How the Internet is Ruining Star Trek XI

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by TiberiusK, Aug 1, 2007.

1. TiberiusK

TiberiusK Captain Captain

Wouldn't it have been more exciting to hear, for the first time, at Comic Con, that Quinto would be Spock and Nimoy would appear in the film?

As much as I crave info on Trek XI, seeing Nimoy make that Vulcan salute would have been a hell of a lot more exciting if I hadn't read all the internet rumors.

Is the internet ruining Trek XI for us?

2. EyalM

EyalM Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As long as plot details or the actual script leak then I'm OK with the rummer mill.
    And it was exiting to know that Nimoy would return as non other then Spock (and not as Sarek or some oneelse as has been speculated before the con).

3. Eddie Roth

Eddie Roth Commodore Commodore

It found the Comic Con footage I saw very exciting too - even though I had previously read all about Quinto and Nimoy's involvement.

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Since I wasn't at Comic-Con, I don't feel like anything was ruined for me. :p

5. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Seeing as how only 125,000 people were able to get in to ComicCon, and seeing how I wasn't going to be one of them unless someone bought me a pass and a plane ticket to San Diego, no it wouldn't have been. ;)

Internet spoilers don't ruin Star Trek movies. Poor writing and directing ruin Star Trek movies. There's a small group of people who, after five years, still want to blame the failure of Nemesis on everything but the reason it failed. "They released it up against LOTR!" "They didn't do enough advertising!" "The American public is stupid and would rather watch a J-Lo movie!" "There were too many internet spoilers!" :rolleyes:

If Abrams really does have a good thing going here, all the spoilers in the world won't stop it from getting good reviews, good fan word-of-mouth, and good attendance from the general audience he's aiming for.

6. RookieBatman

RookieBatman Commodore Commodore

And some spoilers still have to be seen by choice. I don't think anybody who stays involved with the geek community could shelter themselves so much that they wouldn't hear that Quinto was Spock, but they could certainly choose to not read a script or plot summary if one was leaked. In all my years as a practising fanboy, I've never once read a leaked script for a movie that's not out yet, because I don't go looking for them. Now, I love a few early rumors; as long as the plot (especially the resolution) is intact, it's fine with me.

7. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

Stay out of the Trek XI sites and message boards, and you'll be fine.

8. scotthm

scotthm Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure going to Comic-Con would have been more 'exciting' than browsing the Internet from my desk, but we couldn't all make it out to San Diego this summer.

What's this got to do with the quality of Star Trek XI?

---------------

9. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy Dangerously Sexy Rear Admiral

I was never one to be ruined by hearing advances spoilers because execution on-screen trumps shock-and-awe on-screen to me. One thing that DOES ruin the the in-movie hype for me is hearing repeated overly-critical diatrabes about leaked plot details and assertions that a movie will be RUINED if a certain person isn't mentioned, in the film, or NOT in the film. I've never had a problem with having a movie spoiled to the point where it will make me not visit certain forums again, but I can tell you right now that when I first start hearing about anybody here boycotting Trek XI, thats when I'll not be posting or reading certain forums here anymore. That really gave me a red-ass here when Nemesis came out. :D

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinda surprised to hear you say that TiberiusK, as a Star Trek website runner like myself and PTM we should all do what ever we can to embrace and promote the new film, becuase if it bombs bye, bye Trek for a long time. I am in good faith that the script is pretty good lets hope the production carries out well also.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only way in which the Internet ruins "Star Trek" is that it's a huge arena for bitching and publicly nursing resentments.

12. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Absolutely Right!! (TM)

13. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

And you have to chose to go into those threads, read the spoilers, get involved in the car-fighting, etc.

That will get you 90% of the way to being totally spoiler free. But as long as you continue to use the internet and especially visit Trek websites every day, you'll never approach 100%. Small details like cast and setting aren't a big deal though, you'd have to avoid all media to avoid that stuff.

14. Plum

Plum Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

... I feel the need to point out that the issue of "spoilers" isn't just on the Internet. The recent Harry Potter spoiling by the MSM was typical of the problem today. Was in the NYP that revealed a major spoiler about Harry's last book? Can't remember.

Myself, I'm on TiberiusK's side in that I avoid spoilers. I don't wanna know what the next Battlestar Galactica season will look like or who will return. But I do know because the media keep telling me in headlines! grrr.

As for BBS spoilers... even the jerks on this BBS are better at this than certain corners of the media. :lol:

15. TiberiusK

TiberiusK Captain Captain

I agree that we should do what we can to promote the new film, but I can't shake the feeling of disappointment when I watch the Comic Con footage. If Abrams and company had kept the details secure, and if sites hadn't latched onto to every rumor to finally arrive at the truth, it would have been so freaking exciting to unexpectedly see Nimoy walk out on stage.

16. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

They can only do so much to keep details under wraps. This isn't communist Russia, after all. :p

17. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Lieutenant Red Shirt

I bailed on all forms of online communities when Harry Potter 7 was released. I wanted to be sure that I experienced the ending on my own before some excited fan (or hateful bastard) spoiled it.

If a book comes out that I know I am going to read anyway, I don't read the back cover or inside flap. It gives too much of the book away, however I understand the need to give that information out to capture the interest of a reader that normally wouldn't buy the book.

Once they start filming Trek 11, I imagine that I will stop coming into the Future of Trek forum to minimize consumption of any spoilers or leaked info.

I wouldn't say the internet is ruining the movie though. It gives fans a place to voice their excitement (and displeasure) about something they care very much about on a day to day basis. It's great to see everyone's opinion in these forums because regardless of what those opinions actually are, we all have Star Trek as a common passion.

18. igrokbok

igrokbok Commodore Commodore

WHile it's fun to keep up with the rumors and know it all before it happens, I can't escape how incredibly wonderful and blown away I felt last year when I was totally blind-sided by the announcement that new FX were being added to the original Trek episodes and that they were to debut not more than a month or so later from when the news broke.

I understand the thrill of surprise and would love to have that with the new Trek movie. But it won't happen, people and fans just can't stop digging and leave it alone.

19. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

I payed little attention to the news of the remastered TOS, I had no idea they were actually re-doing many of the SFX. Sufficed to say I was floored! I thought they did a great job too, and I'm not just talking about the ship, the entire show looks brand new. It's got a really rich look I'm loving.

20. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

The internet isn't the problem, it's a great way to discuss things and display your opinions (i.e. bitch) and we all love it otherwise we wouldn't be here.

And thankfully, the internet community is still not powerful enough to destroy any half-way good movie or even not-so-good movies.