Hulu making Marvel based Adult Animation

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by kirk55555, Feb 11, 2019.

1. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

https://variety.com/2019/tv/news/ma...ck-modok-hit-monkey-dazzler-tigra-1203134321/

Its being compared to The Defenders, with it being four mini series (Howard the Duck, M.O.D.O.K., Hit-Monkey and Tigra & Dazzler) that will eventually come together in a mini series called "The Offenders".

This could be interesting. Kevin Smith is writing Howard the Duck, so I'm excited for that (I wonder if they'll get Seth Green to reprise his role as Howard from the GotG end credit scene). But, I'm worried about Tigra & Dazzler. I think I'm one of the only people who genuinely enjoys Dazzler (and Tigra, actually) as a character, and I really don't need to watch a bunch of jokes about how crap Disco is/how washed up Dazzler is. I hate it when shes treated like a joke in the comics, and I don't see an adult animated show treated her like anything but a joke. I say that because 99.9% of adult cartoons that aren't Venture Bros or Rick & Morty generally don't give a shit about writing a good show, they just care about filling every line of dialog with shitty jokes that wouldn't work in prime time. Plus, one of the writers biggest credits is South Park, and that show is so fucking terrible at this point that anyone who has worked on it in the last decade shouldn't be allowed to touch anything.

Still, Howard should be fun, and M.O.D.O.K.., which is being done by Patton Oswalt, has potential. hulu has never had a single good "Hulu Original" in my opinion, so it would be nice if I could justify the monthly hulu fee for something besides watching old TV shows that Netflix doesn't have.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmm, that's an interesting combination of characters.
    Howard the Duck definitely has the most potential, Patton Oswalt's involvement in M.O.D.O.K. put's it in second, but some of the credits of the people involved in the other two make me a bit hesitant. I'm still curious, but I'm not as excited as I would be if people with credits I liked better were involved.

3. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. I didn't think it was possible to make an entire series of Marvel projects without involving a single character that is even remotely interesting.

4. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Curious set of consecutive posts :)

Kor and Turtletrekker like this.
  5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, I'd be interested in seeing a Howard the Duck cartoon. I like Tigra, too, but Dazzler is a character that should never have existed (how can they have killed off every major character in the Marvel Universe but not Dazzler). MODOK? No. And I don't even know what a Hit-Monkey is. :rommie:

6. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Do NOT diss Dazzler!:scream::mad::censored:

Admiral2 likes this.
  7. kirk55555

Yeah, dazzler is a great character. But, most people don't actually read any comics with her, and just go off the initial idea of a disco themed hero (who pretty much debuted once disco was dead) and her first costume (which is actually decent if you ignore that its connected to disco).

Just an fyi for anyone not aware, she's gone past the disco stuff in the last 38 years, and had a bunch of interesting stories. She even lead an Exiles like team in the second (and unrelated to the first) volume of X-Treme X-Men, and that was a solid, very overlooked book. Her original solo comic was also pretty good, at least the first half.

In my opinion she's about a 1000 times better as a character then, say, Gambit (who only works as part of a team or a partner to Rogue), she just gets a lot of shit because "LOL, Disco". Also, she is extremely powerful. She can do everything from hypnotize people to create holograms to literally melt metal with lazer beams. Give me that over the guy who throws playing cards on any superhero team.

DrCorby and Turtletrekker like this.
  8. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You shouldn't assume you know why people don't like a character.

I have no problem with the disco, her costumes or her powers. I just find her a largely irritating or sometimes just plain boring character.

In fairness to Dazzler, I will say that's almost entirely based on her pre-1990's Uncanny X-Men appearances, plus the idiotic gladiator story from that terrible 'Beauty and the Beast' miniseries and the New Mutants. And I did recently read a 90's Mojo/Longshot story where she seemed somewhat improved. If that were my first introduction, I'd say she was a character with potential. But not a character I would immediately, genuinely like. In fact I think I've only read a single issue where I genuinely liked her as a character (when she and Rogue made peace).

