Hobby and Craft Motivation Thread

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Bad Thoughts, Jun 28, 2019.

1. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

What is the project that you are currently working on? How is it going? Is there something or some reason that you are finding it difficult to finish?

----------

Personally, I have several half finished painting projects--scale models and game miniatures--that I have been trying to complete.

Project: Painting Warhammer 40,000 Dark Imperium and Warhammer 40,000 Star Collecting Astra Militarum

When did I start? sometime last year, probably August

How far along am I?
    -- Completed painting Poxwalkers, Blight Hauler and Plague Launcher.
    -- Plague Marines need highlights
    -- Space Marine (blue smurfs in power armor) have uneven base color that should be redone
    -- Faces of Imperial Guardsmen need painting
    -- Militarum vehicles need camouflage

What's slowing me down?
    -- limited hobby space (basically, the dining table)
    -- lost track of what paints I was using

My son wanted to get into 40K in the worst way. I was too cheap to oblige, so I tried to bide my time, hoping he would move on to something else--to no avail. Last year, I suckered my mom into purchasing the introductory set and, later in the year, one of the faction sets. My son loves assembling the models, but he isn't as keen on painting them. That is usually left to me. Being colorblind makes painting stressful at times: I often have difficulty matching colors from artwork and photographs. This is particularly a problem if I forget what particular paint I already applied. As a result, I keep pushing this to the back of the project pile, especially as I had more fun painting other projects.

I made a huge push in late May, getting through all the Poxwalkers, the Death Guard vehicles, and nearly finishing all the Death Guard. I had to paint over a lot of stuff as I simply could not remember what I had used previously.

Two things have helped. One, I finally bought a diary where I can record what paints and techniques I use on models. Two, I started using a wet pallet so that I don't waste paint.

What's stopped my progress? My wife has been on vacation for the last two weeks. I feel guilty when I don't spend the time with her, even if to just watch TV.

Although not complete, I am at least not embarrassed to bring the models to the local game store to play. I'm not competing for the Crystal Brush--were just talking about getting the models to the table. Still, I would like to get this all done by the end of July.

Butters, Sibyl and Gary Mitchell like this.
  2. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm much the same. Working on many things at once. My current project is a family website and blog, and a YouTube channel. I'm trying to build a brand on which to launch my true passion, writing fiction, but I can't seem to finish anything. I have three novels and a collection of ghost stories I want to publish, but I just can't get them completed.
    And I also like making card models, but I'm not very good at it. See.

[​IMG]

3. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

I make stuff out of felt.

<——-TJ is my most infamous creation.

4. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh gosh, the project list. I'll try to type that up when I get home from work. I'm already dreading how long it might be.

What's been holding me back has varied. For the past couple of years I had a demanding job that left me mentally exhausted by the end of the day. I wasn't in the mood to do much but watch TV on the couch for a couple of hours, then fall asleep. It took all weekend to recover, and then it started all over again on Monday.

I changed jobs about five months ago, to something I love and that doesn't drain me so much. But there's the stress of starting a new job, and then my cat was gravely ill (he's somehow recovered for now), and then we bought our first house a couple of months ago. We're finally all moved in and unpacked, so I'm hoping that I can, at long last, jump back into my hobbies.

Sibyl, Bad Thoughts and Butters like this.
  5. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad your cat is okay. Congrats on the new house.

Sibyl, Spot's Meow and Butters like this.
  6. Bad Thoughts

Oh, my project list is very long. The 40K is just the big one that is foremost on my mind. It sounds like things are starting to look better, so perhaps you'll get some time to yourself.

Sibyl and Butters like this.
  7. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks! Just moving itself is a lot of work, but buying a house on top of it...was an exhausting experience. I hope it doesn't happen again for a long long time.

8. Bad Thoughts

Any chance you can animate this?

9. Butters

Funny you should ask that. No.

I wish I could, and that was originally part of my plan, but I’m not as good at crafts as my imagination would like.

Nakita Akita and Bad Thoughts like this.
  10. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm atm sewing a cover for a large pillow. I just have to assemble the patchwork outside and the lining but I realized that I cut the lining 3/4 inch too small. Now I must make a new one before I can assemble the parts. No big deal, though, as it is just rectangular pieces - very easy to sew.

