How did Nero know when Spock Prime would show up?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by T'Cal, Jun 8, 2009.

1. T'Cal

T'Cal Commodore Commodore

Did I miss it? He seemed to know that there would be a delay of almost exactly 25 years. Did Spock arrive at the same spot in space that Nero did?

Thanks!

2. Steven Of Nine

Steven Of Nine Commodore Commodore

Nero knows that Spock appears there on his failed mission to save Nero's planet. Remember, Nero's from the future.

3. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Romulan miners are well-versed in time travel dynamics.

4. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meh.

You can join the dots on this one. It was "just as they predicted".

I don't think it needed explaining.

5. NileQT87

NileQT87 Commander Red Shirt

Perhaps once they escaped the Klingon prison, they learned that Spock wasn't through yet and went back to where they came out of the black hole to babysit the spot until Spock arrived.

6. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I think once the Narada was crippled, Nero figured out something was amiss. Spock wasn't there. Even though it's a mining ship that jumps to warp, "basic" engineering knowledge may be required to operate the ship. I never considered the Romulans to be particularily dumb. A Romulan engineer (even in ore processing) could postulate that there might be a time differential. Keep in mind they had 25 yrs to calculate...

7. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

They stole a copy of the script and an English Romulan dictionary, to look up deus ex machina. Or maybe a French Romulan dictionary.

8. Jbarney

Jbarney Captain Captain

Sounds as good a reason as any. Basically once they were back in time and they had the opportunity to see that Spock did not arrive with them....they could set their minds to doing the math on when and where Spock could (or should) arrive.

Doesn't totally work, but it fits.

9. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

A form of exotic Vulcanoid space-math know as T'Calculations.

I'm surprised you weren't familiar with it.

10. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

We have no proof of that; if it wasn't seen on screen, it didn't happen. They should have shown the calculations being done on film! This ruined the movie!

Sorry, I just had to do one of those irrational tirades myself. ;)

11. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

The dynamics of the eddies that the two fell into should not be information that mining engineers would know, not even a species with high natural intelligence.

The Narada hadn't been waiting around there for decades; when Ayel informs Nero they have arrived, it's as though they had never been at those coordinates before. Ayel says there is nothing at all there.

I would be glad to hear a good explanation for this.

12. Peter the Younger

Peter the Younger Commodore Commodore

Based on what has been shown in the previous universe, it would seem to me that every starship - every one worth the name, anyway - with a warp drive needs to have somebody on board educated in post-relativistic, Star Trekkian "subspace" physics and navigation. Since it's "spacetime" and not "space and this other totally separate thing, time", calculating time travel variables isn't going to be totally alien to such an individual.

Assuming Ayel qualifies, I don't think we can really call him a simple mining engineer. Given 25 years and appropriate motivation, I have no trouble believing a ship's engineer could figure such a thing out.

13. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Peter the Younger, a black hole is something different; if the two ships had not caught their respective eddies, they would have been crushed -- not pulled into a different time.

This is not garden-variety time travel. There is no way for either of them to know where they'd wind up.

14. dougkeenan

dougkeenan Commander Red Shirt

Maybe they both had stasis boxes?

15. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

Not at all. The person in charge of Continuity was asleep in his bunk when time came to figure out when Spock would arrive.

Great movie, but this was the biggest damn plot hole in human history. It's like having the Jellyfish show up on the Narada, the escalator open up, and Jar Jar come dancing down instead of Spock Prime.

16. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

well he had plenty time to learn.
    plus they might have pretty sophisticated computers because i this probably wasnt just simple mining but rather mining of the asteroids so it might have to some pretty complex stuff to go in and get precisely what you want without creating a big mess of chunks of asteroid roaming toward a planet.
    specialized stress load , trajectory, gravitational ect computation could have gone into it.

plus before nero was captured and possibly the rest of the crew hid ect
    (though i had a theory nero lead the klingons away from the narada with their own shuttle which allowed the narada to escape) they might have been taking their own sensor readings of the singularity they came out of.

and with the time they had came up with something i suspect not only would include which ship entered first , but mass of the ship and speed of the ship as it entered the singularity.

17. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I thought it might've been addressed in the cut Klingon prison scenes. I just assumed that Nero and his crew went to hide in the Klingon prison planet, which I again assumed was near the Klingon neutral zone - there they just waited for a "lightning storm in space" and took the Narada out of hibernation.

Damn, I really wish they had done something with those scenes.

18. Newski

Newski Captain Captain

Science. That's how. They used advanced fictional science to learn things.

19. npsf3000

npsf3000 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

After they realise that Spock hasn't already come threw it was pretty obvious to even me that to come out he would have to exit later...

Its not like they didn't have a starting point or anything.

(they could of just done hard math, or maybe they noticed a slight build up in subspace technobable every once and a while ended with some debris from the future being spit out... they waited until a build up was big enough for a space ship - could of even left a probe).

Its like asking how did the bad guy get that illegal gun? Its assumed that they can.

20. Dr. Xtmprsqzntw

Dr. Xtmprsqzntw Cadet Newbie

I don't doubt that someone (or a computer) on that ship could do the math. Especially since they didn't seem to do much else for a quarter century.

The problem is this - Spock said they emerged first because they entered first. And although it was only a few moments for him, it turned out to be about a 25 year difference in the "past". Which is all fine and good from Spock's perspective after the fact. Here's the issue though: if a few seconds = 25 years and the Narada goes through first, how do they do the math? Aren't they missing the crucial variable?

The only two explanations that makes logical sense, however difficult to swallow, are that [1] they could take some kind of subspace measurements (or whatever) of the second occurrence of the anomaly before Spock's ship was ejected, and beat him to the event horizon somehow, or [2] they knew the where and just had to hang around and wait. Either of which probably should be glossed over in the movie.