I gave you that! Misunderstood lines.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Trekker4747, May 21, 2020.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

In the TNG episode "Power Play" O'Brien, Troi and Data or inhabited by non-corporeal aliens wanting to leave the planet that's being orbited, the three are holding hostages in Ten-Forward which includes Keiko O'Brien and baby Molly, the trio have access to the memories and skills of their hosts and "O'Brien" takes something of a hostile approach to Keiko and Molly.

At one point "O'Brien" looks at Keiko, holding Molly, and shouts "I gave you that!"

Whenever I watch this episode I always think he's talking about the baby and kind of chuckle because it's just an unusual moment, especially since Molly's being fussy. But really he's talking about a bracelet Keiko is wearing as "O'Brien" goes up to her, takes her arm and studies the jewlery.

Are there any lines in the series you always see/hear and kind of misunderstand or take until following lines/scenes sort of clarify things a bit, even if you've seen the episode several times?

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hmmm... I always thought he meant the baby too, & was just being a horrible dick

I'm not sure this qualifies, but frankly, I'm totally in the minority about Geordi's holodeck love of Leah Brahms. I don't think he did anything at all, that we didn't see. Just because he told Barclay he fell in love with the holodeck program doesn't necessarily imply he was boinking her hologram. In fact, when she shows up, in Galaxy's Child, the program she objects to IS the same one from Booby Trap, with the cheesy last line about touching the engine. It's possible that's all there was, & that encounter is the love he's talking about

To further add to that, any insight, that he knows about her in Galaxy's Child, comes directly from the stuff we see in his Booby Trap experience, fungilli, "Next class Starship", etc... SHE assumes he went further (& it's a reasonable assumption from her point of view) but it IS just an assumption, & I actually don't see any evidence or implication of it being true

Jayson1, Markonian and Farscape One like this.
  3. trekshark

trekshark Captain Captain

I too always thought he meant Molly

4. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    The impressions I got from these episodes:

Geordi was talking about some other holographic woman, not Leah. Granted, he really liked her holographic self, but I think it was no more than infatuation.

If the real Leah was that sure that Geordi had sex with her hologram, I think she'd have had him charged with whatever the 24th century name for that kind of assault is (according to DS9 it's a crime to use a real person's hologram for anything the real person doesn't consent to, at least as Kira sees it).

5. Farscape One

Farscape One Vice Admiral Admiral

In DS9's case, since it was a Bajoran station under Bajoran law, it might be illegal there. Perhaps it isn't in the Federation.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually no. Remember, Odo is made aware of the situation and you'd think that if it were a crime, Odo would pounce at the opportunity to have Quark charged. But he doesn't, so therefore, not a crime.

Besides, Hollow Pursuits already established there are no rules or regulations prohibiting the creation of holograms based on real people without their consent.

7. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    However... Odo and Quark have an unorthodox give-and-take in that Odo will sometimes let Quark's misdeeds slide if there's a reason to (ie. if Quark's organized crime connections can help Odo with an even more vexing problem).

As for Barclay, he was a candidate for a mental health intervention, so it's probable that he wouldn't actually be formally charged, just required to undergo some kind of therapy.

8. The Wormhole

Odo's problem with Quark was there was never enough evidence to make charges stick. We know up until the sixth season Odo was still looking for an excuse to put Quark away. It's a concern Quark has when he gets the ball rolling on a scheme that he could face prison time for in the episode The Sound of Her Voice. It's only because or overhearing a conversation between Quark and Jake about how Quark is essentially the one that got Odo and Kira together that convinces Odo to have a change of heart and let that matter drop. If there were a law against making the Kira hologram, that would have been a charge Odo could make stick, so he would have pounced on that.
    This is the line in Hollow Pursuits:

9. Trekker4747

No Federation law, what about a Bajoran one?

10. The Wormhole

Again, if there were, you'd think Odo would pounce on the chance to nail Quark.

11. Trekker4747

He wanted to nail him on something BIG, EPIC not what was probably a fairly small crime, little more than a minor sex crime, he wanted to get him on some RICO-level shit.

12. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

Being Finnish and my VHS tapes not having subtitles in the 90s, there might have been few things that I didn't understand. :)

13. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

There are a few misunderstood lines but I don't recall them on the spot. I remember rewatching some episodes where a character said something and it never made sense to me.

14. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

Given the entity in question was something of a very nasty criminal to end up with that fate, it stands to reason he'd be cruel in any number of ways.

100% with ya on Geordi as well. He may have developed emotional feelings for ersatz-Leah, but it was the computer with its 7% of error and having ersatz-Leah pseudo-chatting him up and rubbing his back inappropriately. The computer didn't know any better, it was taking whatever it felt was a personality attribute and using it in a context that fit the command - like you or me putting a hand in a box of three-flavor popcorn, knowing in general boxed popcorn can come in any number of flavors, and unsure of which flavor is being grabbed. We're just asking for a box and got one. Little did we know the popcorn in the box came from another box with the ingredients and brand name stated. That's not our fault. Lastly, talk about having to use a corny analogy... :devil:

The fungilli was a bit creepy - but we know Geordi's perspective. To him, he's thinking he knows someone (and proving recreating people on the holodeck ain't such a great idea if the computer can't get it right.) imagining the scene from Leah's is where the creepy factor comes in. And she did indeed assume, with zero basis in fact, accusing him of some very nasty and very untrue things too. But they talked it out, made up, and became friends. An alternative timeline tells us they married too. :luvlove:

15. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The most misunderstood line is Resistance is futile, everybody thinks it's a taunt, when actually they're just trying to help everybody save some effort while they raise quality of life. ;)

ThankQ likes this.
  16. Orphalesion

Orphalesion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never understood it as a threat, I always understood it as the Borg stating a fact (from their POV, at least)

17. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

That's why Seven said they should use a nicer phrase XD

18. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Remember how disappointed Odo was in "The Ascent" when he found out Quark was not, in fact, a member of the Orion Syndicate, and had to appear before the Grand Jury as a witness only :)

I agree. And I think that from their point of view, they weren't even't just simply stating that they were so much stronger that resistance wouldn't make any difference, but also that there was no good reason to resist them in the first place. After all, all they did was bring species closer to perfection. Who could be opposed to that? So no species could possibly have a justified reason to resist them.

EDIT: I only saw later that I basically just repeated what an earlier poster had written without saying anything new. My apologies.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  19. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That it isn't a threat is why it's so intimidating. It's entirely impersonal, an emotionless, calculated statement or fact, just like how every comeback is "Irrelevant". The only thing the Borg ever have to say is that any deviation from compliance is pointless. That they even bother to communicate these statements at all is probably just a calculated action that reduces difficulty & inefficiency by some percentage.

No enemy frightens us more than one with no humanity. That's the ominous intimidation of the Borg. It's why people have been so obsessed with Jack The Ripper for so long. He wasn't just some slasher or murderer. He looked as if he was just using them to experiment on their anatomy, like he held his victims in no regard whatsoever.

20. amp

amp Commander Red Shirt

I had H&I on in the background while I made dinner and "Journey's End" was on. At one point I thought I heard the Cardassian commander say, "I lost two or three sons in the war," which takes obliviousness to a whole new level. Of course what he actually said was "I lost two of three sons in the war."

21. Yelgrun

Yelgrun Cadet Newbie

I always thought that of O'Brien's line too.

Data: Lieutenant D'Sora just gave me what could be considered a very passionate kiss in the torpedo bay.

Shelby: Data was available. I took him, we came.