How many new episodes?

Control Voice

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Red Shirt
Just wondering will it be the traditional mid season thirteen for new series or perhaps as few as eight or nine ala netflix

Most likely thirteen, if Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, Pushing Daisies and Hannibal are anything to go by.

Makes most sense for a tight and story packed season.

Make it like what they do with soap operas, one hour a day, five days a week, runs for three or four decades.

By the time it ceases production we have about ten thousand new episodes.

It what we all really want ... admit it.

=

More than the number of episodes, I'm more interested in the type of storytelling that the season will involve. Lots of standalones like traditional Trek, or will it have more of a story arc? That isn't really something Trek has played with too often. Even when DS9 was in the middle of the Dominion War, they still had random standalone stories sprinkled throughout.

Roddenberry always complained he never had enough time to fully develop ST episodes because he didn't have enough time. TNG was on a bi-weekly schedule because of this and he was happy and it seemed everyone else was. Episode design was good. Scripts were fully developed. Actors comfortable that they've had enough rehearsal time. Bi-weekly sounds about right.

My guess it will be at or close to 13 episodes per year. But to compensate for less episodes a year, I'm hoping the episode themselves will run longer. Lets face it, allot of previous trek shows had allot of "filler" or "budget" shows. I rather go with the putting all eggs in one basket approach and get quality over quantity by having less episodes a season (allowing for more time to produce them well) but to also produce a longer run time if the story warrants it.. I also don't want the stories to feel rushed. Voyager in particular often felt rushed and solved the plot in the last 2 minutes of the show. I don't want that to happen in the new show.

I will probably won't get my wish, but I hope the new show will have 10-13 episodes a year and run around 65 minutes a piece. They even could fit that episode length into a 90 minutes TV slot if they want to eventually air them on a cable channel in re-runs down the road. Since this will be steamed, there's no reason to force the show to clock in to around 39 minutes like the Voyager era trek shows did. That's one advantage of this show not being on cable. No need to dictate and affect the creative process by cramming a million commercials squeezed into a 1hour time slot.

Based on some of the current streamed shows, theres a good chance episodes will not be as tight as cable shows. But I can also see international markets not liking this as they may want a shorter run time to fit in a traditional 1 hour tv slot.

Last edited:
My guess it will be at or close to 13 episodes per year. But to compensate for less episodes a year, I'm hoping the episode themselves will run longer. Lets face it, allot of previous trek shows had allot of "filler" or "budget" shows. I rather go with the putting all eggs in one basket approach and get quality over quantity by having less episodes a season (allowing for more time to produce them well) but to also produce a longer run time if the story warrants it.. I also don't want the stories to feel rushed. Voyager in particular often felt rushed and solved the plot in the last 2 minutes of the show. I don't want that to happen in the new show.

I will probably won't get my wish, but I hope the new show will have 10-13 episodes a year and run around 65 minutes a piece. They even could fit that episode length into a 90 minutes TV slot if they want to eventually air them on a cable channel in re-runs down the road. Since this will be steamed, there's no reason to force the show to clock in to around 39 minutes like the Voyager era trek shows did. That's one advantage of this show not being on cable. No need to dictate and affect the creative process by cramming a million commercials squeezed into a 1hour time slot.

Based on some of the current streamed shows, theres a good chance episodes will not be as tight as cable shows. But I can also see international markets not liking this as they may want a shorter run time to fit in a traditional 1 hour tv slot.
It's possible. Game of Thrones and True Detective usually have a run time of 50-65 minutes each episode.

A show like this that's developed exclusively for CBS All-Access has the freedom to have each episode as long as they want. International markets will want to buy it anyway, regardless of length.

There will be at least one episode, shown on CBS. Don't know how many will follow on CBS all-access

Back