How writer's strike affects DSC

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by RAMA, Apr 25, 2017.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

2. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

If the first season isn't already completely written, this will be devastating.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doctor Horrible 2?

Kevin Wolff and dahj like this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Someone told me the stories were done back in December (or January?). I never asked for a source though.

If the stories/scripts are done, this would only effect re-writes.

5. marlboro

marlboro Guest

I'm predicting an awesome pilot episode, followed by 11 clip shows. The thirteenth and final episode will be another clip show, but it will be bookended by new scenes featuring Will Riker where we find out that the entire series took place during TNG's "Shades of Gray."

6. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

3,7% scabs to the rescue? :devil:

7. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

This might be a blessing in disguise. They could use the strike to save face, scrap the current production plans, put the designs on ice, and later make the show we are all hoping for.

galad2003 likes this.
  8. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

There isn't "one show" we are "all" hoping for. If you ask the fans we'll get a million different shows, and I think most people are reasonably okay with waiting for this iteration and giving it a chance.

9. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Aye, I'm certainly cautiously optimistic as ever, at least.

10. Kevin Wolff

Kevin Wolff Captain Captain

I just meant a well made show, nothing specific. I think that's one thing we can all agree on.
    As for giving it a chance, I'd watch it if it were suddenly relegated to a web series (Blood and Chrome, anyone?) since I'm a fan, but at the same time, I want the franchise to thrive, and I'm admittedly worried the odds are against it at this time. Give it a year or two and see what top talent is available to develop it and what type of genre is trending (hopefully not zombie soap operas). The brand is wounded again in film, possibly mortally. If the show doesn't hit, it could mean another 10-15 years on the shelf before they try again.

11. Hey Missy

Hey Missy Captain Captain

How many unused Phase II scripts are out there?

12. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

This show looks pretty good, so far - better than anything I see fans on the Internet chattering about, anyway.

And, uh, it also doesn't work like that. They've no reason at all to throw out all the investment they've made so far in this production in favor of giving an expensive and money-losing reach-around to some old-time trek fans.

13. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

No good ones.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  14. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doesn't the Internet distribution model insulate Discovery against interruptions in the script pipeline, I mean, much more than, say, TNG was insulated?

15. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

How so? They still need to produce the stuff.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, but they can dictate when episodes and seasons are released to a much greater degree, as they already have. All TNG seasons premiered in September, except season two. With Internet distribution, aligning seasons with the calendar year/season cycle doesn't need to be a thing at all, does it? AFAIK, Amazon, e.g., is releasing its shows whenever they're ready.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Good Fight, aired weekly on CBS All Access.

If its about subscriptions... That means that you have to subscribe and renew twice to see all of Discovery's 13 episode first season.

Avoiding spoilers for 13 weeks and then (finally) subscribing, to rapidly binge season one, seems tricky.

The actors, crew, and producers are people who cannot be worked like dogs without increasing their pay out dramatically, so 13 episodes every 12 months is as much as they have agreed to.

18. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

Some of us are actually enthusiastic, if only cautiously so, for the direction of the series. I know little to nothing about the plot of the series yet so it's absolutely impossible for me to believe (based on the information available) that something wasn't "well made." Frankly I just don't know. And I can't say I understand how anyone else suggest it either. I will say the cast looks amazing though. I'm not saying you can't question things happening. I'm not even saying it'll be amazing. It may be terrible. Personally, a few delays and some pictures taken completely out of context aren't going to make me lose the cautious optimism I have around it.

But, fans were upset when they heard rumors Spock was going to die. They were annoyed when they heard the Enterprise was going to get destroyed. They were beyond appalled behind the idea of there being a new Star Trek without Kirk and Spock... and the captain was *gasp* bald. They didn't think Trek on a space station was going to work either.

How did all of that turn out?

Why don't we wait and give Discovery a chance before relegating it to "DOOMED" status?

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
  19. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

They're already built the sets and filmed a few episodes, kind of late now to just throw it away.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

If you thought you are waiting a long time for Discovery... Be glad you were not a fan of Game of Thrones before it was a TV show... It took 4 YEARS from announcement to airing!

31 May 2007: David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, and George R.R. Martin appear in Second Life to talk about the potential TV series

Jan 16th 2007: HBO optioned it

(Insert WGA Strike here)

November 11th 2008: Pilot ordered by HBO

24 October 2009: Pilot starts production...

27 February 2011: HBO release a new trailer for the series

17 April 2011: Game of Thrones starts airing on HBO to 4.2 million viewers