Grace Lee Whitney (Yeomand Rand)

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by TiberiusK, Jul 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TiberiusK

TiberiusK Captain Captain

2. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

I read her book.

I bet you it was either that womanizing Gene Roddenberry or Herb Solow the studio executive who had power over all of them.

There is no way Whitney can come out and slander GR considering how much esteem the Star Trek fans have of the man in their eyes, and Herb Solow is still alive the last I checked.

3. TiberiusK

^^^
    I thought that at first too (GR), because it really fits his profile. But she also speaks fondly of GR at times in the book (sort of).

One clue: the polished stone.

I remember reading somewhere that Gene's first wife Eileen collected rare stones and gems. Or maybe it was Coon's first wife.

Something like Justman went to someone's house to have dinner and he brought some jewels for somebody's wife who collected them.

4. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I think it was Gene as well.

By that time Gene had already bagged Nichelle, right?

anyone know why Nichelle wanted to leave?

5. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

According to Bob Justman in "Inside Star Trek," it was definitely Gene Roddenberry's first wife who collected stones to make lovely...I don't know what the words for them are, but those clear, colorful glass wall type things that people build in living rooms with colorful stones embedded in them.

Sexual harassment, rape, and the casting couch is quite common in Hollywood. And it is hard to prosecute stars, producers, directors, and executives in powerful positions without solid evidence, because there is a good chance of being blacklisted from Hollywood when you make accusations like that. Sadly, if Whitney ended up going after "the executive" who sexually harassed her without solid evidence, as backlash, there is a high probability that she would have risked being labeled by her employers as drunk, difficult, and a slut. And it would have been their word against hers. It is no wonder she kept silent for all those years. :borg:

6. TiberiusK

Do you know the pages for that? I can't seem to find it in my copy. Think that is just circumstantial evidence?

7. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

^^^
    I do recall reading about someone from TOS collecting stones to decorate in their house. Like you, I remember reading it.

And I do remember it was one of the older members of TOS, married, and American. So that narrows it down to Gene Roddenberry, DeForest Kelley, and Bob Justman. And for my money, I would say that it was Bob Justman who was either invited over to Roddenberry or Kelley's home to observe that stone decoration in the living room.

8. TiberiusK

She wrote in her autobiography that she wanted to leave because Uhura's lines kept getting cut. It was only after MLK jr. told her she was a role model that she decided to stay.

But, there was something going on between her and GR. At one time, someone walked into GR's office to find Nichols in nothing but one of GR's sweaters. Nichols tried to play this off as a practical joke played on someone (I can't remember who) but other accounts are more straightforward. She was sleeping with GR during the first season.

9. TiberiusK

Geez I can't find it, but I'm almost positive it was Roddenberry's first wife. I'll look for it again. Thanks GWR.

Isn't that kind of sick though? GR stole a stone from his wife's collection to use as a thank you gift for a BJ from an actress.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Idle speculation of who perpetrated a sexual assault in the 60s, on an open Star Trek forum 40 years later, is really not appropriate. Or fair.

Any male executive who ever worked at Desilu is suddenly suspect. Even if they have since died, their relatives may Google this rubbish. Ick.

Grace didn't feel the need to name the guy, so why should we even speculate? Any dispute/disagreement/rift she ever had with Gene R. was patched up at a Star Trek convention in 1977 or so, which is how he came to write her character back into "ST: Phase II", which became ST: TMP.

TribbleFeeder likes this.
  11. pookha

pookha Admiral Admiral

therin is right. this really isnt a productive thread and just about everytime it comes up it leds to a lot of unfounded speculation about something very serious.

as therin also pointed out if one counts in the nbc and desilu execs there are a broad number of people it could be aimed at.

and to speculate on some reference to polished stone and whether someone might have a mosiac (a pretty common thing in that day) is going a little too far.

12. Tino

Tino Captain Captain

You're kidding, they were? Well, seems that GR's own philosophy worked well for
    him in real life. He had no problem having sex with a black woman back in the 60's. ;-)

13. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

It was over before she was hired for ST, as I understand it.

14. TiberiusK

I think it's unfair to blame Wise for not letting her wear makeup as a way to punish her for a practical joke gone wrong. Were any actresses besides baldy allowed to wear makeup in Wise's sterile, monotone, and drab set?

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

It was not really the practical joke. Wise had seen her TV episodes and told her, "Kirk shouldn't have a geisha girl". But yes, Grace had turned up for TMP shooting on Day 1 in full glam makeup, and Wise ordered her to wash it off. (I got this all from Grace herself in 1982.)

Persis was permitted to have all her studio stills sent out for expensive airbrushing. She was worried a five-o'clock shadow would show... daily black stubble on a smooth, pale head.

Majel got to wear makeup because she was the boss's wife (as in no one challenged her). And probably because she towered over Wise and he couldn't look her right in the eye. ;)

16. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Nichelle Nichols looks like she had makeup on as well.
    [​IMG]

17. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I was happy to see her back in Star Trek:The Motion Picture and her appearance in SFS, TVH and TUC. I still think that she should have had her signature at the end of TUC too.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Phaser Two and Pauln6 like this.
  18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the TMP shots with the full cast. The promo shots and the end of STIV are the only times all nine of the main recurring cast all appeared together. It's a shame that Grace doesn't come onto the bridge with Majel and Scotty at the end of TMP. A shot in the movie with all of them would have been awesome.

Yeah, she was the female lead, she was treated very badly, and she was possibly largely responsible for the mini skirts that made Trek so iconic. They owed her a bit more credit than they gave, for sure. But then I wanted Majel involved in STVI too so...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Galileo7 likes this.
  19. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

The detail of the polished stones removed any doubt in my mind about who "The Executive" really was.

20. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Please refer to the posting rules, pinned at the top of the forum.

This thread has been dead for 10 years!

Let's let it rest in peace.

Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.