Hellboy III

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Reverend, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

It may be the first time something like this has been decided by an informal twitter poll, but Guillermo del Toro has stated he's doing just that. If he gets at least 100k votes in 24 hours he's promising to sit down and get serious with Perlman and Mignola (at the time of posting he already has over 98K with less than 8 hours to spare.) So if you want to see Ron Perlman stomping around in a trench coat and bodypaint again, here's the place to let it be known and it may actually happen! ;)

Personally I loved the original two movies (even if the first has some noticeable flaws) and it's what led me to check out the rest of del Toro's filmography. If you've only seen his English language movies like 'Mimic', 'Blade 2' and 'Pacific Rim' I strongly recommend you go check out 'The Devil's Backbone', 'Cronos' and most especially 'Pan's Labyrinth'.
    The guy is a master storyteller with a hell of a range able to deftly juggle the macabre, the whimsical and the action packed excitement of a Hollywood blockbuster with seemingly the greatest of ease and sometimes all in the same movie. In fact I don't think I've seen a filmmaker pull off such cinematic back-flips since Hitchcock.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

And it already has more than 100,000 votes as of my vote.

I'm all for it. I'm not the biggest fan of the first film, partially because of the unnecessary audience surrogate in the form of Myers, although I did enjoy it more when recently watched it again. However, I love the second film and it ranks high among my favorite superhero films.

Ron Perlman has been pushing for a sequel for years, despite not enjoying the make-up. He realizes the fans deserve a third and final film that concludes the story as prophesied by the first two.

I'm surprised del Toro is doing this poll and promising to move things forward based on the results. It's always been my impression that it's the studio that needs convincing, not him, even though he's been busy with other projects.

3. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

It would be great to see a third Hellboy

4. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

A third Hellboy is right up there with me wanting a Dredd sequel with Urban.
    HB: The Golden Army was killed by a poor release date, it opened 5 days before The Dark Knight which started shows on a Wed a do believe. It was steam rolled as any movie would've been.

Why it wasn't moved is beyond me. There is competition and then there is the 800 pd Gorilla on the release date, any move regardless of the competition or season would've been better than that close to TDK in 2008!!

5. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I loved the first two Hellboy movies (along with Pacific Rim and Blade II, although I thought that Pan's Labyrinth was extremely mediocre), and I really want to see a third one. I hope something comes of this.

6. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll be happy to see a new Hellboy film too:)

7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like the first HB movie a lot, and I absolutely love the second one, so I've been dying for a third one. I really hope this actually works out.
    I wanted to vote in the poll, but I couldn't find it on GDT's Twitter page.

8. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Wouldn't mind a third movie, but I'm pretty sure you don't get financing based on twitter likes...

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

He's just gauging fan interest before *talking* to the other two people who'd need to be down for this before even attempting to move forward. He's not promising anything more than that.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's just the first early step in a very long process, and still not a guarantee the movie will actually make it to the screen.

11. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

No interest from me, thanks. The two existing movies are highly mediocre, and from what I've seen, Del Toro is a better art/production designer than a storyteller. I'd advise him to do a lower-cost miniseries on Netflix or something where he can marry his wild creature designs to equally wild stories, rather than the warmed-over superhero and apocalyptic genre leftovers of Hellboy and Pacific Rim. (Although from what I understand of The Strain, long-form genre storytelling isn't really his forte yet, either.)

12. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

Hell yeah!

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know how much of an active hand he has in The Strain, the showrunner is Carlton Cuse, so he would be the one in charge of the day to day production rather than Del Toro.