Harold Perrineau on his story this year (spoilers up to S4 finale)

Discussion in 'Lost' started by Hunter X, May 30, 2008.

1. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And he's not all that impressed.

Read here

I was also pretty surprised they brought him back to show him in three or four episodes, then kill him. I mean, they couldn't have just created a new character to fit the same sort of role? After all that build up about Michael this year, even though he's no where near a favourite of mine, seems like a waste by the end of it.

2. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree with your take. I can't say I blame him for being a wee bit disgruntled. Although at least he got paid for a full season's worth of work.

3. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

I call bogus on this one. It reminds me Kara Thrace's fate in Maelstrom where RDM in the podcast said "blah blah blah sorry to let her go... the dreaded phone call..."

Michael will be back.

4. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm surprised he's surprised. For the guy who kills innocents to die nobly and be redeemed has gotta be one of the oldest TV cliches around. Michael is an important enough character that he must be redeemed, as opposed to Keamy, who can just be killed sans redemption. Same thing happened with Damar and I'm sure there are plenty of other examples. Baltar on BSG is probably headed there, too.

I was rooting for Mike to be the one in the coffin, after we see him go kablooey, haw! :D That would have been pure Lost. And it would have been fun to see the writers defy the "rules" by not folliowing the redemption plotline, but oh well, they did. Anyway, I'm still hopeful for Jin to return.

Anyway, I hope Perrineau gets another genre TV role. I like him and Michael really wasn't the best or more satisfyingly written character to say the least. ;)
    I was sure Kara would be back after Maelstrom but I'm equally sure Michael is dead. Christian saying "you can go now" spells final to me. Kara's death wasn't appropriate at that point - her story was far from over - but Michael's story would just be his reconciliation with Walt, so there's not much more the story needs him for. And there are reconciliation plotlines up the wazoo, the writers can't see to all of them. There's gotta be a balance. Claire and Charlie get a bad ending, Des and Penny get a good one. Michael and Walt get a bad ending, Sun and Jin get a good one.

5. Hunter X

Hunter X Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't write Des and Penny's ending as good quite yet. I'm suspecting that they'll get a good ending in the way that Alex and Rousseau did: reconciled at the end of one season only to be horribly separated by the end of the next.

6. MadBaggins

MadBaggins Captain Captain

I can't believe he played the race card, after everything Lost has done for him. It plucked him out of the murky world of Matrix sequels and made him a star and this is how he repays it!?

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

While I'm also surprised he played the race card, Perrineau was well known before The Matrix sequels. He was the star of the HBO hit series Oz.

8. rafterman1701

rafterman1701 Commodore Commodore

While I wish Michael had gotten more screen time, his character was allowed to redeem himself and that was worth bringing him back. He saved his friends. I don't know what else he wanted as an actor, but wasn't this the end that was coming for the character all along? Otherwise, why bring him back?

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  9. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

Reminded me of the exact same thing.

10. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

TPTB have always said Michael had to come back to redeem himself. He couldn't just murder two people and go of and have a happy life. They never said he had to die but they did imply it.

11. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

I cant believe he thought he deserved a happy ending after killing Libby and Anna Lucia.

Does he want Ben to have a happy ending too?

And Syieds ending wasnt that happy, I guess he only read his bits if he thinks Syied went off into the sunset with his wife happily ever after

12. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I suppose they could have done more, and yeah, I would have liked to have seen him live on, but I felt that his role was substantial enough and I don't feel shortchanged by what they did with his return. There are shows out there that give their returnees only one episode to wrap things up. At least Michael got a few and had something to do. About the only thing that was missing was a confrontation with people like Jack and Hurley.

13. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I definitely think Michael was severely under-used in season 4. He really didn't get much screen time, and I think his road to redemption could have been longer. It didn't have to involve a bomb on the freighter. If anything, I think it would have been more dramatic if Michael ended up back on the island, and had to face all the people he betrayed. The writers could have done more with him.

14. biotech

We'll maybe if there had been no strike his roll would have been larger, but there was, and he should just deal with it.

They could have not had him back at all.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember him from his appearance on L&O (he played a hacker enlisted by the police to find the source of a virus) and the Romeo & Juliet movie from 96.

16. witchie

witchie Commodore Commodore

Since I've never liked Michael and always thought he was a whiner, I'm glad I don't have to see more of his character. He was around just enough to close out his storyline and that's it. As far as Harold's allegations about it being a race issue, give me a break. Jin Yeoh and Aaron are both fatherless. No one is getting a happy ending. I felt for Walt because they (the O6) abandoned him, but I understood why they couldn't contact him. Hell, what exactly was the storyline behind his and Michael's return? Did they even bring it up in Michael's ep?

ETA: I always got the impression, my opinion of course, that Harold kinda expected to be more of a star on the show because of his previous work, and it didn't work out like that.

17. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't blame Harold, but he did get three solid years of salary, unlike Boone!

18. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Ok, ewwwww ... a little black boy and his father hooking up, that wasn't interesting?.

They hooked up? Brother and sister doing the horizontal mombo wasn't enough, now this actor wants father and son to do it too? Gross, man!

19. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Actually, he was on Law & Order twice (1990 & 1993), but both of them where minor roles. My point was the he was a well known actor prior to Lost because of Oz.

20. biotech

Not that well known if you dont watch the show, as a genre fan, I recognised Jin and Locke straight away, and Bernard when he was introduced.

Charlie and Desmond were both in long running english shows, plus Charlie was in a trilogy that was fairly popular, lord of the something or other.

He must have a Shatner sized ego if he walked in there thinking he was going to be the main star.