Help Wanted or Want to Help?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Chindogu, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Chindogu

Chindogu Commander Red Shirt

I've never worked on any fan productions before, but I find it could be a rather interesting and fun thing to get into. So how does one start?

I'm not a director, writer or producer but I do have technical skills (post-production audio) that could really help out a project. Maybe there are other people out there who would like to contribute in some way, CGI, Music/Audio, Editing, Post Production, etc, but don't have any ideas for a project beyond their skill set. Plus I'm sure there are people out there with an idea but not the technical skills to follow through with it. Maybe we can start some kind of pinned thread for people to network and leave posts detailing what they need or what they could offer to a potential project.

What do people around here think? Has this been tried before? The Fan Fan Flick Descriptions, and Links... thread just seems to be for finished projects. Or is it just easier to post individually?

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Acually I get emails sent to OGAM I answer from people looking to volunteer. Some we keep on file, others i refer them to New Voyages. I have thought of having some sort of Volunter HR type site for fan films looking for help etc. t woudl be a hub of sorts to connect volunteers with skilss and the fan films that may need them.

3. Hoshi_Mayweather

Hoshi_Mayweather Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Chindogu, my boyfriend has an interest in doing a fan film...

I think he wanted to do one set in Robert April's time {with him playing Robert April!} or one set in ENT's era; maybe something he could submit to a film festival...

I'll keep you {and, of course anyone else, interested} posted... ;)

I know he contacted the effects people who did the Farragut films online, but I don't know if that was in regards to his Trek film idea or something else...

We'll see...{Time, and money, is always a factor as well}...

4. Chindogu

Chindogu Commander Red Shirt

A site like that would be great.

5. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Well I always looking for ways to help get fan films made.

6. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In my case I just posted a reply in a thread over at the HF forum with examples of some of my prior work and asked some questions about participating. Rob Caves decided he liked what he saw, started a little chat and we just went from there.
    Fairly easy and pretty straightforward.
    The fanfilm scene has become a living, breathing entity and there´ll always be a production that has an open spot and can use the help people offer. And don´t forget we all have to start somewhere. If the ones in charge know what they´re doing they´ll assign you tasks you can handle and which you can grow from.

7. Sec31Mike

Sec31Mike Commander Red Shirt

I would like to see a sort of HR website for fan film production. I am starting to learn some CG work and am aiming at helping out some of the fan productions.

I think an awesome part of the site would be an education section that teaches the skills necessary to help out fan productions. This would be great to help get newbies off the ground and into the swing. It would be a shame if a potential talent was discouraged or too intimidated to try. Thi would be a great way for them to ease into a production role.

8. lennier1

Depends on what kind of skills you´re talking about since fanfilms can make use a broad variety (make-up, writing, storyboards, acting, camera, lighting, directors, CG exteriors, CG interiors, CG animation, compositing, soundtrack, audio FX, ...).
    Might be kind of a shameless plug since I´m a regular there but for tips and tricks concerning science fiction related CG it can´t hurt to visit SFM (SciFi-Meshes).

9. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed, and working on an idea to do something like that.

10. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Unless of course you're involved in producing a fanfilm, in which case the welcome is unfortunately rather less than warm.

11. lennier1

I was talking about the aspect of learning skills, not recruitment.
    There´s a lot of experienced people there and they´re usually pretty supportive when people want to learn how to do things rather than have them done for them with nothing in return ("once burnt ..." ;) ). Heck, some people who initially just wanted to show some of the work they´ve done for projects of theirs even became regulars!
    It´s kinda sad but considering what happened in the past thanks to the proverbial "bad apples" it´s understandable why they´re often somewhat hostile towards requests from outsiders whom they don´t have much or any experience with.

12. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Oh I realise that, I just think the degree of hostility is excessive.