Homeworld is back with Hardware...I mean, Homeworld: Shipbreakers

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Jono, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the last couple of days news has surfaced that there is going to be a new game in this popular RTS franchise and that game is Homeworld: Shipbreakers.

It seems Gearbox has licensed the name to Blackbird Interactive, who were developing a game called Hardware: Shipbreakers. BBI seems to have a number of people who worked on the Homeworld series and their videos for their game definitely shows it.

Here is their teaser for their original titled game:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KY8nMEV-RMQ[/yt]

Not much in the way of details, but it was being built as a F2P RTS. Now, that isn't exactly what I wanted to hear coupled with "new Homeworld game", but at least after so many years of rumoured new Homeworld games it looks like finally the fans of the series will get what they wanted.

Also, I missed the Gearbox announcement nearly 2 months ago that they are working on HD versions of 1 and 2 (nothing on Cataclysm). Don't think there are any set release dates for these new versions yet.

I was on the fence about Gearbox getting the franchise after THQ went bust, but I've got to say at least they are doing something with it. Now crossing my fingers and hoping Interplay will be announcing they are going to do something with the IP they got off THQ as well.

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't know. In recent years, Gearbox hasn't exactly had a great track record when it comes to their handling of someone else's IP. Plus this looks like it'll be a traditional planet bound RTS, which to me spells "Homeworld in name only."

As far as the HD versions go; as I understand it they legally can't do anything with Cataclysm as it was originally developed by a third party. No big deal IMO. While I thought it was OK, it always had a certain apocryphal feel next to the other two games.

3. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Been following this, got my fingers crossed!

It's early days, but its certainly got the feel of Homeworld. And Gearbox, if what they're saying remains true, is taking a hands off approach and just letting Blackbird do their thing with Shipbreakers so who knows.

I don't know, that's kind of how I felt about Homeworld 2. It took a lot of liberties with what had happened before. Not a bad game, but it felt more like what someone thought a HW game should be rather than a HW game.

4. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Exactly.. i got excited to be able to play a state of the art Homeworld but that vanished when it became clear it would be a standard, surface bound RTS set in the Homeworld universe.

Might still be a good game but it ain't Homeworld.

5. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yeah, count me out for a Homeworld game that doesn't involve fleets of ships in space. The entire appeal of that series, for me, revolves around the vast emptiness, the impossible journey, and the desperation with which you guide your vulnerable fleet through threat after threat. I've never played a surface-based RTS that gave me anywhere near the same experience.

6. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sounds like they're doing what they can with it - making it a space-based game would eat up time and resources to develop it all from scratch. Shipbreakers has the art direction and much of the mood of Homeworld already in place (it even does the same bass drop noise when you switch to the map view) and it's a partly- or mostly-done game. It's a logical decision, and... I'm okay with it. Wouldn't be the first time a game franchise has made a drastic shift, though I would prefer a space-based Homeworld like the rest of you guys.

Hopefully it doesn't have HW2's Kobayashi Maru-esque penchant for arbitrarily pulling impossible odds out of nowhere.

7. Jono

I'm interested in seeing how they tie it in. HW2 background stuff presented a pretty interesting universe and it would be nice to see more of it.

Hopefully this game does reasonably well and that the HD release also do well. Nothing like a bit of financial success to get TPTB to produce a new traditional HW game.

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

After what seems like a couple years of radio silence, the new Homeworld game has just popped up for pre-order on Steam, renamed again as now it's called 'Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak'.
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7beE0NgnmU[/yt]

I'm somewhat more optimistic about this than I was previously as the remastering of the original games seemed to be handled well and they've stripped out all the F2P microtransations it was originally going to have back when it was still called 'Hardware'.

Interesting that the key art actually features a person. I'm assuming that's supposed to be a pre-fleet command Karen S'Jet. Partially because she's the closest thing to a lead character the original games had and the fact that some of those vehicles can be seen bearing the symbol of her clan.

ETA

Never mind, I just read the blurb and apparently that's not Karen but Rachel S'jet.

9. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unexpected, but not unwelcome.

10. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

This, but also: The novelty you felt when you first played Homeworld? Remember that? Mindblowing, right?

I'm sorry to tell you guys, but you'll never recapture that. Not with an HD remaster, not with this.

It's either a great experience that stands on its own, and just happens to bear the Homeworld name, or it's not. It can't bring that feeling back, and it's (kinda) unfair to hold that against it if you do.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually a HD version of that game is allowable - there's no legal issues preventing it. They just have to find the original source code first. Linky

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

If "novelty" was the only attractive feature of the original games then yeah, anything along the same lines is by definition not going to deliver.

Except the new game isn't more of the same. It's a surface based game with what appears to be a *massive* open world zones that seem like they're going to dwarf the old maps for sheer volume of play space.

Also, rather than being amused by the "novelty" of a third dimension, I think most people were more taken with how *well* the 3D space combat worked (for the most part, considering how unusual it was), to say nothing of the beautiful art design, sweeping score and an epic space opera style narrative.

Anyway, as it turns out the HD remasters did a fantastic job of recapturing an enhancing that old experience and by all accounts was received with resounding approval from old hats and newbies alike.

13. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

I forgot I posted in this thread!

In any case, my heart has softened a bit and I am willing to see how this game turns out before judging it. ;)

14. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

No sand worms, carryalls, or refinaries? Oh right, this isn't Dune...

15. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I think there's something very suitable and poetic about a prequel to a revolutionary RTS taking place on a desert planet. ;)

Also, to be fair Homeworld always wore it's Dune influences on it's sleeve. Right along with it's Star Wars/Ralph McQuarrie influences, Ridley Scott's 'Alien' and Chris Foss's artwork, to name a few.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  16. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Mostly influenced by BSG, in my view, but much better. I so wanted nuBSG to be like Homeworld.

17. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

^Only really in the broadest, most superficial sense. In that it features the lone survivors of a genocide, rag-tag fleet against an Empire that wants them all dead...yada-yada-yada. Most of which is necessitated by the mechanics of having a persistent fleet, always pushing forwards etc.

The design choices, themes, and major story beats and overall tone had *very* little to do with BSG and a lot more to do with Star Wars, Dune, Alien etc.

If you don't believe me go check out the credits. You won't fine any special thanks or acknowledgements for Glen Larson, but you will fine some for Ridley Scott, Vangelis, George Lucas, Joe Johnson Ralph McQuarrie, Nilo Rodis-Jamero etc. etc.

I think that speaks quite loudly for the devs' actual inspiration.

18. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

New trailer is out.

Not much new in terms of gameplay or story--at least for those of us who've already seen the opening cinematic for Homeworld--more elaborating on what we already know. Nice touch recreating the old prologue in that final shot.

I am a bit curious as to what's going on with those ships that appear able to jump, which doesn't make sense if this culture is planet locked until about century later. I mean obviously they have some space-flight capability in this era (hence: satellites) but nothing approaching interstellar capabilities.

Still looks very promising IMO. Unless you don't like sand of course. Lots and lots of sand...

Last edited: Jan 10, 2016
  19. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Over a year after this game came out, I finally sat down and played it earlier this month (I know, almost blasphemous for someone with my username).

I enjoyed it. It certainly got the feel right, with the music and design. Some questionable decisions with the lore and gameplay, the latter especially and particularly toward the end. But overall, it definitely added more to the franchise than it took away, and I'll certainly be giving it another playthrough at some point.

It was also nice of them to name the captain of the Kapisi after me. ;)

20. Jono

The game is still on my Steam sale wishlist. I did grab the Homeworld remastered set when it came out. Enjoyed it despite some of the changes. Still hoping for a future space based Homeworld.