How long before entire series is remastered?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I got to thinking about this in the TNG forum. They were discussing the possible airing of TNG in HD, and I pointed out that it wouldn't BE possible - it would require a complete re-do of all the special effects (as it also would for DS9 and Voyager). I wondered how long it could conceivably take before all three of those series could have their EFX redone and hence be airable in HD.

Does anyone know how long it will take before all of the TOS episodes are remastered? Do TPTB even know?

2. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Not soon enough.

The sooner the remastering is done, the sooner it can be forgotten.

3. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually as I understand it, they'd need to reshoot (or somehow digitally redo) all the live action as all the final TNG broadcast masters are on Digital BetacamSP tape (and they didn't preserve the actual film after it had been transfered and edited onto those masters (same with DS9; not certain about VOY).

And while the final resolution of Digital BetacamSP is indeed higher then the 480i standard TV broadcast resolution; it's nowhere near the resolution of 720i or 1080i; so TNG has an extra hurdle to overcome. TOS (and other shows where the final masters are still on actual film; have the advantage that in general film is still at a higher resolution then HD broadcast standards; thus a simple master transfer of the live action stuff will do.

4. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

As a benchmark, they are supposedly just about done with S1 NOW, according to trekmovie.com.

5. gastrof

gastrof Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

AND they're not even doing them in order, considering the way they've been aired.

The schedule already made public shows that all 80 installments will be played out over a two year period.

That suggests all three seasons will be remastered by the end of the second year.

This includes them having gone back to correct certain flaws in the CGI in the earliest episodes remastered. (And that bizarre shot of the Enterprise at warp in MIRROR, MIRROR, when the ship was established as orbiting a planet.)

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Do you mind if I quote that in the TNG forum? I'm interested to see what they think about this.

7. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

Last I heard they did preserve the original film on TNG (though that was several years ago). There was an interview with one of the producers about transferring the show to HD and he mentioned the film was preserved but they had to redo the entire post production stuff and it would be very expensive.

8. PowderedToastMan

PowderedToastMan Commodore Commodore

last time i heard the plan was to have it all done by spring 08. All episodes will have aired by Summer 08...and i imagine all will be on hddvd by winter 08...just in time for the new movie

hopefully something new will come along in 2009 or trek will get boring again.

9. TheLonelySquire

TheLonelySquire Vice Admiral

I'd buy them but I'd probably watch them only once. Give me TOS on a snowy, b&w any day. Just reminds me of being a kid again.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

A poster in the TNG forum says that all original film elements from TNG (and presumably DS9 and Voyager) have been preserved in the Paramount vaults.