How much has the Star Trek franchise grossed? I'll tell you

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by RAMA, Jun 24, 2020.

1. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

So according to Wikipedia, and its sources, which include various revenue reporting sites, the franchise grossed $10.6 billion up till 2016. Good for the top 50 in worldwide franchises!

To update that somewhat, add $343 million from ST Beyond. $100 million+ from Starfleet Command video game. $159 million in 2016 licensing, $180 million in 2017 and $192 million in 2018 (notice the uptick after Discovery). Also, add another $76 million in video sales (over $400 million for the franchise). So put that number over $11.6 billion.

Some other revenue that's harder to discern might be the Netflix and rights deals with various outlets (Crave, Amazon, Space, iQiyi, PPTV) to show Picard and Discovery. These could well amount to another $500 million as Netflix paid for all the Trek shows in its deal for Discovery, and had an option for 2 more years, at roughly $120 million per year for Discovery alone. We could easily speculate the number at $12.5 billion.

RAMA

FanST likes this.
  2. ananta

ananta Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That’s a lot of latinum!

FanST and RAMA like this.
  3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I've actually seen this question asked online a lot, and no one had any really good answers, so I decided to check myself. :)

4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

And yet it doesn’t get merch love

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The franchise as a whole?

I posted the merch numbers for 3 years (not including DVD/Bluray sales), the number is going up.

Star Trek is one of only 30 franchises in the US to make over $100 million a year. It is now close to $200 million.

6. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about licensing revenues from Games (like Star Trek Online, which their developers claim has seen a large uptick in profit over the past two years, to the point they continue to hire Trek actors to provide new voice overs for new game content); and other phone/pc 'app' related licensing revenue? ;)

7. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I added one to my total, Star Trek Fleet Command made $100 million very quickly and has been in the top 10 money-making apps for some time now.

https://www.facebook.com/StarTrekFleetCommand/?__tn__=,dkCH-R-R&eid=ARDCcb6-7DmV7BC6quOLuAyUJsHMk0zMSfVnv1FytKJC1HpB2s1YYp68QWBNV591LLz8Htb5HelyMg7T&hc_ref=ARQh8_u3mw-9XEAO_6hboD13TcgxtYvSItPMYBBlKQDGsHYSxwUY7nqt0uuWn0Yfox8&fref=nf&hc_location=group

8. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

That is well and good for gamers. Star Wars had better in store replica ships—more often I should say. Art Asylum is great however.