How many quatloos?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Odon, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Odon

Odon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

In The Gamesters of Triskelion the alien Providers bet on who's going to win the contest. I know they bet "quatloos" - does anyone know the exact quote? Is it "A hundred quatloos on the challenger" or "A thousand quatloos on the winner" or what?

2. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

I have 75 quatloos balanced on the answer to this question...come on...baby needs new shoes!

3. Shatmandu

Shatmandu Vice Admiral Admiral

It was, "A thousand Quatloos on the broad with the green hair and the tinfoil crotch protector."

Joe, noten Trek historian

4. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I see your 75 and raise you 100 quatloos!

5. Red Ranger

Red Ranger Admiral In Memoriam

New York City, the greatest city in the world!
    Wait, hear me! We can't wager on trilfles like QATLOOS! The stakes must be higher! :) -- RR

6. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    100 quatloos says this thread self-destructs when someone inadvertently mentions white slavery, black market iron lungs and/or Pauly Shore's taint!

7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Thanks for ruining it!!!! Now what can I post?

8. Odon

Fellas please, can anyone answer the question?

9. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

From a site which has transcripts:

10. cooleddie74

I've always puzzled at what disembodied brains without limbs to manipulate currency even NEED with physical coins and money. Makes no sense. It'd be like a Ferengi who's been blasted into little more than a head(yet still living)caring about gold-pressed latinum.

11. Harry

Harry Captain Captain

Well, apparently the Triskelion still existed in the 24th century, and were doing business with the Cardassians and the Bajorans on DS9, judging by their logo showing up on crates there.

12. cooleddie74

True. I suppose by the 2370s the freed thralls had further developed their planet and set up trade routes with other powers in the quadrant.

13. Odon

Well did we actually see a quatloo? I got the impression that those brains were just doing all this because they were bored, not being able to move around and all, and the 'Quatloo' was simply an artificial unit they'd thought up, like betting on piles of matches.

14. Nebusj

Nebusj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If you haven't got something to win, how do you even know when you're gambling?

15. Hofner

Hofner Commodore Commodore

I'm having a little trouble understanding you here. Money is not solely represented by physical objects. Put it this way; in the real world people who are paralyzed from the neck down can use money even though they can't physically handle it.

Robert

16. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean there actually was a currency called "quatloos" on Star Trek? I thought Futurama just made that up.

17. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

How many quatloos can I get per US dollar?

18. cooleddie74

How can there be trouble getting my point?

These beings are confined to a big transparent bubble and can only communicate through mind transmissions and waves. They have no physical bodies and seem to be stuck on a fairly remote backwater planet few know about. There seems to be no native industry aside from maintaining a stable of thralls as well as artificial energy sources/power and nourishment for the humanoid inhabitants. These Providers have no bodies, much less limbs to manipulate physical money or even a credit chip containing little more than an electronic code to represent money. Naturally, you can see why many Trekkers like myself over the years have been quizzical as to the existence of quatloos in such a limited environment.

19. Hofner

Hofner Commodore Commodore

^The money or quatloos doesn't have to be physical. For all we know they could manipulate their accounts through mind transmissions or waves.

Robert

20. stormleader

stormleader Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Most certainly! It was in the episode "Gamesters of Triskelion".