I don't get the Carter hate.

Discussion in 'Stargate' started by TiberiusMaximus, Mar 3, 2011.

1. TiberiusMaximus

TiberiusMaximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't get it. What on earth do some Stargate fans have against Carter? Please explain yourselves.

2. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

What Carter hate?

3. TiberiusMaximus

Well, for one thing, Skywalker's post here. I've seen others too over the past few months.

4. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

That is the first that I've seen of any Carter hate.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Yea, I always assumed she was pretty popular, and she seems to be other places I hang out. but, it's been surprising the number of folks in thsi forum who apparently dislike her.

6. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

I was going to say "Iran hostage crisis", but... :alienblush:

7. psikeyhackr

psikeyhackr Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

This might be a related issue,

In the first few minutes of the A Hundred Days episode Carter begins explaining about meteors entering the atmosphere and Col. O'Neal makes the comment, "Carter, you're taking all of the fun out of it."

I have had conversations over the years with at least a dozen men talking about how DUMB their wives were. But I would sit there thinking, "She's obviously dumb, look what an idiot she married."

I consider Carter to be a contradiction in the SG-1 series because it wasn't a very interesting SCIENCE Fiction show. Stargate Atlantis with the interaction of Rodney and Carter was far more entertaining.

psik

8. TiberiusMaximus

It's only on this forum that I've seen fans who don't like her. I don't get it.

9. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Have you been to GateWorld, Tiberius? It's the biggest Stargate fan community to this day, I'd say, and you'll find, well, every opinion at some point over there.

Carter-haters aren't the least bit uncommon compared to some less-represented circles, actually. I think some fans just feel like she's a bit too Mary Sue in her tech-savvy miracle-working. Me, personally, I don't mind it and I find her an interesting character, although early on she annoys me a bit until they get all the wrinkles out of her characterization. Not an uncommon problem when it comes to television.

Still, she's easily my least favorite member of the team -- but don't get me wrong, I still adore her. It's just that Jack, Daniel and Teal'c are probably all in my top fifteen television leads, so...

10. TiberiusMaximus

I hear you. :) Yeah, I've been to Gateworld...I find it confusing and enormous. If I recall correctly, I once saw a thread there with over 3000 pages...haven't been there in a while. I know what you mean about smaller circles though...I've seen Carter/Ba'al shippers as well as *shudder* Thor/Anubis shippers...now that's just creepy.

The Mary-Sue bit makes sense...I still like her but I guess I can see where that opinion comes from.

11. Quinton O'Connor

GateWorld is a ponderous place and I've stopped going there nearly as often; big things in fandom can lead to divisions (Enterprise viewers versus Enterprise denouncers, for a relevant example) but GateWorld's population blows things out of proportion at just about every turn to an extent that can make the Star Trek fandom look sane.

That Anubis/Thor thing, I... whenever I see things like that, I tell myself it's just a joke. And I don't bother clicking the link because I'm afraid of being proven wrong. But yeah, that site is a shipper's wet dream; shippers of any sort imaginable go there. It's raw lunacy, I tell you.

12. TiberiusMaximus

Aye, lunacy indeed. No, I didn't click any links or read any stories...the idea alone makes me shudder.

13. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's it. The character ran to ground a long time ago. Of course you could say that about every aspect of this benighted franchise. :rommie:
    Oh wow, you want hate? Daniel Jackson hate. Incendiary.

14. Quinton O'Connor

Are you saying you hate Daniel? Aww. :(

15. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

No but Pierre Bernard does. (Took me a bit of time to paw thru his many YouTube videos to find the right link, jeezus that guy needs a hobby or a life or something.)

16. Quinton O'Connor

I have the laptop muted right now as the significant other is asleep beside me, and I don't for the life of me know where the headphones are, but I'll have to check that out with... my fists closed tomorrow.

17. BlobVanDam

BlobVanDam Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know why anyone would hate any of the main cast on SG-1. There's nothing particularly grating about any of them imo.
    Carter has definitely had her moments where she's annoyed me (her hammy overacting in Moebius instantly comes to mind), but overall I've got no issue with her.

18. AJ86

AJ86 Captain Captain

She's a two-dimensional Mary Sue. They seemed to aim so far away from one cliché (damsel) when writing her that they hit another instead. I wouldn't say I hate her though, she's just by far the weakest of the main team in my opinion.

re: Pierre Bernard, there's a special feature on one of the DVD's where he goes on the set of SG-1 (loaded with squibs) and they do a bit with Daniel shooting fuck out of him. :rommie:

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I don't hate the character, but her characterization lacked depth most of the time. After 10 seasons and 210 episodes (counting her four episode absence in season nine) I can't say I learned much about her. Jacob Carter probably had more development.

20. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Because it's only in your head? :lol:

I have no problem with Charter and never seen really any issues with her. I didn't like her in the first several episodes due to poor writing and at times in seasons 7-8-9, but that too was due to horrible writing.

Hell at times she was even decent on Atlantis which had long last it's way before she ever joined.

That can be said about 98% of the characters on SG-1. However she had 11 seasons (because of the random Atlantis season) and two DVD movies! Plus she was most likely on Universe too.