Hey, I never noticed that before....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 1, 2015.

1. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Quicken" is perhaps my favorite line in all of Star Trek.

Phaser Two likes this.
  2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I once proposed that we on this board use the fan-official, published abbreviation system for TOS and TAS episodes. I even posted images clearly listing them all out for easy reference. But I got shot down from all directions.

Too many fans are either too young to have experienced 1970s fandom, or just never bought the Concordance. They don't get it, never will, and we just have to accept that.

3. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Commander Red Shirt

*sticks hand up*

I never experienced 1970s fandom or bought some obscure old book.

Maybe we should just use our keyboards to type out the full words? Then everybody understands 100% of the time what we are talking about?

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

5. ZapBrannigan

For this audience, that's the most practical thing.

I'm just nostalgic for the standardized, case-sensitive, two and three-letter symbols from the Star Trek Concordance. They were reiterated in the June 1977 issue of All About Star Trek Fan Clubs, and probably elsewhere. They were a fixed, widely held list of abbreviations, and because of their mnemonic aspect, once you knew them, they were yours for life. It was exactly how scientists worldwide know the elements of the Periodic Table.

But those days are gone, and they're not coming back. We don't have a common shorthand, and we're at a point where the overall franchise has 797 TV episodes. So we should spell out enough of each episode title to make it unmistakable. And if it's not TOS or TAS, it's nice to say the whole title and at least abbreviate which series it's from.

6. Richard S. Ta

Richard S. Ta Commander Red Shirt

Thanks to your post I did look up Star Trek: Concordance.

I have to confess, had I been a fan then, a book with some archaic wheel mounted reference system built into the front cover (itself designed like a starship dish) I would have loved it.

Funny how in those times there were 79 episodes (not counting TAS) and in 2021 there's 797. I don't think any fan in those fallow days could have dreamed of such a thing.

nightwind1 and Search4 like this.
  7. Christmas Corps

Christmas Corps Fleet Admiral Admiral

The wheel was awesome (and still is)! I actually have two copies. On one the wheel came off, but it was easily remounted with a paper fastener.

I can't speak to any later edition, but the one pictured was outstanding and invaluable. Today, it's surpassed by Memory Alpha and other online references in their breadth, but the Concordance set a benchmark to be met.

8. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

I have mentioned this before, but my library had rebound the book in a buckram hardcover, the wheel was gone! I didn't know it had existed for another 20 years or more.

9. publiusr

publiusr Vice Admiral Admiral

I never had one...

10. Coops

Coops Commander Red Shirt

I was enjoying 'Fridays Child' yesterday, great episode, but I noticed for the first time that towards the end of the episode one of the Capellans takes a tumble as he's getting to the bottom of that big hill. It's a distance shot but the widescreen TV misses nothing:lol::lol::lol:

11. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Something I've always thought, but never said before... Does anyone think that DeForest Kelley has recently had a haircut in The Mark of Gideon? I'm probably reading too much into it, but his hair - to me anyway - looks slightly shorter at the sides.

12. ssosmcin

ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

His hair does look flatter at the sides. He could have gotten a trim. His hair was always changing, sometimes looking very much like a hairpiece, but nobody ever really scrutinized his hair like Shatner.

Methuselah Flint likes this.
  13. ZapBrannigan

One thing in print about Kelley's Star Trek hair is that when he was cast, they had it styled to try to be reminiscent of John F. Kennedy. I don't know if I read that in The Making of Star Trek, but probably. And it really does look sleeker and more modern than the simple short cut with pompadour that he had as a guest on Perry Mason and so forth.

johnnybear likes this.
  14. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually think it is the Klingon who is walking between Orange Shirt and Purple Shirt:
    https://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x11hd/fridayschildhd1264.jpg
    Oops:
    https://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x11hd/fridayschildhd1266.jpg
    https://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x11hd/fridayschildhd1267.jpg
    https://tos.trekcore.com/hd/albums/2x11hd/fridayschildhd1268.jpg

15. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Indeed. There are some episodes where his hair does stand out more, looking more artifically 'fuller' than other episodes, but the difference is nowhere near on the Shat's scale.

16. ssosmcin

ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

To be fair, in the series, Shatner's hair (I have an irrational hatred of "the Shat" nickname) in the series looks great. Its his best and most natural enhancement. As a kid, I didn't believe it was anything other than genuine.

17. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DeForest Kelley's hair does resemble John F.Kennedy's!!! I've never seen the connection before but I do now! Shatner's hair was never better in the sixties and I never even guessed until told either, even if that shot in This Side of Paradise in DVD quality shows us his hair combed into the wig!!! His later wigs were awful especially in the movies and T J Hooker where as he gets older his hair gets much thicker and darker which just doesn't happen in real life! :lol:
    JB

18. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I only recently(!) became aware that Pike’s command chair in “The Cage” lacks the pedestal Kirk’s chair has in WNMHGB and throughout the series. Kirk’s elevated position makes it easier for him not only to see over the helmsman and navigator, but also to survey all the bridge stations more effectively. The elevated conn also gives the commanding officer a greater presence.

19. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

I thought I'd read that Dee Kelly's hair was styled to be like Clint Eastwood's.

20. Physics of Trekkies

Physics of Trekkies Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Bones is more than just a crucial character. He is the counselor to the captain. He has unprecedented and exclusive access to Kirk's thoughts and feelings and misgivings and is relied upon to be his conscience.

Whenever Spock is in command, McCoy never shuts that part off. Maybe he should, maybe he shouldn't and it is fair game regarding when the time is right, but HIS own view is to keep being the conscience until asked not to be - sometimes forcefully (even by Kirk on the bridge sometimes).