How would McCoy regard the EMH if they met?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by at Quark's, May 27, 2017.

1. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just ran across this humorous litte exchange in TOS's The Ultimate Computer:

Now, it's not inconceivable McCoy actually did meet an early version of the EMH, as he was still around during the time of the first TNG episode, only 7 years before we meet 'our' EMH.

So, how would McCoy have reacted to the EMH? Both as it came 'out of the box', and as the EMH became after 7 years of Voyager ?

JonnyQuest037 and jaime like this.
  2. jaime

jaime Vice Admiral Admiral

Great question. I have no real answer. But it does make think of the old Bring Back Kirk YouTube vid, with its emergency bones hologram.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  3. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

In some aspects they are very similar. They would have a big quarrel over some minor issues. McCoy would even switch the EMH off. Then a medical crisis would arise and McCoy would be forced to reactivate the Doctor. Together they would become heroes. It would be even more fun to see Lewis Zimmerman enter the scene.
    McCoy would disagree with the EMH trying to become the Emergency Command Hologram though: 'I'm a medical doctor, not a damned starship captain!!!!!'

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  4. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think McCoy would definitely hate the EMH in both concept and execution. A doctor without a bedside manner, no human instincts, and only an encyclopedic knowledge of medicine? Sounds like McCoy's worst nightmare.

Didn't one or two VOY episodes imply that McCoy was one of the doctors who went into the EMH's programming, though?

Kilana2 likes this.
  5. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is what I asked myself.

Zimmerman, the EMH, McCoy and the Prometheus EMH, joined by Barclay and Spock. There isn't any more hilarious scenario I could imagine...... On the other hand... such a scenario could be bad for Zimmerman's state of health. Enough doctors present to prevent him from suffering a deadly cardiac arrest, though.

Tracy Trek likes this.
  6. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Negatively. McCoy is all about the human touch and human feeling. If he doesn't trust transporters he's certainly not going to trust the computer to do surgery on him.

7. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

McCoy's a pretty terrible suregeon - at least in the prime timeline

8. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree here. McCoy would be very sceptical to the idea of a computer program as the ship's doctor.
    And The Doctor would see McCoy as a primitive narrow-minded person from the past.
    But seeing them both in a situation where they jut had to cooperate would be interesting. :techman:

9. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Not sure how you drew that conclusion.

10. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

I don't think McCoy would even speak to it......maybe AT it or about it in front of him like it was a screwdriver or sofa.

11. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Please, the man could cure a rainy day.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  12. jaime

Neelix.

13. jaime

McCoy is more open minded than that as far as AÍ beings

14. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

...Since when has McCoy had a bedside manner? (Other than a terrible one, that is?)

His most common patient is Kirk, whom he just pesters and pesters, and negates to mention there's a Red Alert on while he's at it. His other patients he treats as enemies (well, Khan had at coming - such an amateur way to hold the scalpel on his throat!) or meat (Nancy "Heyy, I'm dying here! Doctor? Anybody?" Hetford) or nonspeaking extras (again for a reason, admittedly). Has he ever even tried to be encouraging or soothing? Or even honest?

Timo Saloniemi

15. Paradise City

Paradise City Commodore Commodore

They would bicker - sharply. McCoy would ultimately hack it though. It's the EMH that would probably get into a huff.

16. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Fisher in "The Enemy Within" springs immediately to mind.

17. flandry84

flandry84 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mc Coy is an arse scratching hick.
    Had he baited any other crewman the way he did Spock,he would be thrown out of the service.

Shaka Zulu and Nyotarules like this.
  18. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"I bet sickbay looks like a damn computer center." :techman:

ewoodcourt and Gingerbread Demon like this.
  19. Romulan_spy

Romulan_spy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think McCoy would have been very condescending and dismissive of the EMH. He would see it as just a computer, and not a "real doctor" and certainly not something that could ever truly replace a human doctor. He would probably argue that a human doctor is superior because it can actually empathize, touch, care for the patient whereas the EMH is only simulating those behaviors. He would probably also argue that the experience and gut instinct of a human doctor is better than the cold logic of a computer program like the EMH.

20. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    I think he would feel at least a little threatened by it especially after seeing what it could do.