Hugo Award Nomination?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by ITDUDE, Apr 1, 2018.

1. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

2. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Rahul and ITDUDE like this.
  3. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anyone want to know the last Star Trek episode that was nominated for a Hugo?

"A Night In Sickbay" in 2003

(and also "Carbon Creek," which was worthy of the win, imo)

Rahul and KennyB like this.
  4. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

I could see Carbon Creek getting the award yeah. Still one of my favorite ENT episodes. Night in Sickbay.. yeeesh.

5. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

As a small side note only the 9 episodes that aired in 2017 were eligible.........so the 6 from Chapter 2 will be in the running next year.

6. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know what? Every Star Trek fan has a few personal opinions that widely differ from the fan concencus. Here is mine:

I really fuckin' like "A night in Sickbay":guffaw:

Like, "Carbon Creek" is not a bad episode by any means. But I very much remember like a thousand different weird things that happened in "A night in Sickbay", while I have only the most vaguest of memories of "Carbon Creek". I wouldn't go so far to call "A night in Sickbay" actually "good". But I like it, more than many "good" episodes. Everytime I think about it, I'm like, "Yeah, there was an episode where Porthos peing on a sacred alien tree was the inciting incident of a Star Trek episode, and we saw a nacked Phlox wandering around sickbay feeding his alien animals, and Archer in his underwear trying to catch an escaped alien bat", and it puts a smile on my face. A lot of other, "better", episodes just seem so... bland, compared to it.

7. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good choice for an episode. It was probably a top 3 episode for me in the season as it allowed the crew to have it's hair down a bit. I am however rooting for The Good Place: Trolley Problem episode. That was laugh out loud funny.

Tuskin38 likes this.
  8. Prax

I have nothing against it, but I thought it made for a good "remember the last Hugo nominee?" joke, since people always make fun of that episode.

For me it's the opposite. I've seen A Night... probably once, but have gone back and watched Carbon Creek a few times. I love the guest actor in it, and remember many of his lines, like "I can't. I Love Lucy is on tonight," and it has such a good ending. My favorite/most remembered part of the other episode is Archer cutting up the logs at the end.

And, I mean, it is pretty cool that Enterprise had 2 out the 5 Hugo nominations for that year.

Ceridwen and Rahul like this.
  9. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Viewed as an hour of TV, A Night in Sickbay is far from the worst of ENT. Precious Cargo would be my own nomination for the worst - truly an episode with no redeeming qualities.

The problem with A Night In Sickbay is is it's a tour de force in character destruction of Jonathan Archer. B&B singlehandedly destroyed in that episode any remaining ounce of credibility that Archer may have had as a commanding officer by having him behave like a gibbering moron. Yet it's not really a comedy episode. I really have a hard time figuring out what the hell they were doing. Flawed characters are all well and good, but a Trek captain shouldn't be so wrapped up in the potential death of his pet that he can't see the bigger picture whatsoever. Thus the show "jumped the shark" in that episode far more than any other single episode of Trek I have ever seen. We gaze deep into Archer's soul, and find out he's a ill-tempered, horny, overly emotional dunce.

Stevil2001 and MakeshiftPython like this.
  10. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

"A Night in Sickbay" is so inexplicable in regards to the treatment of Archer. I can imagine that episode playing much better on a very different space show like Firefly or something else. As it is, it features a Starfleet captain not understanding why aliens would be offended that his dog pissed on one of their sacred trees during a diplomatic mission.

Actually, if you replaced Jonathan Archer with Sterling Archer the whole thing would make 100% more sense.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  11. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

I was dreading "A Night In Sickbay" during a marathon watch of the series last summer (I had never seen the entire series...only about 1/3 of it sporadically) based on it being sited as such a horrendous turkey. I didn't think it was a horrible episode. It had a unique appeal, let's just say.

Rahul likes this.
  12. MakeshiftPython

It isn't among the truly worst. It more or less belongs in the same catagory as "Spock's Brain", "Sub Rosa", and "Threshold" kind of memorably bad. There's at least entertainment to be found in the madness.

13. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, since DSC's first season was considerably stronger than TNG's and at least as good as TOS's first season, I'de say this nomination should not be a surprise.

According to the article, both TOS and TNG actually won a couple of times. It'll be interesting to see if DSC gets additional noms and if it can actually win at some point. But I do believe that the competition for sci fi awards these days is much stiffer than it was in the sixties and eighties. There is so much more sci fi product out there today than back then.

As an aside, "Magic" was among my least favorite episodes as well. As for A Night In Sickbay", a big reason the episode failed was because of Scott Bakula's inability to handle comedic acting, something that plagued him throughout his run as Archer.

14. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

A night in Sickbay was OK, any episode with heavy dose of Phlox will not be bad. But scenes of Archer saying breast or lips to T'Pol were cringe worthy.

Rahul likes this.
  15. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can see this line of thought. However, I can't think of a single other episode of Trek which was basically constructed to make the captain a laughing stock. There are some elements of TOS which came close - like when Kirk was forced to do embarrassing things in Plato's Stepchildren - but they made sure in these scenarios Kirk wasn't actually acting of his own volition, so it didn't compromise his character.

As was noted, there are certain shows you can get away with making a main character into someone you are supposed to laugh at, but I don't think you can get away with it in the Trek format. DS9 came close at times with Quark, but he was semi-intended as the comic relief of the show, and they usually kept the core of his character (his weird sense of Ferengi honor, and the odd sort of conscience he hid underneath it) intact. I simply think it's structurally wrong to attempt this with the captain, because although we can and should expect them to not be perfect, they should be able to act professional, given we're generally following the best ships in Starfleet.

16. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

You aren't alone, I actually enjoy it quite a bit myself.

17. Prax

There's a good neurotic, comedic Archer just a few episodes later, in Singularity. In that episode, everyone is acting crazy, and they're all funny(until it becomes deadly serious, and scary).

Jesse1066 likes this.
  18. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Of oourse you can, you just need the right actor to pull it off properly. There were several episodes of Ent that made Trip look a bit silly, (Malcolm too) but because Connor Trinneir (sp) was so great at comedy, those scenes never hurt the character. There were several TNG scenes where Picard was supposed to be laughed at and because Stewart was such a well rounded actor, those scenes were funny or at the least, cute. Same for Kirk. Shatner wasn't a "comedian" but coud handle comedy.

Remember the Ent episode, Babel, and the scene in the mess hall where Archer tells Trip that he (Trip) smells? That scene was so awkward and weird, people couldn't figure out what was going on. Was Archer mad at Trip? That scene was supposed to be funny, but Scott just wasn't able to find the comedy in the scene. That's why it played so badly.

Replace Bakula in ANiS with Nathan Fillion and those awkward scenes with T'Pol suddenly become funny or even cute, but definitely not cringy.

19. MakeshiftPython

Though the episode would still have issues on characterization, the episode would certainly play better with Fillion's acting sensibilities. I love Bakula, but he's always been more endearing in the earnest straight man role, which QUANTUM LEAP knew all well with his pairing with Dean Stockwell.

Ceridwen and lawman like this.
  20. Prax

That scene was hilarious.

And Trineer was good at comedy, but not so good at "angry." Nothing could break the illusion quite like Trip trying to yell at someone.