Gravitational Waves - Updates today!

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Data Holmes, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

http://www.techinsider.io/gravitational-wave-nature-ligo-february-11-2016-2

This could make things get interesting if true.

PurpleBuddha and Dryson like this.
  2. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

And? Where are your own thoughts? What would you like to discuss?

I get that people want to share news but you guys know that you're supposed to at least add some original content to spark a discussion. This is a discussion forum, not a tumblr where you just drop a link and walk away.

Closed, until at least 11 Feb when we might get a confirmation of the news. If it turns out to be true I'll open it again because people will want to cheer. :p

Dryson and Data Holmes like this.
  3. { Emilia }

Data Holmes, PurpleBuddha and SPCTRE like this.
  4. PurpleBuddha

PurpleBuddha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is simply outstanding! So much power was generated and those black holes weren't even particularly that massive relatively speaking.

Kemaiku and Data Holmes like this.
  5. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

Just saw this on French 24, of all News Outlets. They stated that the discovery opened up a whole new area of study, "Gravitational Astronomy". Gonna dig into this, and try and grok it.

See what we can do, when we put all the nonsense and crappola aside!

Data Holmes likes this.
  6. Data Holmes

During the press conference they mentioned two more ground observation stations coming online in the next three years, and a space based one as well.

7. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

Now that gravitational waves have been proven true can it be said that gravitational waves are in fact what spacd - time really is?

I will be the first one to say it as I always do.

If gravitational waves are in fact the ocean of space-time then like water gravity can be displaced to allow a boat to travel smoothly and elongantly across the surface.

I will also say that gravitional waves have different phases much like the ocean does. Some days a gravitational wave would be also smooth like a sheet of glass. Other times gravitational waves would be like the large 25 foot high swells in a storm.

The question is how does an object travel down one valley of the wave using less energy but in fact gain more velocity?

A lot of new and fascinating things will be discovered.

I will also be the first one to say that the collision between the two black holes could have caused the gravitational wave to impact Earth killing the dinosaurs and causing an evolutional flip.

Gravitational waves from the same collision could have been what flipped planets on their side as well.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  8. PurpleBuddha

The waves are made by gravity but aren't actually made of gravity. That would be like throwing a pebble in a pond, seeing the ripples it makes, and then concluding the pond is made of displaced pebbles.

Data Holmes likes this.
  9. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yes. Those who bothered to read know that gravitational waves distort space (and thus time) and not gravity. Being caused by gravity is not the same as being gravity--it's kind of an important distinction.

Data Holmes likes this.
  10. { Emilia }

Don't derail the thread with nonsensical tinfoil-hat theories. People would like to discuss the actual scientific discovery here.
    If you want to start wild theories about how this affected the dinosaurs, go ahead and do that in the Misc forum, not here.

I'm only asking once. Don't try and derail the thread by making it about one of your crazy theories.

Comments to PM.

11. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Here is another article about the discover written today. Funny that Einstein started to doubt the waves even existed. By the 1960s scientist were pretty sure they did exist and in the 1970s they were positive they existed because of scientist work that computed changes in orbits of two colliding stars. Now they have actually detected the waves.

Wow it took 100 years but now we have heard them and know without a shred of doubt. Really cool news.

http://news.yahoo.com/breakthrough-scientists-detect-einstein-predicted-ripples-154314697.html

12. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

He was pretty sure gravitational waves would not be proven to exist. Awesome day for science!

13. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Yup. One of the greatest intellects of the 20th Century is still making news. Incredible legacy.

14. Dryson

Dryson Commodore Commodore

Don't worry I'll take my nonsensical tinfoil-hat theories directly to LIGO and post the responses that I get.

15. { Emilia }

Which part of "Comments to PM" did you not get? Stop it.

16. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

So, it's been mentioned that gravitational waves will enable a new kind of astronomy, additionally to what we have now. While this is true in theory, isn't that still rather far away in practice? It was very difficult to detect even this event so I don't see this method going mainstream soon. Am I off the mark?

17. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

There's a good article here basically covering that:
    http://gizmodo.com/weve-found-gravitational-waves-now-what-1755125155

18. Data Holmes

This event sounded like it was a bit of a fluke, being detected in the middle of an equipment test. The one guy in the press conference said the sensors were only calibrated to about a third of their sensitivity.

19. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Thanks. That's a very informative article. It does sound as if this method is still in its infancy - which was my impression - but that it can nevertheless bring insights we weren't able to get before.

20. PurpleBuddha

Please post your comment there word for word what you posted here and the provide a link for us to the thread.

Data Holmes likes this.