commodore Commodore

god i forgot about that. that ship had some things i would've loved to see carried over, but on the whole, i'm happy with the ship we got.

for anybody who hasn't seen this:

16. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Raised nacelles would have been nice, just a small raise nothing drastic just to bring the nacelles in line with the saucer.

BillJ likes this.
  17. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Generally I like the design but things about it bother me like the entire center section of the saucer being partially detached; why? The other really annoying thing for me is the totally ridiculous flipping around spinning before the spore drive kicks in. It just seems like a pointless gimmick. I really like that it was based on a design from one of the failed reboots in the 70's which is very cool.

BillJ likes this.
  18. Gingerbread Demon

I like the flipping and spinning thing. But then I'm weird like that.

TPezz, saladdays, XCV330 and 2 others like this.
  19. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not so sure it actually flips and spins in our space, more that it's coming unstuck from our realm to the spore network where everything is weird and different. Like the weird flippy stuff that happens when you unscrew something in zero-g.

saddestmoon, drt, XCV330 and 2 others like this.
  20. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the design of the ship, and the spore drive effect is cool. But I wish we get more beauty shots of it flying through space, as was done in all the previous series.