how do you backup your files?

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by largo, Aug 10, 2014.

1. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

just curious what sorts of things/services people use to backup their files. and a reminder that you should. :bolian:

2. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i keep all my starship tool kit bits on Dropbox :)

3. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Primary files are on the main desktop computer.
    All files are copied onto a removable hard drive, which is kept separate.
    I also copy all my files onto my laptop.
    My website files exist on my desktop computer, my laptop, my removable drive, a thumbdrive, and in the personal partition on the network at work (and of course on my host's server).

I even still have files I created on my Amiga in the 80s!

I've never used the cloud, or offsite backup. Trust no one.

4. Cjohnson1701

Cjohnson1701 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I tend to save an increment every 15-20 minutes(Eg: USS_Pike_001, 002, 003 etc.), into a project folder dedicated to that project located on my desktop's HDD.

Then, once a week I transfer projects to a separate HDD specifically for my work, and google docs if I'm still working on said project.

Once I am "done" with said project it gets compressed into a ZIP file and I make to special saves. A Master File, and a Work File.

5. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I used to have stacks of burned CDs which evolved to smaller stacks of burned DVDs which evolved into piles of USB drives. Now it's a removable hard drive. I've never been big on baking up things online.

6. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

I do very much the same. Main files on desktop, all backed up on external hard drive, as well as working back ups on thumb drives.

And I also sprouted my computer baby teeth on an Amiga system, I actually owned several over the years...a 500, 600, 3000, and 4000T. Way ahead of its time. Too bad for poor management.

7. Ensign Ro-

Ensign Ro- Commander Red Shirt

Oh...and I make regular use of Google Drive.

8. astarguy1

astarguy1 Ensign Newbie

for me its google drive. i like the fact that i can get to my files from any computer or smart phone and that they are synced.

9. Soran77

Soran77 Captain Captain

I use a lot, onedrive, imageshack (Which I'm not using anymore because those guys keep raising the price), Photbucket, and of course my 1TB external HDD!

10. Forbin

I forgot to mention the main safety factor: Two drives in the computer. The C: drive is only used for programs. All files are worked and kept on the secondary (E:) drive. that way if the C crashes and burns, I lose nothing at all. You can even pluck out the E drive and stick it into another PC, or just connect it via a cable to copy your files. This has saved me at least twice that I can recall.

11. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

This. Backups in multiple places is the best idea.

I burned a ton of stuff to CD's about 10 years ago, but the damn things went bad. It wasn't anything terribly important, mainly downloaded pictures and whatnot.

12. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a 1tb onedrive account that everything syncs to - that also syncs to three seperate machines and the local machine has an external hardrive that does a daily back-up.

13. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I have 3 HDD's in the computer and 3 full size HDD's outside for backups. The 3 externals only back up what's on the 2TB internal (video).

My ripped music is on a 2.5" external & a hard drive at work. Still, multiple places.

14. Forbin

I used to backup to CDs, later to DVDs, but it was starting to take too many! I guess if there's ever an EMP, my backups will be toasted too, but it's so much easier to just connect the backup drive and let it go.

15. largo

largo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

question about google drive... if you delete a file, or it gets corrupted, does google drive have a way to restore it to an earlier point?

16. astarguy1

astarguy1 Ensign Newbie

good question but i am not sure. i will google it and find out.