Has Chome ever become Toxically incompatiable with your OS?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Guy Gardener, Mar 16, 2016.

?

Has Chome ever become Toxically incompatiable with your OS?

1. Nah, brah, you need to calm down, and maybe your hair will grow back.

1 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. #### Chrome.

4 vote(s)
    80.0%
  1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

This morning I turned off my laptop to vacuum underneath, it's resting on a beer crate with a brambles of cords running in and out of it like some half dead #### on lifesupport. I used the wrong Vacuum, which barely sucks. Someone should really throw it out, but I found the unbroken vacuum cleaner during a rant at god about how much he hates me. Too little, too late God. You're on the list. So, I put the Laptop back together, and all seems okily dookily until the Windows 7 cursor turns into a snake chasing it's own tail as the desktop/task bar freezes. My morning became a mess of incordial noncompliance and a loud abrasive loop of familiar swears.

System restore didn't work, checking for new programs didn't work... It took about 5 minutes for whatever was going wrong to start going wrong, so I had time to eliminate the usual suspects before Windows went wrong, and demand rebootation. Process of elimination, trial and error, the scientific ####ing method.

The bastard trying to undo me turned out to be that #### Chrome.

#### Chrome.

This is the second computer/operating system (XP last time, a few years ago, sticking me in the gut with a slurry of blue screens of death) where Chrome has turned into a poisonous turd, who refuses to obey orders and play nicely. I'm using Firefox now, all is fine, no issues that needing resolution, but the mantra of the idiot is always "this can't just be happening to me" or "Am I the only one..." so you under the stand the question right?

Has Chrome ever tried to ruin your day?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Chrome does that every single time, so I try to never, ever even consider using it. It's a menace that's second only to Internet Exploder.

3. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

I've run into some issues with it. Just mainly thorn in my side stuff. Nothing that bad though. At least it's better than FF. I don't use that one if I don't have to. It runs way too slow now.

I couldn't click on anything on a forum I was on via Chrome before, so I did some searching.

Edit, Edit, Edit: I'm once again posting on Chrome, it turns out that I had to rename my 'Default' folder, 'Backup' and then reload the browser. It's now not non responsive and I can click on threads again.

Link to what helped solved the problem

Disclaimer: from ehow.com

4. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

The corrupted profile thing - which is what seems to have happened to Random_Spock - can also happen on Firefox.

Regarding the question of the OP I've only installed Chromium - Chrome's open source Linux brother - and never had problems with it. I use it occasionally but my standard browser is Firefox.

Kind of weird that a browser can crash an OS like that. An application in userspace should never be able to do that. Was it perhaps using some bad memory space or disk space? Have you done something like ramtest and whatever checkdisk is called now?

Random_Spock likes this.
  5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't bothered to reinstall Chrome since I installed a fresh Fire fox.

Rebooting my lap top is annoying.

The lap top saying "DING! DING! This OS has been on for a week. You should reboot, do you want to reboot, press this icon, thank you. Sill waiting. Reboot already you big din a ing"

Firefox is less of a resource hog.

(My new lap top is old.)

6. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

It seems like all browsers are trying to out-do each other in being bloated, over developed $hitpiles.

The quick release version garbage with Chrome and FireFox undoes decades of release numbering and doesn't add anything, other than excess bloat unseen since the last days of Netscape.

I'm still with FireFox. At least the add-ons are easy to, well, add on and there are some pretty useful ones. Though the quick release nonsense makes it hard for the developers of those add-ons to keep up.

I went from Netscape to FireFox so long ago because FireFox was cleaner, more streamlined and far less bloated. Chrome is streamlined, but I never took a liking to it. It's too streamlined with a lack of add-ons I like.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's Firefox all the way, for me. I like its ability to accept or reject cookies on a site-to-site basis (I set mine to accept cookies only for TrekBBS and reject most others).

And it has the advantage of, you know, not being made by Google.

8. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I left Firefox because it became a bloated pile of junk. I use Chrome now, and don't really have any issues. Oh, and @Mr. Laser Beam, Chrome also accepts and rejects cookies on a site to site basis, too. :D

Random_Spock likes this.
  9. C. Cole-Chakotay

C. Cole-Chakotay Commodore Commodore

Personally, I like Opera browser. It has served me well for many, many years.

10. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. I use it only once in a blue moon and recently it even hung while I was trying to clear cookies. Chrome doesn't hang nearly as much and runs pretty smoothly.

11. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have had issues with all the browsers from time to time, though so far only Chrome has been nasty to other things as well.

Firefox seems quite happy (both on Win10 and Android) for me, so I'm quite happy to continue using that for now.