Next in line are 7 half-finished quilts. There is a lovely blue and white one that will make a perfect 80est birthday gift for my mom. That one will go first. Next in line is a christmas tree quilt blanket for myself. Then a star sampler for my sister, one with fishies for my brother and two with stars (maybe dad would like one of these) and one for myself made with little square patches in lovely blues my sis brought me as a souvenir from a quilting museum in Kentucky.

Nakita Akita, Sibyl, Velocity and 2 others like this.
  11. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

I've been in the process of building my own telescope for over a year, but the actual process has been ongoing more at least 3 years. An 8" f/6. It's been a daunting experience, to say the least, in particular because it's my first time on any big project like this and I'm doing it very much in a traditional manner.

I've ground and polished my own mirror, and that itself took roughly a year to do. It's a very technical and thorough process because you have to do it just right, and if anything is off by a bit, you have to redo parts of it.

The telescope itself is daunting because there are so many parts to it and so many steps, but it does give me an appreciation for all the work that gets put into them. and I finally see myself getting close to the end result. Most of it is a lot of woodwork including painting and staining. I should have it done by the end of the month and then it's off to a telescope maker's convention where I'll enter it.

12. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My big thing is I want to write a novel.

I have no shortage of ideas, just when I do start I go back and never think what I wrote is good enough.

Sibyl and Bad Thoughts like this.
  13. Velocity

Velocity Vice Admiral Admiral

I have around 6 or 7 quilts in different stages of completion, 2 knitting projects, a couple of needlepoint canvases to be finished, and one dress for my 4 yr old granddaughter that is nearly ready to hem. In and around all this, I read 152 books since last July. (I started to keep a spreadsheet last July) Hooray for retirement!

14. Bad Thoughts

I have made almost no progress since first posting. The problem: my son took up the entire table witj a model and another project that he ... was ... very ... slow ... to ... complete.

Now that he's done, I'll prime the model tomorrow and finish the detail on the Plague Marines. It's been a little cooler, so the window for priming will be better tomorrow.

Sibyl and rhubarbodendron like this.
  15. rhubarbodendron

that's awesome! Btw, my telescope has a tiny one on top, for aiming. That one has a chipped lense which makes aiming very difficult, due to the distortion. Do you happen to know a source from where I might be able to order either a new aiming device or a new lense?

Argh! Salt in my wounds! I still have 11 years, 9 months and 22 days to go. (Or maybe only 5 years 9 months and 22 days - it depends on how much of school, college and university counts towards my working life: it's retirement at 67 or after 45 working years. With the latter, some training/school after the age of 17 counts)

Sibyl likes this.
  16. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

You mean the finder scope? Honestly, it's hard to know what to recommend without knowing what type of scope it is. You could optionally go for a Telrad. Sounds to me that if your scope is big enough to support a finder scope, that it would be able to support a telrad without putting the balance out of whack. But if you're keen on sticking to a finder scope, you could maybe try Explore Scientific. I don't know what your options are in Germany, but maybe there's a local source for them via a distributor.

17. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

I'm beginning a creative project just for me. No one else is involved and I'm only doing it for myself so I have no one to disappoint if I don't complete it.

I hope to finish this one. We'll see.

Brainstorming sessions have been exceptionally productive in the last couple of days.

18. Butters

I'm struggling with having too many things that I'd like to, and I can't seem to settle on anything. The website is coming along gradually, and I've added a gallery of some of my abandoned craft projects. Most of them never got finished but I can blame the kids for that at least, waiting for something to be finished before they play with it just isn't in their gift, bless.

This is my attempt at a Cyberlady. It turned out a little bit different to the one in Torchwood.
    [​IMG]

My current focus has shifted to getting a YouTube video created and uploaded and I'm in the advanced planning stage now, but it will take a few days to film, and then edit and polish it. There's a good chance I'll get itchy feet before then and start something new.

Focus duder, focus.

19. Bad Thoughts

This is actually a great idea: showing off the previous thought helps to show the work you've already done as progress rather than failure.

Sibyl and Butters like this.
  20. rhubarbodendron

finder scope! That's the word. Thank you!
    I'll have a look into the suggested options.:bolian:. My telescope is pretty large: 4 feet long and about 7 inches in diameter. Unfortunately, the manufacturer doesn't exist anymore which makes it a bit difficult to get precisely the righth spare part. I'll ask my optician if he could be so kind as to measure the lense for me so that I get the exact specifications for the spare.

Fortunately, my favourite object is the moon. There I need no finder scope for aiming :D

Avro Arrow likes this.