Home Improvement House Floor Plan?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ThunderAeroI, Jun 11, 2009.

1. ThunderAeroI

ThunderAeroI Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does anyone know where I could find a floor plan for the house used on Home Improvement?

2. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are you planning on building a replica?

Tim Taylor would be proud... careful with power saw... ;)

3. ThunderAeroI

I like the show, and wouldn't mind incoporating some of the things I see in the house into my own, but being a stage house somethings are just odd.

I wanted to know if anyone took the time to actually draw out the house to see what it looked like.

I know Tim Allen has the Tool Time set in storge somewhere, wonder what happend to the house?

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Well the first floor is what you see is what you get. But I think the bathroom is near the garage in the hall near the kitchen leading to the front door.

I think the set was really neat, it seems more open and more like a real house than other TV designs.

5. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only thing that really struck me as odd was the garage being at the back of the house (or at least at the reverse end from the main door).

6. bigdaddy

I think it's one of those wrap around driveways, their backyard is tiny through.

7. SlyCardie

SlyCardie Commander Red Shirt

The car would pull out at the opposite end from the front door of the house. So wierd then to have the trash in the back just sitting there...:confused:

8. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this might be one of the few TV houses that doesn't suffer from what I like to call the "Brady Paradox;" i.e., the floorplan probably fits reasonably well within the house's exterior as shown, unlike a certain other man named Brady/lovely lady household. :shifty:

9. ThunderAeroI

Considering we hardly ever see the house in the whole, I doubt we can say one way or the other.

A few times we see the front door, more than a few times we see the side yard or back yard, although I'm guessing thats really the side yard.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

In one of the episodes, the boys bought a pricey remote control car. Brad the oldest told Mark to open the backdoor out to the alley

So it can be assumed they live in a neighborhood with an alley for garbage trucks etc. The garbage truck crushed the pricey remote car.

That's how the cars can exit
    [​IMG]

Here's a visual example

11. Praetor

We did see the whole house in the final episode, when it was being moved.

12. ThunderAeroI

I drew up durring the houir on Nick at Night toight what I think the hous elooks like and I have to say it is really small. I have a couple of holes though.

- What is in front of the kitchen? The living room area extends past the two islands in the kitchen causing a gap in the house where I dont know whats there.

- For a house in MI, they have no less than four exit points in their house. A ""Front Door", two side doors on the side, and a garage door. The two sides ones be double wide patio doors.

- The garage is one stall wide.

- The two garbage cans are next to the chemney, which must be a hike from the alleyway. Can't prove a distance, but there is no paved surface to pull the cans on.

I have no idea where the basement steps are, but no matter where they are, they are wrong. When they go to the basement they turn to the left to go down. No plce in the house exists where the basement would be under the house.

13. ThunderAeroI

Found this:

It seems close, but I have some problems with it.

[​IMG]

14. bigdaddy

Yeah I have problems with it too... no bathroom.

15. Praetor

Interesting. That does seem about right, from what I remember. Just where was the first floor bathroom? Was one shown?

Bear in mind that Brady factor, though. The sets are designed for filming first and realism second.

16. ThunderAeroI

I recall at least two upstair bathrooms shown, i think. I imported the house into CAD rescaled it and came up with a first floor living space of 1,364 square feet, assuming new construction the Tool Man is living in a $136,400 house as built no furnishings. 1,300 isn't bad, but I'd expect a larger house for the tool man with three kids.

There is no way any house in the north would be designed with SEVEN exits to the outside.

Change the exit to the downstairs to be the first floor bathroom, but the basement entry underneeth the stairs to upstairs and you would have the beginnings of a solid house design. I can't find any samples of the upstairs, maybe there isn't enough information to assemble it.

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I do seem to recall from the finale though that the house is a fairly large house from the outside.

18. Bloodwhiner

Bloodwhiner Commodore Commodore

If your in Michigan you are looking for every possible exit point you can find.

The floor plan shown doesn't seem even close to me. The orientation is wrong, stairway is screwy.... but that is from memory as i haven't watched the show recently.

19. ThunderAeroI

Yeah, I have a number of issues with the basic design, but it seems close enough. What I think is going on is that the house is more of a rectangle than shown in that image.

20. Sephiroth

Sephiroth Vice Admiral Admiral

speaking of TV house floorplans, does anybody have the floorplan for the Masaki house from Tenchi Muyo?