How do Klingons treat civilians on conquered planets?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Unimatrix Q, Feb 25, 2019.

1. Unimatrix Q

Unimatrix Q Commodore Commodore

One thing we don't know much about, beside what was shown in "Errand of Mercy" and "The Way of the Warrior", is how a Klingon occupation force would treat the civilians on conquered territory.

If we use the example of Organia, the Klingons apparently didn't try to abuse or bully them.

In "The Way of the Warrior" at least some of the Klingons on DS9 seemed to be racistic bullies, as can be seen when the son of Martok and his companions beat up Garak.

So how do you think the Klingons behave toward the civilian population on conquered planets?

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

nightwind1, Tim Thomason, Kor and 2 others like this.
  3. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

“Manners maketh the Empire.”
    — Kahless

4. Sareesataka

Sareesataka Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Interesting post.

As Jadzia once said about Klingons, they are as diverse as any other species, some are strong, and some are weak. And in turn, some are honourable, and others are bullies. Someone like Worf, who incorporates honour into his way of life, would not bully defenseless civilians, but as we`ve seen, there are plenty of Klingons who speak of honour but do not practice it. For the most part, I think Klingons would leave civilians alone as long as they give the Klingons a wide berth.

Along the same lines, this post reminds me of a thought I 've had about the Federation and Klingon alliance. When the Federation and Klingon became allies, I wonder how the Federation would view the worlds that were conquered and subjugated into the Klingon Empire? Would the Federation turn a blind eye to these conquered worlds, or send in diplomats to convince the Klingon Empire to relinquish their hold on these worlds? Ayways, sorry for the hijack.

Unimatrix Q likes this.
  5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well, except if they step out of line, they line up and execute 200 of them at a time. Not sure how that isn't bullying the populace?

Tracy Trek and RookieBatman like this.
  6. Unimatrix Q

That's a sad fact about Klingon law, at least at the time before the Khitomer Treaty, but i'm more interrested in the psychology and behavior of the individuals that are members of the occupation forces in the Klingon Empire.

How do you think most of them behave like on the planets they are stationed?

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Probably like most occupying forces. Some are decent enough, some are monsters hiding behind the authority of the occupying forces.

8. marlboro

marlboro Guest

Not very well, would be my answer. The Klingon empire is built on the brutal subjugation of conquered planets. I've never liked seeing the Federation dealing with as allies, or worse, friends. A lot of Federation policy seems to be "We have to bend over backwards to placate the Klingons or else they will go berserk."

Gotta respect that "warrior culture" stuff doncha know.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  9. E-DUB

E-DUB Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Work 'em to death, kill the ones that object. Move in lotsa Klingons when the population starts to decline. I think that, in the fullness of time, all conquered worlds become Klingon colonies.

marlboro likes this.
  10. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Kill all who don’t submit then take their stuff and move on.

11. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Don't we see them pushing around Kirk (who they think in an Organian) and Spock in "Errand of Mercy"?

BillJ likes this.
  12. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I imagine it would be similar to how they treat prisoners on Rura Penthe... "Work well, you will be treated well. Work badly... and you will die." So, probably not well (for the subjugated race). But, in the eyes of the Klingon occupiers, they're probably fair. :klingon:

13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk was in the Klingon's way. He said, "Out of the way, Organian!"

Kor

14. Nerys Myk

What's please in Klingon?

15. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

"Now!"

XCV330 likes this.
  16. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The people on Krios seemed to be doing alright, and seemed to have quite a lot of autonomy. The Klingons even seemed to be ok with the Kriosian Rebellion, until they thought the federation was supplying them with weapons.

My guess is that the Treaty of Alliance would stipulate certain rules when it came to the Klingons conquering planets.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  17. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And if that Krios (The Mind's Eye) is the same Krios from The Perfect Mate and Precious Cargo, then it seems that Klingons didn't even disrupt their culture or way of life during their "subjugation". The range of occupation seems to go from outright genocide or 100% slavery to plant a flag and give the Governor a nice house at worst.

Space is big, and the Klingons not very diverse, so I imagine that 90% of the "Klingon planets" are just pre-warp (or forceably pre-warp) planets ignored by the Klingons in systems they control unless the planet has some dilithium or other resource they want.

18. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's quite unlikely that the Krios of "Perfect Mate" would have anything to do with the Krios of "Mind's Eye" - the former engaged in a centuries-long war that they themselves administrated in full (making peace was their prerogative, say), whereas a minor scuffle raises concerns in the latter case.

Klingons not diverse? The one constant about them is how they always look different. They seem to not just embrace but actively create diversity, even if it's of the "we're all diverse in fashion X today and Y tomorrow" sort... Plus they have plenty of languages, only one of which we understand thank to Marc Okrand's gracious assistance. And a whole range of attitudes. Oh, yes, attitude aplenty.

How the Klingons dealt with Organia is probably distinct from how they deal with planets that are part of their empire. After all, what we saw in Organia was the process of introduction: this was a freshly conquered world being used as a stepping stone in a military campaign. A few years into the Klingon possession, the rules might be quite different.

Timo Saloniemi

Tim Thomason likes this.
  19. Unimatrix Q

But they weren't going around trying to beat up, rape or kill Organians for fun. They were very restrained if one considers the klingon temperament :klingon:.

So i guess many of the Klingons in the occupation forces are of the honorable sort. Or was it a exception because they were under the command of Kor, who later becomes a renowned Dahar master?

20. Nerys Myk

The guy who ordered a mass execution?