Happy 109th Birthday Franz Joseph

Tallguy

Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral
It was my intention to have something finished for FJ's birthday this year, but Real Life has intervened.

So instead I will post a couple of WIPs and some Greatest Hits.

Franz Josef Schnaubelt, aka Franz Joseph.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Franz_Joseph

Author of the ground-breaking Star Trek: Technical Manual. How groundbreaking? His designs have appeared in official Star Trek works as recently as Picard!

Here are some of my humble interpretations of his work.

Those colored schematics are exquisite.

I love the differentiated colors of the nacelle caps that hint to what's going on inside the nacelles. This adds a whole new level of interpretation to the plans.

---

IMO, "groundbreaking" is actually an understatement. The Booklet of General Plans and Technical Manual were revolutionary ancillary materials for a television show that gave it a degree of verisimilitude never seen before, AFAIK.

Thanks. The dreadnought is the only one I plan to do the blue nacelles with. I figure it's the LAST BIG THING before the Motion Picture era.

At one point I had added vents to the inboard of the nacelle that glowed blue, not unlike SNW. But I dialed that back because Andrew Probert (I think?) once compared the transition from the engines in TOS going to TMP being comparable to going from propellers to jets. Rather than making it a smooth transition I wanted it to stay a jump. So I just moved the nacelle glow further up the visual spectrum and said "That looks cool!"

Oh, and I started revisiting this after the Season 3 premier of Picard where the dreadnought became SCREEN USED! :)

It was my intention to have something finished for FJ's birthday this year, but Real Life has intervened.

So instead I will post a couple of WIPs and some Greatest Hits.

Franz Josef Schnaubelt, aka Franz Joseph.
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Franz_Joseph

Author of the ground-breaking Star Trek: Technical Manual. How groundbreaking? His designs have appeared in official Star Trek works as recently as Picard!

Here are some of my humble interpretations of his work.

Excellent work. Would absolutely print off for my manual.

One new design might be to have a tug pod be a secondary hull for a wider dreadnaught saucer for an Ares like four nacelle design for SFB.

Back