Happy 20th Anniversary, Farscape

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by tomalak301, Mar 18, 2019.

1. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I noticed a couple days ago that we are approaching the 20th anniversary of what I consider to be the best Sci Fi series I have ever seen. Tomorrow, it will be 20 years since the first episode aired, and I came across this article that to celebrate, it's going back to streaming on Amazon Prime.

https://www.marketwatch.com/press-r...prime-video-on-tuesday-march-19th-2019-03-18/

I did a Farscape rewatch last year, but maybe I might do another one this year. It really was a creative and unique experience.

SCE2Aux, Cyfa, Anwar and 3 others like this.
  2. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I knew it had first aired a while ago, but it didn't feel that long ago:(

Might be time for a rewatch too:)

tomalak301 likes this.
  3. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I only ever saw this on TV on, I wanna say, Chicago's WGN once or twice. I don't think Sci-Fi was even running it at the time.

I had to get the Starburst DVD's at a time they were out of production, and the first couple sets were pretty steep ($100+ per set), but I got 'em all in single-sided format.

One of the best parts of a massive DVD & blu-ray collection.

Gary Mitchell and tomalak301 like this.
  4. Booji

Booji Commodore Premium Member

Reese's Pieces!

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damn, has it really been 20 years? Now I feel old. :(

tomalak301 likes this.
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finally! I was doing a rewatch on Netflix a while back, and they pulled it before I could finish the last season. So then I was just going to buy the digital version on Amazon, but then they pulled it completely off Amazon before I could buy it. Glad I heard about this before I got the DVDs.

tomalak301 likes this.
  7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Need to catch up again. Really enjoyed this show! Can't believe its been twenty years, but I keep a copy of Farscape magazine in my desk drawer so it always feels fresh :D

tomalak301 likes this.
  8. tomalak301

I’m curious about what they are doing with the Mini-series. I guess HD was a thing when it aired but it will be nice to get a HD remaster all the same. Also that miniseries is hard to get so the news that it’s going on streaming as well is welcome. I got the miniseries as a bonus with the complete series set from a Best Buy but I don’t think it’s been made available Since.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So who has read the comics? I have and I know of at least one other poster who posted about them in another thread. I only read the first miniseries so far, but I do plan on getting back to it once I've gotten through some of my other stuff I own but haven't read yet.
    The first miniseries was great, I loved finally getting to see Hyneria. I understand that it probably would probably have been to hard to do a whole planet of Hynerians on a TV budget, so it was nice to see the comics take advantage of not having a budget to finally show it. There was also a later arc that visited Pilot's homeworld, which we only saw a tiny bit of on the show. I'm really looking forward to that one.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I own and have read all of them. I really enjoyed all of the storylines, although I had one or two quibbles about one thing in particular and I was sorry the series came to an end with a few dangling plot threads.

11. Marc

Marc Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Have vague recollections of it's premier on Australian tv (initialy was a co-production with the Nine Network down under) but watched it from the first episode till the last as ch9 screwed it around time after time (like they did to so much sci-fi).

The worst travesty was the final season which was cut to fit a g-rated time slot of 5pm Saturday and the edits were pretty brutal.

tomalak301 likes this.
  12. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Best space opera since TNG...and a good deal less predictable.

Anwar, Gary Mitchell and tomalak301 like this.
  13. tomalak301

And much more character driven. I mean there is a good reason why Aeryn is one of my favorite heroines ever, and I put her on the same pedestal of Ellen Ripley and Sarah Connor.

Serveaux and The Nth Doctor like this.
  14. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Farscape is an odd show for me. I really like (most of) Season 1 and I pretty much love Season 3, but I can barely tolerate Season 2 (although ironically one of my favorite episodes is a S2 episode, The Way We Weren't) and I couldn't get through season 4. If Season 1 and 3 were the only seasons, it would be a top 5 Sci Fi series. As it is, its a show that I love parts of, but only tolerate or even outright hate other parts. I'll still rewatch the seasons and episodes I like, but I hated season 4 so much I don't even care that I have literally no idea what happens after the first part of S4, I never even bothered to look up what happens on wikipedia.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I started watching this on YTV as a boy back in 1999, but they stopped airing it by the end of Season 1. I didn't get back into it until Season 3, so I had catching up to do.

Great visual aesthetic, I'll say that.

16. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

Ah, happy anniversary, Farscape! I might just have to sign up to Amazon Prime for this.
    So many things to like about Farscape, but Pilot is probably my very favourite character (especially when he started to get snippy with the rest of Moya's "crew" as they got to know each other).

Ar-Pharazon likes this.
  17. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

When they cut Pilot's arm off I was like, this universe is so not a safe place. :lol:

Trek ain't got that.

tomalak301 and Ar-Pharazon like this.
  18. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Some other clips I put up on YT-

Last edited: Mar 19, 2019
  19. SCE2Aux

SCE2Aux Captain Captain

Aah 20 years!! Great show :) . I remember watching it on bbc 2. Do any brits remember the bbc running a sort of cult/scifi website, covering Trek, Farscape, Doctor Who etc? I always enjoyed reading through that.

20. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh absolutely. I checked that out regularly back in the day. It's even still there as an archive:)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/farscape/