But I'd love to see that she improved later on. I don't think I've read any Dazzler after that Mojo story I mentioned. But I'll definitely give that X-treme title a try since I really love the Exiles.

DrCorby likes this.
  9. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

This is a good news (maybe) bad news for me, I don't want to get hulu so I won't see these. I'd be really interested in M.O.D.O.K but I thought he should have shown up on Agents of Shield. Tigra should be with the Avengers. Dazzler could be really good or really terrible, depending, but I liked the comic character, I remember her best from being on trial for killing Klaw.

10. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dazzler has legit been halfway cool the last 5-10 years or so. I seem to recall that she was even briefly an agent of Shield back in the time when Cyclops was mentoring the original 5 time displaced X-Men.

Holy team-up!!! It just hit me as I was typing that (about Dazzler being in Shield). Tigra and Dazzler! An Avenger and an X-Man are teaming up in the same show! Is this the first sign of the new MCU/Disney/Fox/X-Men synergy?

11. kirk55555

You know, since its not a big plot or anything in the comics I'll just spoil this: Dazzler was barely an agent of SHIELD. Fairly soon after she got the position Mystique kidnapped Dazzler, drugged her into unconsciousness for months to harvest her blood to make the Mutant Growth Hormone drug, and took Dazzlers place inside SHIELD (disguised as her, obviously). So, Dazzler being in SHIELD wasn't that cool or interesting, because 90% of her time in SHIELD was actually Mystique pretending to be her (SHIELD really needs better anti-shapeshifter defenses).

12. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

I’d like to see a Howard the Duck series based around one of the more recent runs where he’s a detective dealing with what no other hero will bother with. Aunt May was his secretary and Spider-Man was an emotional wreck of a man unable to deal with any loss. Howard was briefly abducted by aliens and Spidey saw him disappear. Assuming he’d died he had made a makeshift memorial and seemed to be living there for a while. Aunt May also missed an appointment to meet him in the park, causing him to immediately assume she died and began weeping and weakly repeatly the he failed Uncle Ben.

13. Turtletrekker

publiusr, Awesome Possum and Greg Cox like this.
  14. YLu

YLu Captain Captain

ROTFLMAO that, after all the speculation about what the first fruits of th Disney/Fox merger would be, it ends up being a Dazzler/Tigra team up comedy.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, as much as I love the big names like Spider-Man, Batman, Iron Man, Superman, ect. I always find my self a bit more curious when they go for more obscure characters like Dazzler, Tigra, and M.O.D.O.K.

Marsden likes this.
  16. Turtletrekker

Marvel has always had animation rights to X-Men characters. This has nothing to do with the merger, which isn't even complete yet.

17. kirk55555

Marvel may have had the rights, but they've gone out of their way to ignore the X-Men (and FF) in various spin off media for years, doing everything from apparently keeping X-Men characters out of some video games (There is no way capcom decided to drop every X-Men character from Marvel Vs Capcom Infinite of their own free will), to even editing shirts/calenders/etc that use team up images with a bunch of marvel heroes so that there are no X-Men characters or references, even if the images originally had them. The FOX merger is obviously making Disney/Marvel stop what had to have been at least a quiet near ban on X-Men merchandise/media tie in stuff.

18. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

"Adult Animation"? Wasn't that a Hall & Oates song?

It's hard to ignore that costume being connected to disco. That costume was disco incarnate.

19. kirk55555

As someone born in 1990, I never would have known she was a disco based singer if the comics didn't tell me. I'd just have figured she was a bit out there, like most pop singers (and superheroes, for that matter). Its probably easier for her to pull of the look then a male hero (a guy dressed like its the 70s disco craze would have been a lot more obvious to me).

I honestly think her 80s costume (the blue body suit with brown jacket and red headband) is more dated. Its not a terrible cosutme, but it feels more dated to me.

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

As someone who's old enough to remember the late '70s--trust me, she was a walking roller skating disco ball! :lol:

Nerys Myk, Greg Cox and jbny67 like this.