I hope Strange New Worlds brings back Ash Tyler every now and then.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by Quinton, Aug 17, 2020.

1. Quinton

Quinton Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He doesn't need to be a series regular or anything, but an every-once-in-a-while Starfleet fixture, like an odd blend between Nechayev and... Sloan.

Discovery's second season left Ash in the 22nd century. More than that, it also gave us a rather fulfilling Pike/Tyler dynamic. As the season progressed, Pike was able to put a bit more faith in a man whom he initially distrusted. There's history there, as well as a potential bond between Tyler and Spock -- their shared admiration for the far-flung Michael Burnham.

Besides, I feel like Shazad Latif nailed a complicated role. I admire that the writers gave him a separate path from the rest of the crew, but since we have another show coming that's probably set immediately thereafter, why not give the guy a few more paychecks?

NewHeavensNewEarth and antinoos like this.
  2. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

Hard pass for me. Hope to never see him again. Let’s put that awful storyline behind us and move on.

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Personally, I want as little Discovery-related material as possible. I hope SNW gets to be its own thing.

RichT, Tenacity, Xhiandra and 2 others like this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Quite so. Let it be distinct.

Now, to be clear, I think Ash's story is fascinating, good character exploration and interesting from a psychological perspective. But, I don't think its for SNW

ChallengerHK likes this.
  5. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The end of season 2 hints he'll be a lead in the Section 31 series, once Georgiou somehow gets back to the present.

Blooded likes this.
  6. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

Yeah, I’d place him more in the Section 31 series than SNW. He seems to fit in there much better, IMO.

7. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not a big fan of the character but if they brought him back I wouldn't mind. I very much hope we see more of Mudd though. He could be both on Strange New Worlds and Section 31. Actually when you consider the robot stuff he could also show up on Picard and Discovery if they wanted as well. In fact he would make very much sense on Picard seeing as what they have going in in regards to robots and androids.

Jason

8. Precious Tritium

Precious Tritium Commander Red Shirt

Could Mudd be in Strange New Worlds though? Spock doesn’t recognise him in Mudd’s Women, so if you did bring him back, you’d have to make sure Spock wasn’t in that episode. Not entirely implausible, but it’s just one more headache the writers would have to deal with.

Shame, because I loved all of Rainn Wilson’s appearances so far. If not Strange New Worlds, then I’d love to see some more Short Treks with him. The last one was fantastic.

Shamrock Holmes likes this.
  9. Jayson1

Spock could be ordered to never mention the name Mudd again under any circumstances.:)

Jason

Precious Tritium likes this.
  10. Precious Tritium

Precious Tritium Commander Red Shirt

*slaps Spock on the back*

This baby can fit so many classified Starfleet secrets in it.

borgboy likes this.
  11. Jayson1

It's true. Spock is the secret keeper king.

He can't talk about his sister
    Can't talk about Talos
    Can't talk about Mudd if he shows up
    Won't talk about Pon Far until he basically has no choice
    Won't talk about Sybok
    Won't talk to his dad about where he would go as a kid which he then made a connection with a Setlat
    Won't talk about Red Angel visions
    Won't talk about the singing and secrets of Number 1 from the Short Trek
    Won't tell Starfleet where he is going when he heads off to Romulus to help bring Unifaction
    Years later in another universe he...
    Won't tell Starfleet about any of the future stuff he experienced which is okay for the most part since you got a divergent timeline but some of that info could still be handy like warning them about the Borg,V'Ger, Whale Aliens, Trelane and the Q and the Gorn's territory claims and the various medical cures he must have from diseases still existing.

Jason

borgboy, serabine and ChallengerHK like this.
  12. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rather not, but if there was a good story for an episode here or there for him, I wouldn't mind him showing up. Same for L'rell Pike has a good working relationship with her, but rather not show her to often, again good story.

and as for Mudd, Hard Pass, I didn't like Rainn's version At All.

13. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd be okay with maybe a single cameo or something, but I don't want him to be a recurring character. Maybe bring him back to kick the tires of his character, so to speak, to see how he comes across when shorn from the awful, romance without chemistry he was forced into with Burnham.

I'd rather see L'Rell, if only because it feels like only half of the story has been told. By the time of Kirk we know she should be out of the picture after all, and tensions should be rising with the Klingons again.

Mudd would work best with the episodic nature of the show, but it would be tricky because Spock couldn't meet him without causing a continuity violation in TOS.

14. Jayson1

Sarek and Amanda could still show up. I also think it would be a fun stand alone story if they found Captain Killy still alive and causing problems with some aliens. Have the actress guest star for a episode.

Jason

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'd rather not have any of the Discovery-created characters on SNW.

Jadeb likes this.
  16. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Remember that Sarek has to not speak to Spock as a son until TOS to remain in continuity. Just doesn't seem worth it IMHO.

Amanda, on the other hand, would be fine.

borgboy and NCC-73515 like this.
  17. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would too. I wouldn't mind a two part arc showing the Klingon Empire becoming less receptive to L'Rell's rule, and more expansionistic, resulting in possible concerns with the Romulans and Klingons fighting and with increasing tension with the Federation.

Pike just shakes his head sadly and goes "We haven't seen the last of their warriors..."

18. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

Strange New Worlds not Revisited Slightly Odd Worlds. Cerritos is better with second contact stuff.

Ash has had his arc. If they return to him it needs to be without a lot of the old baggage, and SNW will not be a good place for that. There is one thing that binds Tyler and Pike, namely Tenavik, Perhaps Tenavik is The Albino, but due to the tragic circumstances of Kenneth Mitchell's illness, I hope they choose to leave that story alone.

19. dinnae ken

dinnae ken Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

But then the show would be called Familiar Old Worlds.

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'd hope they wouldn't be pulling out Sarek and/or Amanda every other episode the way Disco did. I LOL'ed in one episode when Burnham said she hadn't seen them in a long time!

TOS Sarek: Didn't approve of his son's choice to join Starfleet; took another couple of decades after he started speaking with Spock again to pay his son's Starfleet comrades a compliment.

Disco Sarek: Pretty much has his head up Starfleet's ass. They consult him on their war strategy and he hand-picks the captain his daughter will serve under.