How much time should pass between this and the sequel?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Lynn Minmay, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Lynn Minmay

Lynn Minmay Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Should it take place directly after as we follow the Enterprise on her first mission?

Or should there be a few months (or years) in between to give the crew a bit of experience?

2. Opal1

Opal1 Ensign Red Shirt

I would love to see the crew on their first mission, how they get used to the ship, their jobs and each other (most of them are newbies, after all).
    IMHO a perfectly functioning, flawless crew and ship just aren't that interesting... :)

But considering filming of STXI took place late 2007 and (I guess) STXII will be shot no earlier than 2010/2011 the age difference of the cast could make it impossible for the new movie to take place directly after STXI...

3. Captain Fine

Captain Fine Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I say have it take place in real-time, that is to say, the same amount of time has passed in their universe as has in ours, so a few years in :)
    Not that it really matters. They could set it a few months after the XI for all I care and I'd be fine with that.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

For all I care, it could take place immediately following the end of this movie...or it could take place a few years later.

I kind of think it would be fun if the sequel opens up directly after this one ended, with the ship dropping out of warp, immediately getting attacked, and Bones getting slammed into the floor. "Buckle up, he says." And then grumbles and walks away.

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I could go either way, really. It all depends upon the kind of story they want to tell. I believe that it's their job to choose, and not mine to expect anything other than that they tell it well and that it be Star Trek.

Well, there is the bit about hoping it'll be something new and different and not merely an attempt to rehash stories already told with guest characters already seen, but yeah... their job. I'm the audience; entertain me. That's all I ask.

6. Vicki

Vicki Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I care a lot more about about how good the story is then when it's set. But having said that, I would like to see more of the really really early years. Say, no more than ayear after STXI.

Well, okay, what I really want the most is a prequel to the prequel with Spock & Uhura meeting and falling in love. Get your minds out of the gutter, I'd rather see them falling in love instead of just rolling around in bed. Which is not to say that rolling around in a bed would be ... I'll shut up now. I'll settle for really good fanfic :)

7. Sparky

Sparky Commodore Commodore

QFT

8. Jayson

Jayson Vice Admiral Admiral

I would like to see them opening the movie by finishing up a adventure that TOS had in season 1. It would be a fun nod to the audience that these characters are going to experience the episodes or variations of the episodes just like the Prime versions of the crew.

For example when the movie opens perhaps you could have Kirk interacting with Balok, only to have to return to the ship because something(the movie plot) has just gotten started.

Jason

9. Captain Robau

Captain Robau Lieutenant Red Shirt

Agreed.

10. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

There should already be a sequel.

11. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

That doesn't sound very conscientious for a Trek fan. I've got plenty of suggestions. ;)

I'd like to see some time pass between the end of this movie and the beginnig of the next one, but two years would be too long. But maybe a few months. Enough time to set up the background that Kirk's Enterprise has been getting "baby steps missions" because they are so young and inexperienced, and Kirk is beginning to get frustrated by it.
    The story would unfold with something (the conflict) coming up, and Kirk decides to take the bull by the horns and pursue it on his own. Perhaps stretching the meaning of his orders to do it (fools rush in --). Naturally, the conflict is significant, and naturally, Kirk and the crew become heroes, again.

12. Sanae

Sanae Lieutenant Red Shirt

Immediately after the end of ST-XI. :p

No, seriously now: I would love to see how Kirk & C. on their way to their first important mission, maybe to support some other Starfleet ship with an older CO on some diplomatic affair, then something goes severely wrong and Kirk, who has just about earned his own crew's trust and respect, has to fight to earn the older CO's trust before they can go, deal with the problem and save the day. If the "problem" is non other than Khan himself, then I'll be a happy fangirl.

13. gimpy117

gimpy117 Commander Red Shirt

well This trek was them "getting used to the ship" the next one should be them experts. I really hope they do another good story this time.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

<NERO> I want STXII NOW!!</NERO>

15. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

There should be enough time for me to go to the bathroom and then get more popcorn.

16. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

"I WANT EVERYTHING!"

17. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The new film should be set around 2260-2261. Perhaps keeping the age of the actors consistent with the progression of time in-universe.

This way, there is no makeup or other issues that would require fudging etc.

18. I'd say one year would be good.

19. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I say let some time pass, but let the mission that takes up the film's plot be the first serious one in their tenure.

20. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

My guess is they will have 3-4 years pass between the films. Could do anything though.