Spoilers How did Kelpian history books remember Saru?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by JirinPanthosa, Jan 25, 2021.

1. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Saru no doubt got credit for being the great liberator of Kelpians. Then he (Officially) died shortly thereafter. We don’t know how much his sister revealed about his role in defeating Control, but she may or may not have followed Starfleet’s secrecy directive.

So in the 32nd century, could he be like the Kelpian George Washington or even Kelpian Jesus? Will he find Saru statues all over Kaminar and people getting Saru Day off from work?

NCC-73515 likes this.
  2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

They probably didn't. I imagine in the aftermath of season 2, Saru's sister became a prominent figure in Kelpien society and since she knew Saru was going to the future and why, she likely abided by Starfleet's secrecy on the matter of Disco and crew.

3. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

It's a huge missed opportunity, to be honest. I would've loved to see an episode where Saru has to come to terms with how the Kelpien are remembering him. My favorite idea would've been a Cardassia-like dictatorship with a horrified Saru learning how they're committing all kinds of atrocities in his name as a founding figure, as a parable on historical revisionism and hero worship.

4. The Wormhole

Of course, it's also possible they're holding off how what Saru's status in the Kelpien history books is for season 4.

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Saru was only on Kaminar for about ten seconds of screen time so we don’t know they won’t address this. Even if his sister kept quiet about Saru going to the future, they’d still know he’s the Kelpian who is responsible for ending the culling.

Hopefully in season 4 we learn what happened on Kaminar with the Ba’ul after the Kelpians were freed. All we know is they joined the Federation.

6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why would Saru's role in the liberation be known? Nobody but Siranna saw him do anything. She could have stayed fairly mum about the details; only her "Warriors of Kaminar" bunch would need to know more, in order to be motivated to help out in the big fight.

Timo Saloniemi

7. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

It doesn't need to be known at all of course. But if it were, it would make for a good story.

8. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Saru's story inspired the hit movie Vahar'ai hard and it's numerous sequels

Nyotarules, ScottJ85, TPezz and 4 others like this.
  9. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

Would be funny if the Kelpians had caused the burn on purpose rather than by accident in some sort of dune style jihad

SJGardner likes this.
  10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

At least do a short involving Saru, Su'kal and another copy of that book maybe showing Saru's chapter. IDK if Sirrana would leave anything out of a Kelpian only book based on anything SF had to say. What, is Control going to find a used copy at a Ferengi bookstore in the 25th century?

The whole cover-up seems like it'd be pretty hard to manage since the Kelpians, Ba'ul (possibly) and Klingons were all there.

11. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

But they all were there because they worshiped the heroes. Counting on their loyalty would not require calculus.

What Siranna's angle on the Vaha'rai revolution would be is unknown. The Kelpien have to live with the Ba'ul for the time being, and the Ba'ul can still drop X-bombs on them from their ships just as easily as they can drop transceivers and other random components. Quite a few lies and omissions might be necessary until the Kelpien either establish peaceful coexistence or manage to exterminate the last Ba'ul for good.

It's cute how the horrible sea monster in the So'kal simulation was modeled on the Ba'ul. And curious that the map in "Thunder" still showed the ancient Ba'ul inhabiting continents rather than oceans. Did the Kelpien once whip them so badly that they no longer dare set foot on dry land?

Timo Saloniemi

12. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

I like this idea very much.

13. The Wormhole

So, anyone think it's possible they might reveal Su'kal is one of Siranna's descendants, making him and Saru actual family? I half jokingly thought up the possibility when I realized Su'kal's mother was played by the same actress as Siranna, which was likely just a matter of convenience, here's a woman we already have measurements for the Kelpien prosthetic sort of thing. Though, a part of me expects this to be revealed in season 4 anyway.

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  14. Awesome Possum

Awesome Possum Moddin' Admiral

He would at least be known as the first Kelpian in Starfleet and likely a hero and inspiration to any Kelpian Starfleet cadet.

15. Gingerbread Demon

I also thought there might be some kind of family connection to him and Su'kal.

16. TimeIsAPredator

TimeIsAPredator Commodore Commodore

I bet Su'kal turns out to be a great great great great great great great great grandson of Sarek

17. The Wormhole

Well, these days, that does without saying. Hell, everyone we've seen from the 32nd century is likely a descendant of Sarek.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  18. Gingerbread Demon

Boy that Sarek got around spreading his seed everywhere

trekshark and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  19. Colonel Midnight

Colonel Midnight Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Ambassadorial perks.

Cheers,
    -CM-

20. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator