How about a limited run animated series set in year 5 of the 5 Year Mission

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Ralphis, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

Just hear me out... ;)

I was thinking the other day on how TOS seasons 1, 2, and 3 are generally considered to be the first three years of the "5 Year Mission", and TAS as year four. Year five has been left untold all these years.

And then I got to thinking about how Warner Bros./DC Entertainment recently extended the Batman 1966 series with the animated films "Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders" and the upcoming "Batman vs. Two Face" with Adam West (RIP) and Burt Ward lending their voices to Batman and Robin.

With all of that in mind, and considering how popular limited run series are today, I was thinking maybe CBS All Access should consider doing a limited run animated series set in the fifth year of the 5 Year Mission. Bring back all the living TOS actors to lend their voices for their characters, and fill in the other parts with skilled voice actors, like how it was done with Batman: Return of the Caped Crusaders. I think this would be a great way for CBS All Access to boost subscriptions as many Trekkers have always wanted to see the conclusion of the 5 Year Mission on screen. And having Shatner be Kirk again 'in any form' before he passes would be a treat for everyone.

Now, I'm not saying do this instead of Discovery, or any other future live action series. No way! I'm just saying this project could coexist with DSC.

Ok, I've had this concept circulating in my brains for awhile, and I just needed to get it out there. However, I'm kind of expecting people to think it's a terrible idea. So at this time I'll just sit back and take it like a man... Blast away! Just please be kind. :biggrin:

wayne66 likes this.
  2. CRM-114

CRM-114 Captain Captain

This might be good, but I think the biggest obstacle would be convincing CBS that it would be a worthwhile venture. Maybe a one-off to taste the waters?

3. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

Yeah, it's probably an impossible sell. You'd probably have to have a 60-80 minute long straight-to-video feature first just to test the market and see if there's any interest in something like this.

CRM-114 likes this.
  4. wayne66

wayne66 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, I have thought about this for a while too. I would take the computer game episodes(25th anniversary, Judgement Rites and the unreleased Secret of Vulcan Fury), they could act as the 5th year. TAS and the computer games would be the 4th and 5th year of the 5 year mission. Let Shatner play Kirk one more time. No reason why they cannot do a limited run of 2 years. It would be a nice companion series to Discovery.

5. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

Sounds like an intriguing idea. The biggest issue for me would be the voices for Scotty, McCoy, and Spock

Thinking about it, I'm kind of surprised that there have been no Star Trek animated series other than the Filmation one. Maybe that speaks to the lack of viability of the idea.

6. TommyR01D

TommyR01D Captain Captain

I've seen a video of a TNG panel where they were asked about potential remakes or animated spin-offs. Sir Patrick said he would participate in an animated TNG series only if Seth McFarlane made it.

The main obstacle would be getting the original cast (most of whom are very old and some of whom are deceased) together for enough time to actually record it.

7. Ralphis

Ralphis Captain Captain

Yeah, I think it would be an issue for a lot of people.

8. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I really don't think we need this in a world with Star Trek Continues.