I got an e-mail from e-Reader today with the subject of...

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Turtletrekker, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

...New eReader.com books by Terri Osborne. :thumbsup: I think I did a triple-take. :lol:

The message was of course announcing the release of "Rememberance of Things Past" book two. I've really got to get that Visa gift card...

2. TerriO

TerriO Writer-type human Premium Member

Re: I got an e-mail from e-Reader today with the subject of.

I saw the same thing when I checked e-mail before leaving for work, and went, "It's about damned time."

*snerk*

One more, and I'm out. :)

3. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What do you mean you're out? Are you not writing SCE/COE anymore?

4. TerriO

I should make this post a macro, shouldn't I? :lol:

That Sleep of Death will be my last contribution to the Star Trek fiction line. I'll still be doing articles for the magazine whenever Paul sees fit to need my writing services. *bows in Paul's general direction*

There's still one more tie-in universe I'm flirting with writing for, but about a year ago it was made clear to me that, while I like doing it, the Trek writing was getting in the way of my original fiction, and there just wasn't a place for me as a novelist in any of the Trek lines I was interested in working in (although we cheated slightly, as Remembrance of Things Past is, technically, a Trek novel ;) ). So I said I would fill out all of my contracted obligations, and then it would be time for me to move on.

As much as I hate to say it, my original universe is really where my creative heart is right now. For instance, I can totally understand what Anne Rice said now when she said Lestat used to talk to her. I have a lead character who talks to me just like that. Of course it's usually in Irish and usually cursing me out for not letting her run loose in a story, even if she's not in it, but that's Rowan for you. She's very much my Lestat. I've even just in the last month met the man who's the spitting image of another of my characters, and I'd originally concocted the physical image of this character two years go. For me, that's the universe telling me that I'm moving in the right direction.

Not that I'm complaining about the work, but when you've got editors interested in your original novels, and the Trek work is stopping you from finishing those novels, something's got to give. I've really done everything I could have possibly wanted in the Trek universe. Trust me when I say I didn't make this decision lightly at all. It was difficult knowing that it would mean my name would likely never be on the cover of a Trek novel, but it's the decision I finally came to realize I can live with, because it's more important to me to have my name on the cover of novels in my own universe. Heretical, I know. ;)

I may come back if the time is right and the project is right, and you may still see my name attached to a concept I've passed on to KRAD to take over development of, but for the moment, this is the best for me as a writer, and as a person.

It's weird for me to be discussing this when the SCE stuff is about to hit paperback reprint, but that's the reality of the situation. I'm a witch. I'm used to the strange and unusual. :)

I'm trying to get a talk together with an editor on Monday that I think will be a great match for the psychotically massive original universe that I'm working in. I'm also talking to a Y.A. editor about a Y.A. series in this universe, as well as putting together a 6-issue comics proposal that I hope to get done and out by the end of the year. I've also been invited to an anthology that will be perfect place to launch some of these characters. It's like all of a sudden our universe has made way for me to try to get my universe out there. I know that sounds weird, but I'm a firm believer in karma and the universe telling you when is the right time for something. And I think that time is now.

I can't wait for this group of characters to finally make it out of my head an into you guys' hands. And I'm busting my ass and finding as many formats as I possibly can to make it happen.

Sorry if that's rambling. I've had a hellish last 2 days at work and I didn't even get home from the office until 3:00 this morning. So even though I've had about 5 cups of coffee in the last 2 hours, I'm still exhausted and a bit rambly.

5. PaulSimpson

PaulSimpson Writer/Editor Captain

*Bow received* Folk - keep your eyes on the pages of the mag for more TerriO goodness!

Paul

6. JAG

JAG Vice Admiral Admiral

Yea! That is good news!

7. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

I understand your decision and wish you good luck and success with your original fiction.

Even if you go now, please don`t forget to come back and tell us about your new books when they are available. I might want to try them. :)

8. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

She's not going anywhere. She's stuck here with me. It's in her contract. Bwahahaha

Now Terri, my dear ... Get back to work on that three thousand page fanfic crossing Jane from B5 with Dr. Jumba and Stitch, meeting up with Rodney McKay ... and I want it by Monday! :evil: :devil: :devil:

9. ToddCam

ToddCam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, I'm very sorry to see you go, but I wish you all the best in the future. (Sigh. And I just reread "Three Sides to Every Story," too.)

Is this original universe fantasy?

10. TerriO

Thank you, everyone. And thank you for the vote of confidence, Paul. I hope we get to do a lot of work together.

ToddCam, to answer your question, it's dark fantasy. Two of my biggest literary influences are Neil Gaiman and Clive Barker.

And, strangely, it was at Clive Barker's recent signing here in NYC that I saw the guy that was the spitting image of one of my characters. That just freaked me out to no end. KRAD and I were describing the character to the guy, and Clive Barker loved it, so I'm taking that as a good sign. :cool:

11. terpette

terpette Commander Red Shirt

1. How do you get eReader to tell you when books are coming out that you want to buy?

2. Terri, how will we keep up with news of your original fic? Are you going to use an email list or something? I'm pretty sure whatever it is, I'm going to enjoy it.

Karen (finally back from a long lurk)

12. TerriO

1. There should be a "tell me when new books by this author are released" option.

2. Trust me. I have my ways. :cool:

I already have a domain registered for the universe I've created and the stories that will take place within. I just did it a week ago, and it's been a ridiculously busy last week or so, which means I haven't had the free time to get anything up there yet, but when it's ready, I'll let you all know. I promise. :)

I registered the domain for 10 years up front. Yes, that's how confident I am that it's time for me to pursue this.

And it's good to see you back, Karen. :)

13. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I have received the following from Fictionwise.com...