How did kirk Force Khan to work with him against the admiral?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by joujouFar, Jun 4, 2018.

1. joujouFar

joujouFar Cadet Newbie

Hello everyone,
    when Kirk said to Khan in ST into the darkness:
    "You said you’d do anything for your crew. I can guarantee their safety."
    but then Khan refused to help, how did Kirk force him to play along?
    he asked Bones, "what are you doing with that tribble?"
    "The tribble’s dead" said Bones, "I’m injecting Khan platelets into the deceased tissue of necrotic host. Khan’s cells regenerate like nothing I’ve ever seen and I wanna know why".
    did that mean that he was going to do experiment on his crew if he doesn't cooperate?
    or does it mean he can help him revive his frozen crew?

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

This is in the wrong forum. This forum is for Trek movies I-IX.

3. joujouFar

joujouFar Cadet Newbie

this is a Star Trek movie question dude!

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

The mod will no doubt move this to the right forum soon enough. so:

No need for forcing. Khan and the Admiral were arch-enemies. Kirk... was just a minor nuisance, a patsy used by Marcus to start a war, and likewise a patsy used by Khan to board the dreadnought and defeat the Admiral.

What Khan needed was a way to get Kirk to win, at least temporarily, so that Marcus would not kill Khan's helpless crew. He might have strung Kirk along a bit, by deriding his ability to really deliver the protection he offered. But he never refused to work for Kirk - indeed, working for Kirk was Khan's own proposition all along.

I don't see how this could be. McCoy was already experimenting on Khan's own blood, without any need for promises of cooperation, or coercing with threats of torture - there was no reason to threaten anybody. And he did not need to hurt Khan or his crew in these experiments at all. Only some tribbles might be hurt, if the already dead ones didn't suffice for McCoy's needs.

No. It just means he wants to experiment with Khan's blood. And is doing it, right there and then. There is no "meaning" to McCoy's words other than him telling his boss what's going on, which is "idle scientific experimenting". McCoy doesn't understand how Khan works, medically speaking, and wants to find out. There is no tactical demand for what he does, not yet.

Apparently, he took the blood sample in the first place only to verify who Khan is. Once he had it, he realized it was an odd one. And then he began experimenting. Which ultimately saved Kirk's life, but did not necessarily help or hinder Khan or his crew in any way.

(Does McCoy learn how to thaw Khan's crew? We don't know, as he never thaws any. When Khan is out of reach and Kirk needs blood, McCoy doesn't go and thaw a bottleful out of one of Khan's men. But perhaps only because he can't be sure those men would have miracle blood. Perhaps only Khan himself ever had it? I mean, the heroes do not recognize Khan initially, but they do seem to know what an Augment is, and still Khan's blood manages to surprise McCoy... OTOH, somebody has the skills needed to re-freeze Khan, because we see him re-frozen.)

Timo Saloniemi

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

There’s a forum for the Abrams films.

6. joujouFar

joujouFar Cadet Newbie

thanks Tomi
    that was really helpful

7. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

joujouFar, this is Trek Movies 1-10. The forum you want is Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe. Moving this thread now.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Khan was just using Kirk as a means to get to, and kill, Marcus.

"Stun him? Khan? I thought he was helping us?"

"I'm pretty sure we're helping him."

BillJ likes this.