News Help with an Petition for Patrick Stewart

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by W.S., Feb 20, 2019.

1. W.S.

W.S. Cadet Newbie

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/780...he-new-dune-movie/?taf_id=61506133&cid=fb_na#

I really think this must happen and if anybody can make it happen then it will be the Star Trek fan base!

Also, I think we owe a bit to Patrick Stewart (I definitely do) and I don't want to see him left out of the upcoming Dune movie... I would love to see him reprise Gurney... as he is Gurney... but failing that he should be in the movie somewhere... and the petition has some recommendations... but please feel free to reuse this idea for other characters (I may have missed) or make my petition into a better petition (I don't need credit for it - I just want to see it happen).

I appreciate (in advance) any help on this petition or the core concept behind it!

Thanks,
    W.S.

2. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Does he even want to?

3. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Well, you'll have to let me know how this comes out.

Tim Thomason likes this.
  4. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Why we want Stewart back as Gurney Halleck?

Halleck was "an ugly lump of a man" who'd escape from Harkonnen slave pits.

Stewart's just not the sort of actor who's a fit and I don't think we even saw him play the balliset.

5. Kai "the spy"

Again, does he even want to?! The man is 78 and only does those projects that he wants to do. And to be quite honest, I doubt "Dune" was anything more than a job to him. It's only us SF fans who remember him in the part, and only because he went on to do TNG. I mean, when they remake Little Lord Fauntleroy, you won't see a petition for Stewart to play Wilkins again, as he did in the Alec Guinness version. Let the man pick his own projects, he knows what he's doing. The Emoji Movie notwithstanding.

Also, Lynch's "Dune" was full of famous and brilliant actors. Do we petition for Kyle MacLachlan, Sting, and Brad Dourif, as well? Besides, as I understand it, the new movie will want to distance itself from Lynch's version as much as possible, and they're gonna cast who they think fits their purposes best.

On a personal note, if there's anybody from the past of "Dune" I'd like to see in the new movie, it would be a cameo by Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Edit: Am I being to honest?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  6. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

What are Jurgen Prochow and Dean Stockwell doing these days? How about Sian Philips?

7. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Stewart is going back to the role of Jean-Luc Picard. That's enough for me.:)

8. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Honestly, have any of these petitions having to do with the entertainment industry ever had tangible results?

Kor

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Actually, the only thing in this thread that got my attention was "An Petition." :vulcan:

DrCorby, Tim Thomason, NOVE9 and 2 others like this.
  10. Kai "the spy"

Well, all those petitions for a continuation of Young Justice might have contributed to WB actually giving it a third season, but that took several years, plus organized fans streaming the first two seasons in a loop.

11. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow, sad to hear that Patrick Stewart has fallen so far. Pathetic to realize that he needs fans' help to get him jobs these days. It's a real shame. I hope he can turn his life around.

Seven of Five likes this.
  12. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Patrick Stewart would decline just for that error. (I'm kidding--we all make them.)

But really, I thought he was miscast in the original movie so I don't understand why there is motivation to have him reprise the role.

13. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

Silly petition.

14. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

We did, but only in the extended 'Alan Smithee' cut.

I'm aghast that he won't be in Legion S3. He wanted to do it! He said so! WITAF

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

[​IMG]
    Going by the misleading title, I thought this was going to be about Patrick Stewart seeking people's signatures for a local petition for some issue he cared about or something like that.

Online fan petitions are almost completely useless, you don't know if Stewart would even want the role, he's already working on the new Picard show so he doesn't need our help, I already saw a Dune movie with Patrick Stewart in it so I don't need another, and I want to see Denis Villeneuve's own take on the universe and casting without outside interference (not that this would influence him).

Sorry for the Blunt Talk (;)), and it's nothing against Patrick Stewart, who is awesome both onscreen and off, but this is a hard pass for me.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  16. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Yeah...no

17. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kyle MacLachlan would be a neat cameo somewhere. Preferably in a large group or under makeup so as not to distract from the film.

18. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe they could get James MacAvoy to play the character. Wouldn't that be nice?

Kor

auntiehill and DrCorby like this.
  19. PhotoBoy

PhotoBoy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the most part I really love the casting of Lynch’s Dune, some of it wasn’t exactly how the book described but the actors really inhabited the characters well, the one exception for me being Patrick Stewart. His performance was great but he just wasn’t the scarred lumpen individual from the book and it kind of stuck out to me. Still, if Mr. Stewart wants to do the new Dune film I wouldn’t object!

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't really see where Gurney is a character that needs to be played by Patrick Stewart again. We already got a different actor in the miniseries and it worked out fine, and it's not like the role is associated with him the way roles like Jean-Luc Picard, or old Charles Xavier are.