How did The Autobiography of James T. Kirk get so many Amazon.com reviews?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Extrocomp, May 1, 2017.

1. Extrocomp

Extrocomp Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The novel currently has 359 reviews and it doesn't even have Star Trek on the cover.. Federation: The First 150 Years by the same author has 283 reviews. Most of Pocket Books' novels don't have anywhere near those numbers. Does Titan Books have better marketing than Pocket Books?

2. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well at least with the Autobiography I guess it certainly helped that Shatner was at least a bit involved with the PR, i.E. he read excerpts at SDCC etc.

Add to that that these kind of release are more of an "event" than the steady stream of release from Pocket, so they got more coverage from websites who usually ignore the prose releases.

Brefugee and Therin of Andor like this.
  3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It's also the kind of book people buy for friends who are hard to buy for, ie. for people might not collect the regular Trek novels, but an autobiography of a famous fictitious character makes a whimsical gift. I don't recall the author canvassing reviews online.

4. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

That's what I did. I send a copy to a Trekkie who does not read the regular Pocket line. It is one of those books that is easier for regular people to pick up and read than the ongoing novelverse. It has wider appeal.

Leto_II and Therin of Andor like this.
  5. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

The book was also much more widely distributed - I picked my copy up from my local supermarket. It stuck around in stock through Christmas 2015 (the paperback edition also got a release there the following year) and was marketed as more of a 'novelty' product and interesting gift idea.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  6. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Just a few days ago it was offered for $1.99 on one of the bargain ebook newsletters, and that might not have been the first time. (I see repeats every few months.) It's possible that it has more reviews because more people have read it.

Corran Horn likes this.
  7. Hela

Hela Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can't speak for the US, but the kindle version was a Daily and Monthly Sale here. That'll get some readers.

And if we get a sale, the US usually has it.