Gravity

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Refuge, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

Tuvok, Tom and the Doctor stranded on a planet with a temporal time differential to Voyager.

I like this episode and Tuvok so when he comes to Noss' rescue and does his cool Vulcan moves it is well, cool. I even like Noss with the awful voice, she's Rey from Star Wars before Rey existed. Tom and Tuvok together, it's refreshing to see Voyager put together 'odd couples'. The Doctor is in there as part of the mix but this isn't a Doctor episode, or a Janeway one, or a Seven one. It's a bittersweet look at a Vulcan and the final scene with Noss , sigh..

2. Sophie74656

Sophie74656 Commodore Commodore

I do enjoy this episode. I liked the flashback to young Tuvok. It was interesting to see how he was going to abandon logic for the love of a girl. Of course you know me, I loved the little scene where Noss was asking Tom about B'Elanna ;)

Iseult likes this.
  3. Refuge

There were a couple of 'extra' moments in that episode Tom advising Tuvok. I was thinking if Tuvok and Tom thought they were on the planet for good their rank would be in the past and it was like Tom was moving down that road, he was quite familiar with Tuvok. It WAS a nice touch hearing Tom confide in the others about his feelings for B'Ellana and see how amused and a little miffed he was when they got back and she had only thought he had been gone for a few hours.

Nice little realistic touch regards the universal translator. Every time you watch science fiction and everyone speaks English.. it's like the elephant in the room we all choose to ignore. Watching them try and communicate with Noss and then the relief when the Doctor still with his translator had no trouble.

4. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know. There are numerous episodes where they are caught without communicators. so at some point, we all ignore the language ex machina.

5. Sophie74656

Right, at some point there HAS to be things that you HAVE to overlook because it's a tv show.

In this regard some things I like about the books have to do with the translator. Off the top of my head I can't remember which book, but it was described as a doubling effect when talking to an alien. They would hear the alien's own speech then the transaltion over it.

Also along those lines one of my favorite moments ever was in a novel. I believe it was the FURY series where Janeway, Neelix and Tuvok are stuck in an alien jail cell and their comm badges are taken away. They mention something like oh if we only had our comm badges and then Neelix pulls off his boot and like 5 of them fall out. He says something like I don't understand why you guys don't carry a dozen of these things with you all the time.

6. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a great question, neelix. Oh, that's funny. I read a lot of dislike for this episode. Personally, I always rewatch Gravity.

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This one had Tank Girl in it! I felt sad for her, falling for Tuvok.

8. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And CGI spider hunts:techman:

9. Refuge

NOSS: More spiders?
    PARIS: Oh, no, thank you. Three's my limit.

Iseult and Prax like this.
  10. Iseult

Iseult Ensign Red Shirt

I love episodes that hint at just how deeply Vulcans truly feel things, even if it doesn't show.

11. Sophie74656

That's the interesting thing about Vulcans. They want you to think they don't have emotions, but they do. Incredibly strong ones. That was the reason they decided to supress them.

The best quote from Muse:
    KELIS: The land of Vulcan has no laughter, and it has no tears. It is a very quiet place. Calm, just like Tuvok.
    JERO: I can't believe that.
    KELIS: You don't have to, just don't cry.
    JERO: The audience won't believe it either. They'll either think Tuvok is an unfeeling monster, or that I am a bad performer.
    KELIS: They'll realise that beneath your unfeeling exterior is a heart that's breaking, silently, and in more pain than any of us can possibly understand, because that's what it is to be Vulcan

Iseult and Refuge like this.
  12. Iseult

Iseult Ensign Red Shirt

That's the exact scene I was thinking of too.