Have the Q ever told an untruth?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Borg Queen, Nov 21, 2012.

1. The Borg Queen

The Borg Queen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was thinking back to the Voyager episode Death Wish where Tuvok asks Quinn if the Q have any weaknesses.

Has there ever been a situation in The Next Generation or Voyager where a Q has outright lied about something?

I don't mean a half-truth, or whatever, but actually stated categorically something that is contrary to reality?

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

He told Janeway that the Q have never reproduced, directly contradicting the Next Gen episode "True Q" - but that wasn't an in-universe lie, it was the writers pretending the prior episode never happened.

As for a real fib told in-universe, I'm not sure.

3. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Relating to the above, Q originally told the Borg are neither male nor female, yet we saw people turned into Drones and back seemingly without the loss of those things that traditionally define "male" and "female". I guess it's a matter of interpretation.

Q also claimed mankind was declared not guilty of savagery in "Farpoint" but backpedaled in his very next appearance...

Timo Saloniemi

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Q in question in True Q of course left the continuum and became human when they reporduced, so technically that wasn't a lie, just the truth from a certain point of view.

5. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In "True Q," Q tells the crew that Amanda's parents died in an accident when, in fact, they were executed by the Continuum. He also agrees with Picard that Amanda will be allowed to choose her path, when in fact he already knows she has to go back to the Continuum whether she wants to or not. Seems like two lies to me.

6. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Vash mentioned that some Gamma Quadrant race called Q the God of Lies. So... yes?

7. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This.

About Amanda's parents... to Q, it was an accident. It doesn't matter that they caused it, to them, their deaths were caused by accidents.

They are their judges, they don't define lies and truths the way we do. So saying that they are lying, is a judgement from out viewpoints, not theirs.