Helmsman division in Discovery

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by JayTheTrekkie, Oct 3, 2017.

1. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Normally the helmsman/conn is part of the command division but why in Discovery, how come its part of the operation division now?

Not sure if this was the right place to ask....couldn't decide if to post about this in general trek or this forum.

guyute03 likes this.
  2. guyute03

guyute03 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't even know who is flying the ship so I can't help you. We've been introduced to characters in a weird stretched out way, 3 episodes in I don't think we've even met the whole main cast yet.

BillJ likes this.
  3. Spike730

Spike730 Captain Captain

Nothing unusual. They were not part of command division in WNMHGB and Star Trek 1-7.

Nerys Myk likes this.
  4. JayTheTrekkie

JayTheTrekkie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ok. Guess it switches back and forth sometimes in some eras.

5. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

Dax flew the Defiant in blue. The helm has never been particularly consistent in that regard.

6. Longinus

Longinus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But that was not her real job so it really doesn't count.

7. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

I know she took time off from making sandwiches and fetching beverages from the fridge but it still kinda counts.
    :biggrin:

KennyB and Noname Given like this.
  8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about Nog flying the ship while wearing gold? In fact, did any of the helmsmen on the Defiant ever wear red? Only one I can think of is the helmsman for its scene in First Contact.

9. Longinus

I think Defiant is a super bad example for this, because it was really not a normally operating starship, but an auxiliary to DS9. Dax, Nog and rest of the crew had their main jobs on DS9, and their divisions are based on those.

10. Fandango831

Fandango831 Commander Red Shirt

Both Mitchell and Kelso are Ops technically, and technically both Tyler and Una are Command. Pretty sure in general every Starfleet officer and even some enlisted are rated to man both Helm/Conn ala Chief DiFalco.

11. The Wormhole

How about the Valiant then, which was an operating starship piloted by a goldshirt.
    http://ds9.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/6x22/valiant_162.jpg

12. Longinus

13. The Wormhole

Yes, the Valiant's captain even gives him course instructions and even addressed those orders to "helm" and that goldshirt says "aye sir." In fact, here's the transcript:
    If he's not the helmsman, why's he answering all the instructions for the helmsman?

14. Longinus

He's a temp. He's just filling in for the real pilot. (Though in reality it's a costuming error.)

15. The Wormhole

Well, no, he appears to be the alpha shift helmsman given he takes over the helm whenever the ship goes on red alert. I'd also argue against a costuming error since he also seems to double as a security officer, indeed he's the one who arrests Jake later on in the episode when the Valiant's captain stops liking him.

16. Longinus

Ok, that's the explanation then! His shirt colour is based on his job as a security officer!

17. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

It would be tempting to think there's no Helm Division, what with flying a computer-controlled ship being a job beneath even a Monkee and his two trainees.

Timo Saloniemi