Hyperion MKII (Starfleet Museum)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Mark Davies, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Mark Davies

Mark Davies Ensign Newbie

Hi all,

I have been a lurker here for quite some time, and recently decided to actually register an account. I have loved seeing some of the 3d work being produced by your talented members and I would like to share what I am currently trying to put together. The Hyperion MKII form the Starfleet Museum: http://www.starfleet-museum.org/hyperion2.jpg

I will be modifying the shape slightly here and there as I go and will add some detail that is missing in the sketches.

Look forward to reading your comments, suggestions and feedback. Long way to go thats for sure.

[​IMG]

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Can't see the image. use an image hosting site like imgur, deviantart or photobucket.

3. Mark Davies

4. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Welcome to the board! I like what you've done so far! Very cool TOS style design. Looking forward to how this will progress. :techman:

As for suggestions, I'm not quite sure if the underside of the saucer would look more “right” if it had at least some curve to it as opposed to being completely flat? Looks alright on the orthos, but in 3D it looks off to me.

5. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice! I hope you'll be 3D-ing the Siegfried flying cannon/dreadnought one day. :D

6. Mark Davies

Thanks, I will look at the underside and see what I can do to add to that area. A curve and additional deck section maybe. I will rough it out tonight.

Santaman I will definitely check that ship out if you can point me in the right direction.

7. Santaman

publiusr and Mark Davies like this.
  8. Mark Davies

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I have added a curve to the bottom of the saucer and adjusted areas to fit better. Having fun with a few other areas but not trying to overdo it.

[​IMG]

Look forward to hearing more comments and suggestions.

9. Mark Davies

Hi again,

let me apologise for the image hosting of the wip so far, I have now paid for a premium version so that should now be sorted:

[​IMG]

10. Santaman

Looking good, its a nice design as well. :mallory:

11. Captain of the USS Averof

Captain of the USS Averof Commodore Commodore

Great looking pre-TOS ship!

12. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Ah, good progress. I think it looks awesome! Looking forward to seeing it with proper markings and hull details. Keep up the good work! :techman:

13. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

Let's not forget that this ship was designed (many years ago) by Trek BBS member psCargile!

14. Santaman

The Starfleet museum has loads of great ship designs.. and yep, the flying cannon is still one of my favourites.. ;)

15. Mark Davies

Thanks for all the comments, and I was not aware that the designer of the original used to be a member in psCargile. (small world)

That said, I want to have fun with the detailing of the mesh adding in some details such as thrusters and weapons etc etc so I hope he does not mind and that it does not distract from the original too much.
    I will work on the shuttle bay area a little next, I apologise for the pace of the build but I only get a few hours on occasional evenings to model unfortunately. I will keep the updates coming with significant changes for your feedback before pressing on too far in the event major changes are needed.

Again, many thanks.

16. psCargile

psCargile Captain Captain

Carry on.

Hard to believe the design is 20 years old.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
    publiusr likes this.
  17. Masao

I started drawing historic starships in 1993, after I saw black and white photos of Greg Jein's Daedalus model in the Okudas' Star Trek Chronology. A few months later I got my first (color!) Apple computer and started drawing vector images with Freehand. I had four ship designs published in a (paper!) fanzine in 1997. I got on the Internet in 1999 and started my website. About the same time I saw psCargile's chart of side views of ships with a similar evolution of the primary hull (Daedalus to flattened ball to half a flattened ball with plates to Constitution). I asked him if I could include one of his ship designs in my website. I used the same name for the ship as he did and added top, front, and rear views. His design has many offspring and will live forever!

18. comsol

comsol That Guy Premium Member

I still have those GEC issues with your designs. I have to say, as much as I liked some of the other artists there, your ships were my favorites,

19. Masao

Thanks, comsol. The GEC died in 1998, when most "galactic engineers" had started using the Internet (a year before I did). I wonder if any paper fanzines are still being printed. Similarly, are buggy whips still being manufactured?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  20. comsol

comsol That Guy Premium Member

I don't know if there are any paper fanzines left - I suspect there are (there was a comic shop in the Delmar Loop called Star Clipper that had a back shelf with what looked like newly printed fanzines) I never really got a good look at them, and the shop closed down a year or so ago, and I don't recall seeing them at the new comic shop that replaced them. I hope that there are some still out there, I'd hate to think that we are losing that bit of history in the age of the internet.