Help How do I open my 3D printer software?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Tribble Threat, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Tribble Threat

Tribble Threat Commander Red Shirt

I just bought an EasyThreed 3d printer nano, and it comes with software labeled "Setup_E3D Nano". The instructions clearly say I'm supposed to click on that, and then download the software. The problem is that when I double-click on that, I get a message saying I need to choose an app to open it. None of the options listed on my computer's options successfully opens this software. The options listed are: FireFox, Internet Explorer, Notepad, Office SML Handler, Windows Media Player, and Windows Wordpad Application. All of them lead to a dead end.

What app do I use to open this thing?

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Been to their website?

3. XCV330

XCV330 Premium Member

without knowing for certain, it could be an xml file. load it int he browser of your choice and see if it does as it says, downloading the actual software. that file is not associated with anything in your GUI right now

4. Tribble Threat

I've managed to solve this problem. Or, more accurately, my girlfriend solved it. Turns out when I unzipped the file, it didn't successfully get unzipped, so I had to do it again.

Now I have another problem. I can open the software, and I have a blueprint that came with the software and a blueprint that I downloaded from thingiverse.com but I can't seem to get either of these into the printer to print them. I put the images on the flash drive that came with the printer, and it's a special flash drive with a tiny memory card in the back. I take the memory card out of the flash drive and insert it into the slot in the printer, and nothing happens. If the blueprints are in the memory card like the website says they'd be, the printer isn't reading them. The printer does successfully squirt out a little plastic filament when I test its functionality, but that's all it does.

Any idea what to do about it? Anyone have experience with 3D printers?

5. Tribble Threat

I stand corrected. The original problem isn't solved. She only unzipped and opened an unrelated file. The file I need to unzip is something called a RAR file, and I tried following the instructions on this website https://www.howtogeek.com/73904/beginner-how-to-extract-.rar-files-on-windows-7-and-mac-os-x/ but it's getting me nowhere. I now have this "7-zip" thingy on my computer, and I can write click the words "Setup_E3D Nano", click 7-zip, and click on the three rows of words that each start with "Extract". The first two rows just lead me in an infinite loop of opening and saving Set Up E3D Nano. The third one, labeled 'Extract to Setup_E3D Nano\" leads to promising results for the short term. A little window pops up asking asking if I want to replace the file. Whether I click "Yes" or "No", all that happens is the gray window disappears, and I'm back where I'm started. And when I click on the words "Setup_E3D Nano", I'm brought into the same infinite loop.

What do I do about this? I am absolutely not a computer programmer.