Great Fight scenes. But?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by jessie, Apr 20, 2019.

1. jessie

jessie Ensign Newbie

Awesome 2nd season finale. Great story line. They had a few great fight scenes this year, just wish there were more like last season 1. The credits say that the Fight Coordinator was HUBERT BOORDER. One of the major things that drew me back to Discovery were the fight scenes that feel more like a movie than just a T.V. show. My friends, Non-Trekkie's became Trekkie's. I loved the fight scenes detailed to each (character race fighting style) really snared me and the first season was amazing. Great job HUBERT BOORDER. I hope the writing in all future seasons allow for such great fight scenes. Live long and prosper.

Lonemagpie, Jesse1066 and Alan Roi like this.
  2. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the rotating gravity failing corridor fight.

3. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don’t mind the odd fight scene here and there. A bit of hand to hand combat here and there, but I did feel that it went on for far too long in the finale.

Each to their own.

Tosk and jessie like this.
  4. jessie

jessie Ensign Newbie

The gravity fight must have been very difficult to coordinate. I loved the logical fighting style from Micheal Burnham, The Strength of Saru and the clever way the fights for each race were explored. Almost felt like a (Bourne) series. I love the action created.

CommanderRaytas and Alan Roi like this.
  5. jessie

jessie Ensign Newbie

Each to their own. Yes. I just think the creations of the different fighting styles were brilliant.

Alan Roi and Butters like this.
  6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The finale itself went on far too long. Or at least all the monologues in it sure did.

ITDUDE, Spaceship Jo and PhotoBoy like this.
  7. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

It always helps if Michelle Yeoh is involved in a fight scene.

8. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm really disappointed with the fight scenes actually. As a fan of Michelle Yeoh I think her full potential is not being shown in the fights.
    Other cast members look quite mechanical when fighting, the choreography is not great.
    The Gravity fight was interesting but not so well executed. When I think to something like 'Inception' I think they could have done better.

I understand that there is a time limit to these things and fights on TV can't be done like the movies but if the cast had more training and if a little more time was spent on the choreography planning, including the way it's filmed it would make a big difference.

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  9. NewHeavensNewEarth

NewHeavensNewEarth Commodore Commodore

Can you imagine them trying that in TNG or any other series to that level? They did great here.

F. King Daniel, Lord Garth and jessie like this.
  10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Late DS9 came close, but CGI was still limited in 1999, so I think they did pretty well.

Certainly the arrival of the "Klingon cavalry" was reminiscent of Sacrifice Of Angles.

SolarisOne, DS9forever and XCV330 like this.
  11. jessie

jessie Ensign Newbie

Compare these fight scenes to any other Star Trek series and I'm sure you could clearly see the difference. To get a actor untrained in martial arts to move like Jackie Chan is not going to happen.
    You would have to tailor the fights to what the actor could pull off to their abilities, also, they probably didn't have a lot of time to choreograph or train the actors for each scene and finally the director gets the finally say in the fights to be cut possibly because of budget so over all the fights and choreography were excellent in my eyes..

12. jessie

jessie Ensign Newbie

Found this on Trek Core

[​IMG]
    Sam Vartholomeos@SamVartholomeos

It took a lot for this fight to look the way it did. This was one of the first run-throughs @SonequaMG and I did. Choreographed by the awesome Hubert Boorder, we still had some kinks to work out. Geoff Meech was an amazing stunt double. It was a pleasure to fight with all of you!
    10:19 PM - Feb 1, 2018

13. jessie

jessie Ensign Newbie

14. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Michelle Yeoh is approaching 60 years old, she can't do the same things she did 20 years ago and I think for her age she does amazing work in the fight scenes

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Why would I try to imagine that on shows that were made 20-30 years ago?
    Same reason why I don't compare the battles on game of thrones to Xena Warrior Princess.

Then instead of trying to show characters actually trained in Martial arts how about showing the actor's natural strengths instead? It would make it that bit more authentic rather than an actor untrained trying to pull off moves that take a lot more training.

Watch 'Master Z: Ip Man Legacy' released in 2018 and tell me that again.

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  16. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I would never watch a show or movie for the goddamned fight scenes.

17. Infern0

I don't need to watch anything to tell you a near 60 year old woman can't do the same things she could in her 30's, physically

That's biology

Serveaux likes this.
  18. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You would be surprised.

19. Infern0

The day we have a 60 year old 100m champion or a 60 year old best player in the NBA or etc etc etc then yeah ill be surprised

saladdays likes this.
  20. Agony_Boothb

Agony_Boothb Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You should probably watch Michelle Yeoh sword fighting in Master Z, it's pretty much identical to how she fought in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.

SolarisOne and Saul like this.