Gorn Battlecruiser

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Icy_Penguigo, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Icy_Penguigo

Icy_Penguigo Captain Captain

I present the Gorn Battlecruiser. The Gorn designs from the SFU are a lot of people's least favorites. I actually think they match their creators very well though, and for that reason I like them. They're not graceful or elegant, but clunky, solid, and ready to rumble. They can dish out big damage, but they can also take hits like champs because of their durable designs. Pretty much like the Gorns themselves. Plus, they're a buttload of fun to nab a hated Romulan in a tractor beam with and then jam 200 points of plasma torpedoes right down his throat. :devil:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Comments, anyone?

2. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Oooooh, interesting! Although I have to say I'm not a big fan of all-green starships... if it had been me I would have at least varied the base shades of green a little more. Still, it's a gorgeous model... love the warp nacelles especially... something faintly reptilian-looking about them. :thumbsup:

3. Icy_Penguigo

It's actually just flat gray. The greenish hue is just the lighting.

And thanks. :)

4. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

I like your model and the underlying design -- although I'm unclear about why the forward and aft "squashed spheres" would have the same basic appearance when their apparent design functions would seem to be quite different. Maybe it's just an aesthetic thing.

5. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Really? I think this is actually one of the more appealing SFU designs. Not that you don't render them well, just most of them aren't my cup of tea.

6. RedSpar

RedSpar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Very nice... I also really like SFB Gorn ships as well. Looks more 'alien' than a lot of other ships designs.

It's a Gorn ship design staple, just like all Fed ships usually have a saucer, Romulan ships look bird-like, etc..

7. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Very intriguing. Overall I rather like this design of yours. Well done.

8. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looks good to me :thumbsup:

9. PlanetMudd

PlanetMudd Lieutenant Red Shirt

"That makes me Gorny, Baby, YEAH!"

Gratuitous Gornish Goodness! At the risk of sounding repetitious, great Job, once again!

JM.

10. Herald

Herald Lieutenant Red Shirt

It looks "merciful and swift". :thumbsup:

11. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Not to mention "merciful and quick." ;)

12. Icy_Penguigo

The Gorn legislature is notoriously parsimonious. Because of this, their military has to cut costs in whatever way they can. One of the ways they do this is by using as many standardized components in their ships as possible.

The "bubble" hull modules are designed so that they can all be built in the same factories. Different modules can be built with modified internal arrangements, but they save costs by having them all use one standardized production facility. Gorn ships of different sizes are created by adding or subtracting bubbles from the basic design. The end result is an extremely streamlined and efficient production line that keeps the penny-pinching legislators happy.

13. Relayer

Relayer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The shuttle bays and the nacelles are fabulous! Interesting how you did the phasers divided above and below the centerline. I've always seen then mounted at the midpoint. Which compared with the other races would give them a huge advantage in 3D (Something that doesn't apply in SFB's 2D universe, I know.) The Regs look cool too.
    Maybe redo the plating a bit where the pylons attach to the hull so they integrate better. Right now they look "stuck on".

14. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've finally figured out what I love about these clunky ships: they bring back that anarchic time from the 70s and early 80s when Trek was largely uncharted and was whatever the fans wanted it to be. In a way, the Trek universe only got smaller as it got bigger.

15. Bernard Guignard

Bernard Guignard Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Great work there you really brought out some nice details
    wish I Could do that sort of work on the Minis :D Keep it up

16. Icy_Penguigo

I completely agree. I think modern Trek has a lot of great stuff in it, but I've met a lot of fans who are rather closed-minded about concepts that deviate from the mold set by TNG and onward. (No one on this board, of course ;))

Thanks everyone!