Haynes Enterprise Manual Updates?

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by Admiral_Young, Nov 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's now November and I haven't read anything on this book since it was first announced I think back at the end of June or something like that. Does anyone know if it's still coming out in January like the announcement stated, or maybe it was Feb I can't remember now. Not even a cover yet.

2. USS KG5

USS KG5 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd be deeply unsurprised if this had been scrubbed.

3. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

The announcement didn't state a date, just 2010.

Haynes' latest catalogue has upcoming releases listed until June 2010 - nothing about it in there as yet (although it could be slotted in when it's ready).

4. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, Margaret Clark was just let go from Pocket, and these sort of things were her perview, so yeah, don't be surprised if the sucker got scrubbed.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This project thought was a joint effort and could easily have been taken on by the other publisher after the chaos that went on at Pocket Books earlier in the year. I wouldn't be surprised if this has been scrapped either since there has been no further news on it. It kind of sucks because I was really looking forward to this next year.

6. Captain Robert April

I'd prefer a Haynes guide on the original ship. Hell, I'd even help write the thing.

7. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A TOS Haynes manual would be great - it might finally explain how they fit a 30' shuttlecraft interior into a 21' shuttle exterior!
    Or would that reveal the secret Federation alliance with the Gallifreyans?

8. Captain Robert April

In the case of the shuttlecraft, I think I'd bring in Warped9's solution of a slightly bigger exterior with a slightly smaller interior, going for the "close enough for government work" answer.

9. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Works for a "real life" answer I suppose, but it means that both versions we saw on screen have to be abandoned. Unfortunately with the shuttlecraft problem, something has to go for any sort of a solution.

Or a wizard did it.

10. Captain Robert April

Warped9's version is actually a pretty elegant solution. The exterior is only slightly larger, but not immediately obvious unless you do a side by side comparison, and the interior is slightly more cramped, but not the extent where only a crew of hobbits would be comfortable.

11. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

Will this Haynes book be based on a complete tear-down and rebuild like so many other Haynes books?

Their '96-2001 Ford Explorer book is like a bible to me!

12. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Absolutely. I consider his work to be the "definitive" take on the physical configuration of the TOS shuttlecraft, and am using his version as an adjunct to my TOS 1701 in fact.

I'm sure that they'll include a section on how to clean out the "warp beer delivery choppers."

Seriously... did anyone else, when watching the new movie and that "Scotty in the tubes" bit, find themself thinking about Galaxy Quest? ;)

13. Captain Robert April

Odd, considering JJ's stated concerns about "how can you make this movie after seeing Galaxy Quest?" that he just turned right around and did make a warmed over Galaxy Quest ripoff.

14. Captain Robert April

How much ya wanna bet the plans changed once they got the word on just how stupid big the ship was?

Might as well do a Haynes Guide on a stardestroyer....

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Excuse me, but how is this movie in any way a "Galaxy Quest ripoff?" Or are you just making a pointless and unbackable statement just becouse you hate this movie so much?

16. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

In either case, even some of the required tools would be too big to illustrate, even on a double page spread! LOL

17. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Actually, I can see the movie being a lot closer in spirit to Galaxy Quest than anything in Star Trek thus far... except that I still preferred Galaxy Quest. But, please, make sure to take this as absolutely personal as possible, because we all know that any negative comment on a movie is a personal attack directed against YOU.

And, honestly, I think Haynes is reconsidering because they would have to use the blueprints of a real-world brewery, among other rediculous things.

18. Captain Robert April

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bingo! Tell 'im what he's won, Johnny...

Gee, I wish Galaxy Quest had been a big success because I'd like to have seen a sequel.

Problem is, the only people who loved GQ were Trek geeks and a few fellow travelers - it wasn't quite a bomb, but no one at DreamWorks was itching to throw good money after bad.

JJTrek, OTOH, was not only loved by (based on the responses of Trek fans here and elsewhere) nine out of ten Trek fans who saw it but millions and millions of less pre-conditioned folks...

20. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

I never argued it wasn't successful, Dennis. I argued that I didn't like it. There's plenty of populist stuff that I don't give a rat's anus about. Revenge of the Fallen, for instance... Arguing populism doesn't matter crap if you're talking about any single individual's tastes. Get over it. Some people don't like the movie.. the movie's feelings are not going to be hurt.

Besides, I think that JJ has better things to do with his money than worry about some people who didn't like his film, or worry about a handful of people who take the film so personally. It's not like he's saying, "Oh no, April didn't like my movie! But, thankfully, Dennis did, I feel better now. How can my fragile ego handle the slings and arrows of anonymous assholes on the internet!"

And, as a more topical aside, I really did mean that Haynes really may be put off the project because of the choices of sets used. Some of that stuff has other legal protections which may not transfer to a third party all that well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.