Hong Kong Phooey is Eddie Murphy

Captain Craig

Vice Admiral
Admiral
Eddie Murphy to voice the #1 Super Guy.

Following in the footsteps of Scooby-Doo, Alvin & the Chipmunks, Yogi Bear and the now successful Smurfs is Hong Kong Phooey!

Eddie Murphy is set to voice Hong Kong Phooey in a feature film based on the classic 70's Hanna-Barbera animated TV series for Alcon Entertainment says The Hollywood Reporter.
The combination live-action and animated feature revolves around a dog, Penry (Murphy) who is granted mystic powers, including the ability to walk, talk and do kung fu. Donning a costume to become Hong Kong Phooey, he sets out to combat criminals.

The combination live-action and animated feature revolves around a dog, Penry (Murphy) who is granted mystic powers, including the ability to walk, talk and do kung fu. Donning a costume to become Hong Kong Phooey, he sets out to combat criminals.

Murphy is probably not a bad choice, insofar as his voice work is generally more entertaining than his live action work these days and his "old black guy voice" close enough to Scatman Crothers to not assault the ears, but a live action/CGI mix about a dog who gets superpowers and the ability to talk? Isn't that the take they tried with Underdog?

Why not a straight animated feature and at least rip off Kung Fu Panda or something successful?

But is he going to change into his outfit in a filing cabinet?

I do so fondly recall bringing my Hong Kong Phooey lunchbox to kindergarten. *sigh*

Yes, it would be more appealing (as in, I might consider seeing it) if it was a straight animated feature. But this? No thank you.

I half expected to hear the Eddie Murphy was voicing six different voices for the show, most of which he'd voice while wearing a fat suit. despite the fact that we'd never actually see him.

I always liked Hong Kong Phoey, and hope that this will be good. I doubt it, but one can still hope.

Now they just need to get to work on a Quickdraw McGraw movie.

I'm personally holding out for Alan Rickman as Snagglepuss.

"Exit stage left, stage right even."

:vulcan:

"Heavens to Murgatroyd!"

I do so fondly recall bringing my Hong Kong Phooey lunchbox to kindergarten. *sigh*

OMG!! I had the same lunch box in school too!:techman:
I will wait till this hits netflix for sure but I did love the cartoon as a kid. And Eddie should be a decent fill in for Scatman.

Can we please get a faithful version of the theme song this time? I still haven't forgiven them for what they did to the Underdog theme.

Back