I just called in sick

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by RoJoHen, Aug 15, 2009.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Premium Member

I haven't called in sick in about 2.5 years, and the only reason I did it that time was because I had bronchitis and literally couldn't speak (I guess didn't call in sick so much as I went into work and demonstrated my lack of voice, so they told me to go home).

I hate calling in sick, and I feel guilty because I know that one of my coworkers will have to stay a lot later tonight to make up for my hours, but dammit, I feel like shit, and I would rather be miserable in bed than miserable at work.

2. The Sneeze Police

The Sneeze Police Captain Captain

I prefer that my coworkers stay at home when they are unwell...particularly if they have something potentially contagious. I am fortunate to work with people who would rather work a little later, so an unwell colleague can stay at home to recuperate.

Feel better soon.

3. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah I took a day off once at my current job for food poisoning. When you can't keep food down, you don't attend a 45 minute public commute. I did end up doing a fair amount of work from home that day, anyway... but still logged it as a sick day.

4. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

I never understood the not calling in sick thing. Now I'm a great dedicated employee but the company is always going to do what's best for them....therefore, you need to do what's best for you and take the sick days you are alloted. Perhaps not all of them since you're so upstanding (I don't have that problem)...but dammit you should take at least some of them.

5. RoJoHen

Well, I don't technically get sick days at all.

6. Cakes488

What??? Is that legal? No sick days!!!

7. RoJoHen

I'm bartender. I call in sick, someone else works for me. If I'm sick more than 1 consecutive day, I need a doctor's note. I don't have a contract or anything. There's nothing illegal about it.

8. sidious618

sidious618 Admiral Admiral

I say that about my profession, too. :shifty:

9. Cakes488

Oh the service industry...yeah you guys really get shafted as far as benefits etc...go...it's bullshit really. No healthcare, no 401K and the only holiday you really get is if the restaurant closes.

10. RoJoHen

I agree, but it pays the bills. I make more money than my mom who is a teacher and actually gets all those benefits.

11. Messianni

Messianni Commodore Commodore

This is your boss.

Get off the fucking computer and get back to work.

Signed,
    Your Boss

;)

12. Cakes488

Then your in a good establishment! I Like bartenders...obviously, you're a friendly lot. There must be nights where you don't feel like talking to anybody right??

13. RoJoHen

You wanna know how I now you're not my boss?

We only have one computer at work, and it's not hooked up to the internet! :lol:

14. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I need to call in sick more before the end of the year. At that point my sick hours more or less expire.

15. sidious618

Yeah but then she doesn't have to pay for insurance and has a beautiful retirement package awaiting her.

16. RoJoHen

You have no idea.

17. RoJoHen

Well, until I turn 26 (2 years from now), I will still be on her insurance, so that's not an issue yet either!

True about the retirement, though. But I have no intention of bartending forever. I'm only 24, afterall.

18. Cakes488

Do me a favor and start your retirement account NOW. Big diff if you wait until your 30. Every year you waste not starting it you're losing more and more money...and you can never "make it up"...start now...heed me.

Ahhhhh 24 so young and fresh....friggin yummy.

19. sidious618

Really? I didn't realize you were so close to my age.

20. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is another one of these reasons why I am happy I work for the government. I get all kinds of benefits that we all use and abuse. Even those of us who LOVE the job we do, need to understand that when we are sick its a far better theing we do to stay home than go to work.

Now when an employee calls in sick and i drive past a bar to see their car there... thats another one of those management "moments" I would rather not have to deal with.