Hybrid Warp/Slipstream Drive

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Serin117, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Serin117

Serin117 Commander Red Shirt

Just a bit of a daily.

Been reading the full circle novels for the first time, and decided to have a hack at modelling a hybrid drive that one might find in whatever comes after the Vesta. Or I guess, given the size, something akin to the Merian class .
    Had it in my head from the beginning that a slightly more organic looking design was in order. Having flowing curves was always on the cards.
    You'll also note the weird orange-blue-green colours from Voyagers first slipstream modification.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a quick eevee realtime render. It needs some rotational movement in the centre core.

Go-Captain, Atolm, gorn81 and 4 others like this.
  2. Serin117

Started on the compartment proper. So cozy!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this is pretty darned cool, and I have nothing negative to say. I look forward to seeing what else you do with this. Not really much content in this comment, I realize, but I noticed that all you were getting were likes and no commentary, and I know I'd want some comments, so... here's that. ;)

4. Serin117

I crave validation in the form of comments! :P
    Sanks mate. I do realise its not much, but I figured it would at least be interesting to log the kind of stuff one can throw together rather quickly in this realm.

5. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really like the engine effect. Looks great in motion and as a single render! Interesting design for the room. Looks great so far!

Serin117 likes this.
  6. USS Triumphant

To be clear, I wasn't being sarcastic or condescending. I really do like it quite a lot - if I didn't, I wouldn't have said anything. And I think we ALL crave at least a little validation in the form of comments, or else, why post anything? At least we can own that it's both silly and true. ;)

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I looked into the void...

I think this is a great concept, though part of me is wondering if there would be different colored matter or energy in each of the side tubes?

8. Serin117

I know mate, don't worry!

Different colours you say?!
    I'm not sure I like it much when its this different. Maybe a more subtle kinda more energetic blue compared to the centre core. More compression etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

gorn81, MisterD and USS Triumphant like this.
  9. Serin117

Working on the ejection basics.

[​IMG]

Also, unintentional happy core!

[​IMG]

gorn81, MisterD and Michael like this.
  10. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Neat design but I think a slipstream Drive can do warp speeds as well. We had a look what they looked like in that Voyager episode.

11. USS Triumphant

I like your original colors for regular operation, and then perhaps it gets that deeper blue when in active slipstream, and moves on through purple and into that fuchsia color when under heavy stress? (Captain, I'm giving it all she's got, anymore and we'll breach the core! ;) )

12. Serin117

Yeah, that was kinda my thought. Just noodling with how to make it significantly different to angry voyager core.
    Something like...

[​IMG]

The way I read it in voyager was that the slipstream drive was more or less just tacked onto the warp core, with some bulky bits and some weirdly incongruous colours. The slip drive drawing on the warp cores energy, perhaps? But a very different form of propulsion with a very different baseline speed.
    This is more or less how Beyer describes the Full Circle fleets drives. Hybrid warp/slipstream. I'm running with it.
    In fact I don't I've seen varying slipstream velocities described in the novels.

gorn81 and fireproof78 like this.
  13. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

In one of the books they say it’s 10 times faster than max Warp; meaning with Voyager’s being Warp 9.975 which would take it 3 months or so to get to the Delta Quadrant (barring they could keep that speed going), it would take them only 9 days with slipstream.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first and third worked very well. But, I think the overall design is very good and the "angry" one looks great :D

15. Serin117

16. Serin117

I've been pushing to get this finished during a uni break.
    Mostly just adding random visually pleasing hardsurface details at this point. Trying to maintain some link to the original looks in the basic shapes, but also push out beyond the oldschool.
    Then its onto final texturing and setting up a scene. Tossing up between exploded component & weird glowy alien device.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
    gorn81, MisterD and publiusr like this.